• 5 Points
  • Member since 2010

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
I am using the dataloader via command line for many items.  I am able to extract the records I want to delete but when I do the process that uses that csv file to delete the records I get error "Delete operations can only have a single column of IDs".  I took that same file and was able to manaully do it through the dataloader.  I am doing the delete on the Asset object. 
  • March 19, 2014
I have a custom object that links to a standard object via a junction object.  On my custom object I have a field that needs to be a summary of values on the standard object.  I see 2 solutions:
1)  Create a trigger on the standard object so that when the standard object counts are updated it processes and updates my custom object
    -  Pro:  my number in my custom object will always reflect correctly if using report
    -  Con: seems like a lot of system usage.
2)  Create a Visualforce page and hide it on the custom object page.  When the user views the item then the number is updated
    -  Pro:  Won't use as much system resources
    -  Con:  Won't have update numbers on objects if they do reports.  The number is only updated when someone opens it from the front end.

I would like to know what others experiences have been regarding this and what they found best.
  • February 13, 2014
I have heard recently that it is best to put all the code into one trigger and create classes for each function.  However, I watched a training module and it said to break it out into separate triggers.  What is right?
  • February 05, 2014

I have some additional fields on my VisualForce page that are not part of the Case Object.  I don't know how to add those validation errors to the system generated validation errors (AccountID, ContactID, etc) that I display on the page. 

I use the following:

ApexPages.addMessage(new ApexPages.Message(ApexPages.Severity.Error,'Asset:  You must enter a value'));

HOWEVER this only appears AFTER I have resolved all the system validations errors.  I don't want them to have to click 2x if they have errors.

I also tried ===immediate="true"=== on the button that I have.

HOWEVER then I don't see any of the object data(AccountID, ContactID, etc).

Any idea what to do?

• November 16, 2013

We have about 15 account Page Layouts for our users(internal and partner).  There is a related list that I want to pull differently than what Salesforce offers.  I am not sure how good it is to override the standard layout for the one list to be different.  From what I can tell this means I have to write something that redirects users to either a standard page or the custom VF page.  Every time a layout change needs to be made then we have to do development rather than the drag and drop. 

What has been your experiences on overriding the pages?  Is it really no big deal in maintenance, creation, etc or has it been an issue? 

• October 16, 2013

I have a visualforce page that I created and put at the top of the Account, Opportunity, etc.  It displays a message if there is one to show.  If not I would like it to not appear at all.  I don't see how to remove the visualforce page or resize it to nothing.  The only option that I can see is to use a different layout and I don't want to duplicate layouts for a message box.  Any suggestions? 

• October 11, 2013

How do I get a pop up when the user clicks on Save(Opportunity and Case)?  I just have to give them messages that they have to say OK to.  I don't see how I do it...I found an article over 2 years old but it doesn't come close to working for me.  What am I missing?

• October 07, 2013

I am looking at a custom object that will be associated to our Assets.  There will be many lines per asset and it totals 6+ million records in all.  This will take us over our data limit(Enterprise Edition).  They will want these items viewable on the pages for Assets and Accounts and to do reporting with the data.  This data is currently stored in a db that is not accessible outside the company.  What are some solutions?

Here are some options I see.

1)  Request more data and pay more $ for the extra storage

Is it really expensive? 

2)  Query the data from a different DB on the fly.

What are all the issues with this?  Security, limits.  Will this really work with reporting in SF?

3)???

That is all I have come up with so far.

• July 09, 2013

Is there a way to do a "find" and "replace" in Salesforce?  I have a record type name that is put into validation rules, workflows, approval process, etc.  The business wants to change the name but I see it being a good size effort to make the change.  Is there a method I don't know about to make it easier?

• May 23, 2013

I have a object that is linked to Case, Opportunity, Account, Lead, and contact.  This is a 3rd party vendor object and is added via a related list.  I have made the overall sharing rule Private and opened it up based on profile. 

I have one profile that should only see the information if they are the owner of the Account that any of the object belong to.  So if Bill owns account A and Account A is the Account Associated to Case B then they can see the related list information. 

How do I do this?  I can't make it controlled by parent, which is what would be the best.  I am at a loss.

• May 14, 2013

I am looking at some of the practice exams and there are a couple of questions I don't agree with and was wondering if anyone can explain why the answers are what they are.

1)  A workflow rule can only be triggered when a record is created. 

(Answer is true).  Why would that be if a workflow can be triggered when a record is updated?

2)  Validation rules are executed when using the data loader (I don't remember the exact wording)

(Answer is false)  I have used the data loader many times and if the records don’t meet the validation rules it will error out.  Why is the answer false?

Can they just be old questions that have changed?

• May 01, 2013

I load data into a PageBlockTable in edit mode.  I want to allow the users to edit the Quantity and Unit Price.  When either of these values are changed I need my Total Price to change.  Currently I am trying to get the Value from the Quantity field and display it the "Rerender Example" section just to see if the value is being passed and it always comes up blank.  I am using actionSupport.  I know I am missing something that connects these together but I can't figure out what from all the examples I have found on line.

1)  How do I pass the value of a row to the controller to modify another value on the same row?

VF page code:

<apex:page Controller="dataListCon1" id="thePage">

<apex:form ID="Selling">
<apex:pageBlock title="Mass Edit" mode="edit">
            <apex:pageBlockButtons >
                <apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="Save"/>
                <apex:commandButton value="Cancel" action="{!cancel}"/>
            </apex:pageBlockButtons>
              <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!ypItems}" var="yp" ID="theTable" rowClasses="odd,even" styleClass="tableClass">
            <apex:facet name="caption"></apex:facet>
                <apex:column >
                      <apex:facet name="header">Name</apex:facet>
                      <apex:outputText value="{!yp.name}"/>
                </apex:column>
                      <apex:facet name="header">Product Name</apex:facet>
                      <apex:outputText value="{!yp.yptrimble__Product__r.Name}"/>
                        <apex:facet name="header">Quantity</apex:facet>
                        <apex:inputField ID="Quantity" value="{!yp.yptrimble__Quantity__c}" required="true" >
                          <apex:param name="para" value="{!yp.yptrimble__Quantity__c}" assignTo="{!para}"/>
                          <apex:actionSupport event="onchange" rerender="qvalue" status="refreshstatus"/>
                        </apex:inputField>
                        <apex:facet name="header">Unit Price</apex:facet>
                        <apex:inputField ID="UnitPrice" value="{!yp.yptrimble__Unit_Price__c}" required="true" />
                        <apex:facet name="header">Total Price</apex:facet>
                        <apex:outputText ID="TotalPrice" value="{!yp.yptrimble__Total_Price__c}"/>
                        <apex:facet name="header">Service Date</apex:facet>
                        <apex:outputText value="{!yp.yptrimble__Service_Date__c}"/>
         </apex:pageBlockTable>
       </apex:pageBlock>
          <apex:pageBlock >
       <apex:sectionHeader title="Rerender Example"/>      
           <apex:actionStatus id="refreshstatus" startstyle="color:green;" startText="Refreshing...."></apex:actionStatus>  
           <apex:outputpanel id="qvalue">
               <apex:outputtext value="{!para}"/>
           </apex:outputpanel>  
   </apex:form>
</apex:page>

Controller Code:

public class dataListCon1 {

public String para{
        get;

set{
           para= value;

}
    }

public dataListCon1() {

}
        List<yptrimble__Quote_Line_Item__c> ypItems;

public List<yptrimble__Quote_Line_Item__c> getYpitems()
        {
            if(ypItems== null) ypItems= [select name,id,YPTRIMBLE__QUANTITY__C,YPTRIMBLE__SERVICE_DATE__C,
                    YPTRIMBLE__TOTAL_PRICE__C,YPTRIMBLE__UNIT_PRICE__C, YPTRIMBLE__PRODUCT__C, yptrimble__Product__r.Name
                    from yptrimble__Quote_Line_Item__c
                    where YPTRIMBLE__QUOTE__C =:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('Id')];
            return ypItems;
        }

public PageReference save()
        {
          Update ypItems;
          PageReference pageRef = new PageReference('https://cs17.salesforce.com/' + ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('Id'));
          return pageRef;
        }

public PageReference cancel()
     {
            PageReference pageRef = new PageReference('https://cs17.salesforce.com/' + ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('Id'));
            return pageRef;
    }
}

• January 15, 2013

This is my first VF page and I am trying to get it to change the Total Price field when Quanity is changed.  From what I have seen I can do this with JavaScript.  I have added it to my VF but I must be missing a step that doesn't kick off the JavaScript. 

The code pulls a list of data to allow my users to edit the Quantiy and Unit Price, but if I figure out Quantity then Unit Price will be the same process.

VF Page Code:

<script type="text/javascript">
  function updateTotalPrice(){
     Quantity=document.getElementById("Quantity").value;
    unitprice = document.getElementById("UnitPrice").value;
    document.getElementById("TotalPrice").value = Quantity * unitprice ;
  }
</script>

<apex:form id="Selling">
              <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!ypItems}" var="yp" id="theTable" rowClasses="odd,even" styleClass="tableClass">
            <apex:facet name="caption">table caption</apex:facet>
                        <apex:inputField id="Quantity" value="{!yp.yptrimble__Quantity__c}" required="true" rendered="true" onchange="updateTotalPrice('{!$Component.UnitPrice}','{!yp.yptrimble__Total_Price__c}','{!$Component.Quantity}'));"/>
                        <apex:inputField id="UnitPrice" value="{!yp.yptrimble__Unit_Price__c}" required="true" />
                        <apex:outputText id="TotalPrice" value="{!yp.yptrimble__Total_Price__c}"/>

Here is the controller:

public with sharing class dataListCon1 {

public dataListCon1() {

}

{
            if(ypItems== null) ypItems= [select name,id,YPTRIMBLE__QUANTITY__C,YPTRIMBLE__SERVICE_DATE__C,
                    a.YPTRIMBLE__TOTAL_PRICE__C,a.YPTRIMBLE__UNIT_PRICE__C, a.YPTRIMBLE__PRODUCT__C, yptrimble__Product__r.Name
                    from yptrimble__Quote_Line_Item__c as a
                    where a.YPTRIMBLE__QUOTE__C =:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('Id')];
            return ypItems;
        }

{
          Update ypItems;
          return pageRef;
        }

{
            return pageRef;
    }
}

• January 11, 2013

I have an custom object that is linked to the Product2 table via a lookup.  My custom object api is called "Quote_Line_Item__c".  In that I have a lookup to the proudct and the Child Relationship name is "Quote_Line_Items" the api name is "Product__c".  I have tried every different way to be able to be able to pull back the product name but I just can't get it to link.  It always tells me "If you are attempting to use a custom relationship, be sure to append the '__r'".  I have tried many differnet ways and always get the same thing :(  Here is what I think should work.

I would think that I should be able to put this in my select and make it work.

Quote_Line_Item__c.Quote_Line_Items__r.Name

any suggestions on what I am doing wrong??

• January 10, 2013

I have an object that is linked to an Opportunity.  When this object is updated it needs to update the opportunity.  However, in some cases the opportunity is in an approval process and this causes the error "; first error: ENTITY_IS_LOCKED, the entity is locked for editing: []".  Can I use the RunAs to make the class run under an administrator because even though this opp is locked it needs to be updated.  I only see runas used in Test Classes.

Thanks,

Tena

• January 03, 2013

I have a question.  I have a user that wants access to schedule reports.  This is just a gernal user that is somewhat a lead of a group.  I feel as though it isn't a good access to give just anyone becasue with our version we only get 24 of these and what happens when we have reached our limit and have to start paying for them.  I don't want to have to worry about going an cleaning up what is being sent out once we get there or what has been setup that may keep being sent once someone leaves.  Do most people give this access out?  Is it really not a big deal?

• December 18, 2012

I have some logic that determines if a approval process needs to be kicked off for an Opportunity that I build into Apex code.  I don't see how I can send the approval process to certain people(may be more than one) and then kick off another one based on certain criteria.  I have code that kicks off an approval process but not one that I choose by name, meaning if I create "First Approval Process" how do I kick off that one without having to create criteria under "Approval Process" section for the "First Approval Process"?  Do I even need to create a Approval Process in order to initiate approval process or can I do all of it through Apex code.

Here is what I have that kicks off an Approval Process that I have created with criteria but I find in cumbersome that I can't choose which approval process to kick off.

//create the new approval request to submit    
            Approval.ProcessSubmitRequest req = new Approval.ProcessSubmitRequest();
            //set the approvers, can only be one :(
            req.setNextApproverIds(approversId);
            req.setComments('Submitted for approval. Please approve.');
              req.setObjectId(EachFlowOpportunity[i].Id);
              // submit the approval request for processing.  How do I choose to kick off "First Approval Process"
              Approval.ProcessResult result = Approval.process(req);

• October 31, 2012

I have apex code that works on kicking off an approval process based on numbers that I have defined.  However, sometimes the approval may need to be routed to more than one person when it is kicked off.  I can't get it to work in sending the approval to more than one person. 

Here is the code...don't know what is wrong.  It should work becasue setNextApproverIds accepts a list.

//list of ids that need to be sent the approval request

List<String> approversID = new List<String>();

//create the new approval request to submit    
                    Approval.ProcessSubmitRequest req = new Approval.ProcessSubmitRequest();
                    //set approvers
                    req.setNextApproverIds(approversId);
                    req.setComments('Submitted for approval. Please approve.');
                    req.setObjectId(EachFlowOpportunity[i].Id);
                    // submit the approval request for processi

• May 09, 2012

I am new to apex and the idea to bulkify.  I have a table that will be updated.  I then take these updates and modify an account/contact based on an ID other than the Salesforce ID. I can't seem to find any examples of doing this but imagine that it must be possible.  I am doing this in a class and not the trigger.

I have found several examples on how to query the data via the Salesforce ID but not an alternate field.  Currently I am putting all the changes that are being requested into a list.  I then want to take that list of IDs(custom id) and query the data.

//Here are the account that I want to update

list<Account> accounts

//Here I am creating a set of the ids to query from

Set <ID> aId = new Set<ID>();
        for (Account ac : accounts)
            aID.add(ac.mtp_Account_ID__c);

//here I want to query all the accounts in the list above.

List<Account> AccountExists = [select id,MTP_Account_ID__c from Account where MTP_Account_ID__c in :aid];

I get that the number being passed is an invalid ID.  Which is true if looking for Salesforce ID but I want to use my custom ID to query from.  I not sure what I am missing....

Thanks,

Tena

• October 07, 2011

I am new to Salesforce development.  I was asked to provide a way for data to be passed to Salesforce from an outside source.  My first thought was to use the Web service functionality but then I watched one of the Developer courses and the instructor said not to use a Web service but to create a Visualforce page with a controller.  What is the best method?  I will not be creating the gui that the users will enter the information into.  Any other best practice tips would be great.

Tena

• September 19, 2011
I have a custom object that links to a standard object via a junction object.  On my custom object I have a field that needs to be a summary of values on the standard object.  I see 2 solutions:
1)  Create a trigger on the standard object so that when the standard object counts are updated it processes and updates my custom object
    -  Pro:  my number in my custom object will always reflect correctly if using report
    -  Con: seems like a lot of system usage.
2)  Create a Visualforce page and hide it on the custom object page.  When the user views the item then the number is updated
    -  Pro:  Won't use as much system resources
    -  Con:  Won't have update numbers on objects if they do reports.  The number is only updated when someone opens it from the front end.

I would like to know what others experiences have been regarding this and what they found best.
  • February 13, 2014
I am using the dataloader via command line for many items.  I am able to extract the records I want to delete but when I do the process that uses that csv file to delete the records I get error "Delete operations can only have a single column of IDs".  I took that same file and was able to manaully do it through the dataloader.  I am doing the delete on the Asset object. 
  • March 19, 2014
I have heard recently that it is best to put all the code into one trigger and create classes for each function.  However, I watched a training module and it said to break it out into separate triggers.  What is right?
  • February 05, 2014

I have some additional fields on my VisualForce page that are not part of the Case Object.  I don't know how to add those validation errors to the system generated validation errors (AccountID, ContactID, etc) that I display on the page. 

I use the following:

ApexPages.addMessage(new ApexPages.Message(ApexPages.Severity.Error,'Asset:  You must enter a value'));

HOWEVER this only appears AFTER I have resolved all the system validations errors.  I don't want them to have to click 2x if they have errors.

I also tried ===immediate="true"=== on the button that I have.

HOWEVER then I don't see any of the object data(AccountID, ContactID, etc).

Any idea what to do?

• November 16, 2013

How do I get a pop up when the user clicks on Save(Opportunity and Case)?  I just have to give them messages that they have to say OK to.  I don't see how I do it...I found an article over 2 years old but it doesn't come close to working for me.  What am I missing?

• October 07, 2013

I have a object that is linked to Case, Opportunity, Account, Lead, and contact.  This is a 3rd party vendor object and is added via a related list.  I have made the overall sharing rule Private and opened it up based on profile. 

I have one profile that should only see the information if they are the owner of the Account that any of the object belong to.  So if Bill owns account A and Account A is the Account Associated to Case B then they can see the related list information. 

How do I do this?  I can't make it controlled by parent, which is what would be the best.  I am at a loss.

• May 14, 2013

I am looking at some of the practice exams and there are a couple of questions I don't agree with and was wondering if anyone can explain why the answers are what they are.

1)  A workflow rule can only be triggered when a record is created. 

(Answer is true).  Why would that be if a workflow can be triggered when a record is updated?

2)  Validation rules are executed when using the data loader (I don't remember the exact wording)

(Answer is false)  I have used the data loader many times and if the records don’t meet the validation rules it will error out.  Why is the answer false?

Can they just be old questions that have changed?

• May 01, 2013

This is my first VF page and I am trying to get it to change the Total Price field when Quanity is changed.  From what I have seen I can do this with JavaScript.  I have added it to my VF but I must be missing a step that doesn't kick off the JavaScript. 

The code pulls a list of data to allow my users to edit the Quantiy and Unit Price, but if I figure out Quantity then Unit Price will be the same process.

VF Page Code:

<script type="text/javascript">
  function updateTotalPrice(){
     Quantity=document.getElementById("Quantity").value;
    unitprice = document.getElementById("UnitPrice").value;
    document.getElementById("TotalPrice").value = Quantity * unitprice ;
  }
</script>

<apex:form id="Selling">
              <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!ypItems}" var="yp" id="theTable" rowClasses="odd,even" styleClass="tableClass">
            <apex:facet name="caption">table caption</apex:facet>
                        <apex:inputField id="Quantity" value="{!yp.yptrimble__Quantity__c}" required="true" rendered="true" onchange="updateTotalPrice('{!$Component.UnitPrice}','{!yp.yptrimble__Total_Price__c}','{!$Component.Quantity}'));"/>
                        <apex:inputField id="UnitPrice" value="{!yp.yptrimble__Unit_Price__c}" required="true" />
                        <apex:outputText id="TotalPrice" value="{!yp.yptrimble__Total_Price__c}"/>

Here is the controller:

public with sharing class dataListCon1 {

public dataListCon1() {

}

{
                    a.YPTRIMBLE__TOTAL_PRICE__C,a.YPTRIMBLE__UNIT_PRICE__C, a.YPTRIMBLE__PRODUCT__C, yptrimble__Product__r.Name
                    from yptrimble__Quote_Line_Item__c as a
                    where a.YPTRIMBLE__QUOTE__C =:ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('Id')];
            return ypItems;
        }

{
          Update ypItems;
          return pageRef;
        }

{
            return pageRef;
    }
}

• January 11, 2013

I have an custom object that is linked to the Product2 table via a lookup.  My custom object api is called "Quote_Line_Item__c".  In that I have a lookup to the proudct and the Child Relationship name is "Quote_Line_Items" the api name is "Product__c".  I have tried every different way to be able to be able to pull back the product name but I just can't get it to link.  It always tells me "If you are attempting to use a custom relationship, be sure to append the '__r'".  I have tried many differnet ways and always get the same thing :(  Here is what I think should work.

I would think that I should be able to put this in my select and make it work.

Quote_Line_Item__c.Quote_Line_Items__r.Name

any suggestions on what I am doing wrong??

• January 10, 2013

I have an object that is linked to an Opportunity.  When this object is updated it needs to update the opportunity.  However, in some cases the opportunity is in an approval process and this causes the error "; first error: ENTITY_IS_LOCKED, the entity is locked for editing: []".  Can I use the RunAs to make the class run under an administrator because even though this opp is locked it needs to be updated.  I only see runas used in Test Classes.

Thanks,

Tena

• January 03, 2013

I am new to Salesforce development.  I was asked to provide a way for data to be passed to Salesforce from an outside source.  My first thought was to use the Web service functionality but then I watched one of the Developer courses and the instructor said not to use a Web service but to create a Visualforce page with a controller.  What is the best method?  I will not be creating the gui that the users will enter the information into.  Any other best practice tips would be great.

Tena

• September 19, 2011

There is already a case close template in place.  It doesn't work for what I need becasue it has a special link in it that doesn't apply to all cases.  Is there a way for me to send out a different e-mail?

Thanks,

Tena

• October 28, 2010

I have 3 partner portals.  I want to use only 1 Profile.  Therefore I only want 1 page layout to be used by all 3.  When the user enters in information a message needs to be sent out to certain people(different for each partner) to let them know a new lead, account was created. 

I also need to document on the Lead and Account which Partner portal the lead came from.   How can I do this?  Thanks this is my first time setting up partner portals.

Tena

• September 17, 2010

I have a Partner Portal account that I had to remove the Accounts tab because the Company sharing rules are Public Read only for Account.  This means that the Partner was able to see all our accounts rather than just their accounts.  I am unable to change the rule right now due to other stuff going on. 

In replace of the tab I was going to create a report for them to see what accounts are from them.  I am able to only show thier accounts on the reports.  When I create a report with just account name it will give the error of "Insufficient Privileges".  The report is viewable on the partner side.  The profile does have access to the accounts.

Why would the report come back with that error when they are able to view all accounts when they have the accounts tab?  

Thanks,

Tena

• August 16, 2010

We have a partner portal where the user logs in and give us lead information that then turns into accounts.  They should be able to see what accounts came from them but no other accounts.  Right now they can see everything.  I have checked the profile and it only has Read and Create access on (Accounts, Contacts, Leads).  I looked at their Role and they are at the bottom of the chain(no one below them). 

How are they seeing all this information?

Thanks,

Tena

• August 12, 2010

Hi All,

I have partner portal enabled account. I have created new users under the Gold Partner User. 

I have given an access to run and export reports on Glod Partner User profile. 

I created a two reports and put in a report folder. I have given the access to partner user and the roles what the user has like Executive, Manager, User to access report folder. 

After logging as a Partner portal user from a Contact, I can not run and export the reports. I got the following message,

Insufficient Privileges You do not have the level of access necessary to run this report. Please contact your administrator if you require access. 

Am I missing any thing in the salesforce setup and configuration. Please let me know about your valuable solution.

Thanks in advance,

Arunraj.