I'm aware that when a managed package is deployed into an Org it is not possible to see log messages generated by apex code in that managed package.
However, Ideas: Display managed package logs in subscriber orgs is marked as "Delivered (Archive)".I couldn't find any documentation or direct link to what was delivered or how the issue was resolved.
Is there some new functionality delivered from the above idea that would allow me as the managed packaged creator to access the log messages?
For those wishing to modify the data loader, here are the steps to getting it to compile:
1. Already have eclipse up and running. You probably have this already for SFDC development so I will skip the details on this one.
2. Download the latest Java JDK (NOT the JRE, the JDK). Latest for me was 1.7
3. Download the latest source code for apexdataloader from sourceforge. Latest version for me was 19.
4. Extract the zip file to C:\apexdataloader\
5. Open eclipse and hit file-> New Project.
6. Select "Java project from existing ant bundle"
7. Browse to C:\apexdataloader\build\ and select build.xml
8. Close the project in eclipse
9. locate your .classpath file in the project workspace directory in windows explorer (this varies based on where your home dir is).
10. Edit this file and add this line:
<classpathentry kind="lib" path="C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.7.0/jre/lib/jce.jar"/>
11. Re-open the project in eclipse.
*EDIT*: I think the main can be found at: com.salesforce.dataloader.process.DataLoaderRunner
You should now be able to compile w/o errors (will get some warnings).
Just sharing in case this caused someone else trouble.
In my case, I am working on modifying the data loader to honor the scale / decimal setting for currency fields.