• 0 Points
  • Member since 2010

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
I'm having this bizarre error when calling the SOAP update method.  My code calls the API and it just hangs there for up to 15 minutes.  Which is terrible for me since I process stuff in queue and it blocks everything until it's done.

I'm updating a single record's (either Contact or Accout) custom field (using its ID).  I'm nowhere near my API limit.

I'm not getting an error or exception, it just hangs open.  It only happens every hour or so and an identical doesn't hang.

I've used the same code for years and never had this happen until the Spring update.

I'm using PHP.  I'm looking at doing something like this http://www.darqbyte.com/2009/10/21/timing-out-php-soap-calls/  since PHP doesn't handle timeouts in this situation (as near as I can tell anyway).  

I'm also using an older toolkit; I'll try updating that, I just hate updating complicated code that worked for years.
Has anyone else seen this behavior?

In my Account, I'd like to have a button to click that verifies the address.  It would be nice if the whole page didn't have to refresh.  I have a simple Web service written that does the verify and even got everything to work in Salesforce using the Ajax kit/remoteFunction.  The problem is it only works in firefox due to a 401 error in other browsers.

It took forever to figure out how to get remoteFunction to work, but at this point I think my approach might have been wrong for SF.  Should I try to do through Apex httprequest?  I could just require Firefox, but that seemed lame.

Appreciate any tips, thanks,

Lee

• September 14, 2010
I'm having this bizarre error when calling the SOAP update method.  My code calls the API and it just hangs there for up to 15 minutes.  Which is terrible for me since I process stuff in queue and it blocks everything until it's done.

I'm updating a single record's (either Contact or Accout) custom field (using its ID).  I'm nowhere near my API limit.

I'm not getting an error or exception, it just hangs open.  It only happens every hour or so and an identical doesn't hang.

I've used the same code for years and never had this happen until the Spring update.

I'm using PHP.  I'm looking at doing something like this http://www.darqbyte.com/2009/10/21/timing-out-php-soap-calls/  since PHP doesn't handle timeouts in this situation (as near as I can tell anyway).  

I'm also using an older toolkit; I'll try updating that, I just hate updating complicated code that worked for years.
Has anyone else seen this behavior?

PHP is easily to integrate with standard object to create, update, query, and delete records.

However, just wonder if PHP toolkit supports custom class just like in visualforce page : <apex:page controller="customClass"...

I am developing a query page which will do some statistics jobs and I have already developed the task in apex class and visualforce.

I know it can be done to rewrite the controller to php code however it will retrieve lots of data to php server that I want to prevent.

So, just like to know how to call custom class from PHP toolkit , or it is impossible at the moment.

Thanks

I noticed that my Visualforce page threw the following error when I tried to add a related list that was perfectly well defined in the object's setup but happened not to be in the Page Layout: 'SubContracts__r' is not a valid child relationship name for entity Licensing Contract

This appears to be an undocumented restriction on the use of <apex:relatedList> not to mention one that could potentially cause some nasty issues in a production environment should an admin update a page layout or create a new one after the orginal page is deployed. Likewise, if they create new recordtypes or recordtype/profile assignments. This restriction is not intuitive; one generally thinks of Visualforce as an alternative to a Page Layout, not as an extension that is bound to it and inherents its content restrictions. Additionally, for developers who have over-ridden all page-layouts for an object with VF pages, it is counter-intuitive to have to edit a Page Layout that is not in use simply to include the list in their VF pages.

Could someone respond back with some clearer details on how this actually works? Does Visualforce simply require that one page layout include the related list or does it require the page layout for the given record type include it. Wouldn't it be more robust to simply define the apex:related list to display based on user permissions rather than throw an error if the list is not found in the related page layout.

Message Edited by lnryan on 12-16-2008 01:12 PM
  • December 16, 2008