• Member since 2013

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hi everyone.

Wow - an overwhelming amount of information.  Excellent in so many ways, a little  disconcerting for someone new. While I practically know very little about Force.com, I have an extensive background in BI, with a good understanding of tools like Informatica and Cognos. 

In a nutshell - I have an app idea (who doesn't ...), but I honestly don't know where to start.  Watched a few YouTube videos, read some posts - but still need  help.  My gut tells me that a good place to start would be a solid DB model with:

• standard objects left untouched
  • standard objects repurposed (renamed etc)
  • standard objects modified (e.g. adding custom fields)
  • custom objetcs

This model would have to be based on what the app would want to accomplish, perhaps expressed as use cases initially.  I am sure that some process maps would be useful sooner than later.

How should I reconcile all of the above - I need some blueprint of the app before I jump into "no-coding" it.  Also, any specific tools in Force.com that would allow me to keep all these requirements in one place, mark them as complete as I implement them, divide them up in releases etc?

If anyone knows of a logical and comprehensive resource on architecting an app - please let me know.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Dan

• May 13, 2013

Hi everyone.

Wow - an overwhelming amount of information.  Excellent in so many ways, a little  disconcerting for someone new. While I practically know very little about Force.com, I have an extensive background in BI, with a good understanding of tools like Informatica and Cognos. 

In a nutshell - I have an app idea (who doesn't ...), but I honestly don't know where to start.  Watched a few YouTube videos, read some posts - but still need  help.  My gut tells me that a good place to start would be a solid DB model with:

• standard objects left untouched
  • standard objects repurposed (renamed etc)
  • standard objects modified (e.g. adding custom fields)
  • custom objetcs

This model would have to be based on what the app would want to accomplish, perhaps expressed as use cases initially.  I am sure that some process maps would be useful sooner than later.

How should I reconcile all of the above - I need some blueprint of the app before I jump into "no-coding" it.  Also, any specific tools in Force.com that would allow me to keep all these requirements in one place, mark them as complete as I implement them, divide them up in releases etc?

If anyone knows of a logical and comprehensive resource on architecting an app - please let me know.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Dan

• May 13, 2013