• 0 Points
  • Member since 2011

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

I have installed this tool in our sandbox and would like to install this in our production environment.  I am very excited about this product and how it could help us to better manage our Salesforce data, but we only want system administrators (or a specific profile) to see these buttons.

For a related list view, this can easily be done by creating an alternate page layout that is assigned to the system administrators.  However, it seem that when you add the button to the object list view the buttons is visible to all users that have access to that object, not just the system administrators with the rights to this functionality.  Since the users do not have the required permissions, the Insufficient Privileges page will display if they attempt to use the button.  This will be frustrating and confusing to our users.  We really don't want the users to see the buttons at all. 

The object list buttons are the ones we are most interested in from an administrative perspective.  If we are not able to set it up so the buttons can only be seen by the system administrators, we won't be able to use the product.

Do you have any suggestions as to how we can accomplish having the object list view buttons only visible to a specified profile?  I am hoping that we aren't the only ones with this requirement and that there is a way around this problem. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as we would really like to use this product!

• July 02, 2013

I am trying to add a chatter component to a VF page, but am having some difficulties.  I have been able to successfully create a vf page that displays a Chatter Group feed, using the following:

<apex:page standardController="MyCustomObject__c" sidebar="false" showheader="false" >
  <Chatter:feed entityID="{!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__c}" / >
  </apex:page>

I would also like to render the follow/unfollow (join/leave) button for the group.  According to Salesforce's documentation, there is a <chatter:follow> component which should do this.  If I follow the same logic as my previous example (if group feed is simply a record feed, then group join would logically be the same as record follow).  When I try the following I am unable to get the button to render:

<apex:page standardController="MyCustomObject__c" sidebar="false" showheader="false" >
  <Chatter:follow entityID="{!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__c}" / >

However, if I replace "{!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__c}" with the ID of a users profile or record, the follow button appears.  So it seems that groups are only like records when it comes to feeds, not following or joinging.

Does anyone know how I can add the Join/Leave button for a Chatter Group (public) on a VF page, as I was able to add the group feed? 

One other option I was considering was to embed the Chatter Group Profile Page on the VF page, however this VF page is going to be included on the page layout of one of our custom objects.  When I try this, it includes the standard Salesforce header and top navigation in the iframe.  It also includes the left column of the group page which includes the group image and description and becomes quite busy.  Here is the coded I used

<apex:page standardController="MyCustomObject__c" showheader="false">
  <apex:iframe src="https://cs14.salesforce.com/_ui/core/chatter/groups/GroupProfilePage?g="{!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__c}" scrolling="true" id="theIframe"/>

I was able to remove the standard Salesforce header and top navigation by adding $isdtp-vw to the URL.  Here is the code: 

<apex:iframe src="https://cs14.salesforce.com/_ui/core/chatter/groups/GroupProfilePage?g="{!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__c}&isdtp=vw" scrolling="true" id="theIframe"/>

Unfortunately, it seems that the isdtp UNSUPPORTED by Salesforce. I also have not been able to get the EntityID reference ({!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__C}) in the URL to pick up the ID from the record the VF page is displayed on.  It works if I have the exact ID included in the URL (not ideal, but workable in this situation)

I would really like a VF page that:

• 1st choice: a VF page that inlcudes the group feed (including the bar where you can post/file/link/poll/share, as well as the button to join or leave the group.  (so basically the center column of the standard group profile page, plus the join/leave button, without the standard salesforce header)
  • 2nd choice: If neccessary, it would be acceptable to include the right column of the standard group profile page, which includes the join/leave button, members list and group files list. 
  • last choice: would be to include the entire group profile page, without the standard salesforce headers through a supported method.

This VF page would be added to the page layout of a custom object.  This custom object would have a field that would contain the ID of the group that should be displayed/reference in the VF page.  I would prefer the reference the Group ID on the custom object, versus having to have multiple VF pages for each group.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated

Michele

• March 08, 2013

I have installed this tool in our sandbox and would like to install this in our production environment.  I am very excited about this product and how it could help us to better manage our Salesforce data, but we only want system administrators (or a specific profile) to see these buttons.

For a related list view, this can easily be done by creating an alternate page layout that is assigned to the system administrators.  However, it seem that when you add the button to the object list view the buttons is visible to all users that have access to that object, not just the system administrators with the rights to this functionality.  Since the users do not have the required permissions, the Insufficient Privileges page will display if they attempt to use the button.  This will be frustrating and confusing to our users.  We really don't want the users to see the buttons at all. 

The object list buttons are the ones we are most interested in from an administrative perspective.  If we are not able to set it up so the buttons can only be seen by the system administrators, we won't be able to use the product.

Do you have any suggestions as to how we can accomplish having the object list view buttons only visible to a specified profile?  I am hoping that we aren't the only ones with this requirement and that there is a way around this problem. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as we would really like to use this product!

• July 02, 2013

Hello, i wonder if there is a way to hide Custom Buttons from some Users in The List View, any help would be great thanks 

• May 24, 2013

I am trying to add a chatter component to a VF page, but am having some difficulties.  I have been able to successfully create a vf page that displays a Chatter Group feed, using the following:

<Chatter:feed entityID="{!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__c}" / >

I would also like to render the follow/unfollow (join/leave) button for the group.  According to Salesforce's documentation, there is a <chatter:follow> component which should do this.  If I follow the same logic as my previous example (if group feed is simply a record feed, then group join would logically be the same as record follow).  When I try the following I am unable to get the button to render:

<Chatter:follow entityID="{!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__c}" / >

However, if I replace "{!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__c}" with the ID of a users profile or record, the follow button appears.  So it seems that groups are only like records when it comes to feeds, not following or joinging.

Does anyone know how I can add the Join/Leave button for a Chatter Group (public) on a VF page, as I was able to add the group feed? 

One other option I was considering was to embed the Chatter Group Profile Page on the VF page, however this VF page is going to be included on the page layout of one of our custom objects.  When I try this, it includes the standard Salesforce header and top navigation in the iframe.  It also includes the left column of the group page which includes the group image and description and becomes quite busy.  Here is the coded I used

<apex:iframe src="https://cs14.salesforce.com/_ui/core/chatter/groups/GroupProfilePage?g="{!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__c}" scrolling="true" id="theIframe"/>

I was able to remove the standard Salesforce header and top navigation by adding $isdtp-vw to the URL.  Here is the code: 

<apex:iframe src="https://cs14.salesforce.com/_ui/core/chatter/groups/GroupProfilePage?g="{!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__c}&isdtp=vw" scrolling="true" id="theIframe"/>

Unfortunately, it seems that the isdtp UNSUPPORTED by Salesforce. I also have not been able to get the EntityID reference ({!MyCustomObject__c.Group_ID__C}) in the URL to pick up the ID from the record the VF page is displayed on.  It works if I have the exact ID included in the URL (not ideal, but workable in this situation)

I would really like a VF page that:

• 1st choice: a VF page that inlcudes the group feed (including the bar where you can post/file/link/poll/share, as well as the button to join or leave the group.  (so basically the center column of the standard group profile page, plus the join/leave button, without the standard salesforce header)
  • 2nd choice: If neccessary, it would be acceptable to include the right column of the standard group profile page, which includes the join/leave button, members list and group files list. 
  • last choice: would be to include the entire group profile page, without the standard salesforce headers through a supported method.

This VF page would be added to the page layout of a custom object.  This custom object would have a field that would contain the ID of the group that should be displayed/reference in the VF page.  I would prefer the reference the Group ID on the custom object, versus having to have multiple VF pages for each group.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated

Michele

• March 08, 2013

I have a problem and am lookoing for a good solution.

I need to have a field on my event records that allows me to add more than 255 characters.  The only field now is the description field but I cannot use that because it maps over to Outlook and could be visible to an external invitee.  The field I need long text is only for internal use.  So my dilemma is either remap the fields from Salesforce events to Outlook (version 2003), or to find a way to create another long text field.

Any ideas?