• 0 Points
  • Member since 2014

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
In the Lightning UI if you attach a file to a Case it won't be created as an Attachment, rather as a File. I could not find anything about this in the REST API docs.

What I found just by try and error is that one must create a ContentBody, a ContentDocument, a ContentDocumentVersion and finally a ContentDocumentLink to link it to the Case. If this is really the way, how to upload the file in the first place? i.e. how to create a ContentBody? Again nothing related to this in the docs. 

My assumption is that still a multi-part request with a `Body` part should work but haven't tried it yet. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello,

I'm creating an Apex class that creates a Salesforce File record and associates it with a parent record. I'm having a problem creating the association (ContentDocumentLink) record.

Here is what I'm doing:
  • Create a ContentVersion record. This creates a ContentDocument record automatically if you leave the ContentVersion.ContentDocumentId field blank. (https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.api.meta/api/sforce_api_objects_contentdocument.htm - "To create a document, create a new version via the ContentVersion object without setting the ContentDocumentId. This automatically creates a parent document record.")
  • Insert ContentVersion record
  • DEBUG: Confirm ContentVersion.ContentDocumentId is set (Here is where the problem is because it is NULL; however if I SOQL query ContentVersion after the Apex completes, ContentVersion.ContentDocumentId is set and the corresponding ContentDocument record exists)
  • Create ContentDocumentLink record (commented out because it fails because ContentDocumentLink.ContentDocumentId is a required field)
  • Insert ContentDocumentLink record (commented out because it fails because ContentDocumentLink.ContentDocumentId is a required field)
Here is the code:
public class FileController {

@AuraEnabled
    public static Id saveTheFile(Id parentId, String fileName, String base64Data, String contentType, Id contentDocumentId) { 
        base64Data = EncodingUtil.urlDecode(base64Data, 'UTF-8');

ContentVersion cv = new ContentVersion();
        cv.ContentLocation = 'S';
        cv.ContentDocumentId = contentDocumentId;
        cv.VersionData = EncodingUtil.base64Decode(base64Data);
        cv.Title = fileName;
        cv.PathOnClient = filename;

insert cv;

//***This DEBUG statement must return an Id for the rest of the code to work***
        System.debug('contentDocumentId='+cv.ContentDocumentId);               

//ContentDocumentLink cdl = new ContentDocumentLink();
        //cdl.ContentDocumentId = cv.ContentDocumentId;
        //cdl.LinkedEntityId = parentId;
        //cdl.ShareType = 'I';

//insert cdl;

return cv.Id;
    }

@AuraEnabled
    public static Id saveTheFile(Id parentId, String fileName, String base64Data, String contentType) {         
        return saveTheFile(parentId, fileName, base64Data, contentType, NULL);
    }
}

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, not considering, etc?
Appreciate any thoughts and input!

I'm working with a standard object that's used by a managed package. The managed package includes some software that runs on the package author's own server and that calls into Salesforce using the web services API, to create records for that standard object. Other Salesforce apps also create records for that standard object. I need to write a trigger that can detect if a record is being added by the managed package's code (i.e., as a result of an API call) or by some other means.

I have no control over the way the external server calls into Salesforce to create records for this object. I can't modify that software.

I have no control over the UI. Because it's a standard object, many apps can create records for it. I can't change all of those apps to make them set some kind of flag that says "I'm not creating this record through the API."

Given those limitations, is there any way a trigger can determine whether it's being called as a result of an API call?

I've tried various UserInfo methods, without much luck. I thought if I called UserInfo.getUiThemeDisplayed() from a trigger invoked as a result of an API call, it might tell me that there's no UI Theme being displayed, but it doesn't.  

UserInfo.getUserId() doesn't help me because the external server logs into Salesforce using the same login credentials that a browser user would.

Is there anything in UserInfo.getSessionId() that might be useful? 

Thanks for your help!

• June 10, 2010
Hello,

I'm creating an Apex class that creates a Salesforce File record and associates it with a parent record. I'm having a problem creating the association (ContentDocumentLink) record.

Here is what I'm doing:
  • Create a ContentVersion record. This creates a ContentDocument record automatically if you leave the ContentVersion.ContentDocumentId field blank. (https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.api.meta/api/sforce_api_objects_contentdocument.htm - "To create a document, create a new version via the ContentVersion object without setting the ContentDocumentId. This automatically creates a parent document record.")
  • Insert ContentVersion record
  • DEBUG: Confirm ContentVersion.ContentDocumentId is set (Here is where the problem is because it is NULL; however if I SOQL query ContentVersion after the Apex completes, ContentVersion.ContentDocumentId is set and the corresponding ContentDocument record exists)
  • Create ContentDocumentLink record (commented out because it fails because ContentDocumentLink.ContentDocumentId is a required field)
  • Insert ContentDocumentLink record (commented out because it fails because ContentDocumentLink.ContentDocumentId is a required field)
Here is the code:
public class FileController {

@AuraEnabled
    public static Id saveTheFile(Id parentId, String fileName, String base64Data, String contentType, Id contentDocumentId) { 
        base64Data = EncodingUtil.urlDecode(base64Data, 'UTF-8');

ContentVersion cv = new ContentVersion();
        cv.ContentLocation = 'S';
        cv.ContentDocumentId = contentDocumentId;
        cv.VersionData = EncodingUtil.base64Decode(base64Data);
        cv.Title = fileName;
        cv.PathOnClient = filename;

insert cv;

//***This DEBUG statement must return an Id for the rest of the code to work***
        System.debug('contentDocumentId='+cv.ContentDocumentId);               

//ContentDocumentLink cdl = new ContentDocumentLink();
        //cdl.ContentDocumentId = cv.ContentDocumentId;
        //cdl.LinkedEntityId = parentId;
        //cdl.ShareType = 'I';

//insert cdl;

return cv.Id;
    }

@AuraEnabled
    public static Id saveTheFile(Id parentId, String fileName, String base64Data, String contentType) {         
        return saveTheFile(parentId, fileName, base64Data, contentType, NULL);
    }
}

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, not considering, etc?
Appreciate any thoughts and input!

I'm working with a standard object that's used by a managed package. The managed package includes some software that runs on the package author's own server and that calls into Salesforce using the web services API, to create records for that standard object. Other Salesforce apps also create records for that standard object. I need to write a trigger that can detect if a record is being added by the managed package's code (i.e., as a result of an API call) or by some other means.

I have no control over the way the external server calls into Salesforce to create records for this object. I can't modify that software.

I have no control over the UI. Because it's a standard object, many apps can create records for it. I can't change all of those apps to make them set some kind of flag that says "I'm not creating this record through the API."

Given those limitations, is there any way a trigger can determine whether it's being called as a result of an API call?

I've tried various UserInfo methods, without much luck. I thought if I called UserInfo.getUiThemeDisplayed() from a trigger invoked as a result of an API call, it might tell me that there's no UI Theme being displayed, but it doesn't.  

UserInfo.getUserId() doesn't help me because the external server logs into Salesforce using the same login credentials that a browser user would.

Is there anything in UserInfo.getSessionId() that might be useful? 

Thanks for your help!

• June 10, 2010