• JamWil
  • 0 Points
  • Member since 2009

  • Chatter
  • 0
    Best Answers
  • 0
    Likes Received
  • 0
    Likes Given
  • 1
  • 2

Hi there


I have been trying to get the Excel Connector to download data from either the Accounts or Contacts tables in EE without success. The instance has a B-C setup (Person Accounts). To add to this, the Accounts Tab has been renamed as "Customers". I have been able to download from all tables in this instance except the Accounts and Contacts tables. I have been able to download data from other tables in the instance where the Tab has been renamed - ie I suspect that the renaming of the Accounts Tab is not relevant. I am using the 6.16pe version inside Excel 2003 SP3.


Any ideas how to get this to work?


Please ignore. I have just been reading another post and it occurred to me to try a later version of the API (I had tried everything else). I have been using v6.0 as installed, but got results on both Accounts and Contacts by using v15.0.


To quote Jakester:

"Make sure that you're using the latest API with the connector - you can set this by going to Options and then the Advanced Tab in sforce connector. Enter this version: https://www.salesforce.com/services/Soap/c/15.0 "


Thx James

Message Edited by JamWil on 03-05-2009 02:04 AM
  • March 05, 2009
  • Like
  • 0

Our application overrides the tab for an custom object with a Visualforce page.

The tab URL itself is set by salesforce & always goes to the "/servlet/servlet.Integration" page provided by salesforce.  A series of redirects takes place and the user is eventually redirect to our app's Visualforce domain (https://i.xyz.visual.force.com/apex/aaPendingAddrs).

In the past week or so, something has broken in this redirect sequence.  Specifically, logging into to multiple salesforce instances no longer works.  Once you have visited a Visualforce page in one instance, you have to completely close your browser before you can use a Visualforce page on another instance.  Using the "logout" functionality does not work - you must completely close all browser windows.

It appears that salesforce is setting a session-length cookie in the global ".salesforce.com" domain that holds which instance should serve your Visualforce pages.  This behavior is new, and has severe consequences.  We've gotten a lot of customer calls, and we've seen problems crop up strangely multiple times.


I spent some time this morning documenting what I could find.  I doubt the bug is restricted solely to tabs-overriden-with-Visualforce-pages .. this probably happens whenever Visualforce pages are used.



The bug strikes in a variety of ways.  In my examples below, I first logged into an EE instance on NA4 and then logged into an EE "test edition" org on NA5.  If you watch the AVI's carefully, you will see the URL change unexpectedly from one instance back to the other.




1.  Login to instance 1 (na4), go to Visualforce page, then login to instance 2 (na5), then go to the Visualforce tab.  Salesforce will try to redirect to an incorrect (non-namespaced) URL in instance 1 (na4):

Here are AVIs of the bug in Firefox, IE, and Chrome.

Here's a snapshot of the error screen:



Here's a snapshot of Firebug (Firefox dev. plugin) tracing the redirect from na5 to na4:





2.  Similar to above, but try to be a good citizen and "logout" between logins:  Login to instance 1, go to Visualforce page, logout, login to instance 2, go to the visualforce tab.  Salesforce will launch into an infinite redirect loop that ends with an error being displayed to the user (exactly which error depends on the browser).

Here are AVIs of the bug in Firefox, IE, and Chrome.

Here's a snapshot of the "infinite loop" message in firefox:






3.  Depending on the sequence of clicks, you can also get a situation where no visible error occurs BUT when you click to a Visualforce page on one instance, you actually end up in the other instance.  This might be the worst way that the bug strikes, because you are silently in the wrong build!

Here's an AVI of that happening in Firefox.  I use two tabs (one in each instance) to show the sequence of clicks.  Note the first tab (na4) ends up at na5 when I click the "Emails" tab!

 Salesforce: I have opened case 02627980 to track this issue.
Message Edited by jhart on 05-04-2009 11:11 AM
  • May 04, 2009
  • Like
  • 0