• Member since 2004

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Dear All,

The intent of these question is to try to find the optimal upgrade pattern (From Sforce 3.0 to Sforce 4.0) for our client who is very happy with their Salesforce application and Sforce integration.

We implemented the Products feature in Sforce 3.0. Now, they are looking to enhance the functionality there.

Question 1) Since this enhancement is their priority now (the upgrade will follow later), is there a way to download the WSDL (3.0 version) with the new custom fields. If we are able to do this, we can decouple the functionality requirement with the upgrade requirement. If this is not straightforward, are there any work arounds to make this happen?

Question 2) I understand that we have to use Products2 feature in Sforce 4.0. We used the Products API in Sforce 3.0. Lets say we download the latest WSDL (4.0 version), will this still support the Product feature. If this is the case, we can make enhancements to the Products feature and then eventually phase it out by using Products2 feature.

Thank You

Venk

Our client has a requirement to use SControls (with Applets embedded). Lets say that we create a Java Applet (and sign it), can we deploy a huge jar file (Containing the Java custom implementation with the axis libraries that it needs to run) ?

Any documentation on how to Sign applets would be appreciated.

Do we have any sample or tutorial to help us?

Thank You

Venk

Our client has a requirement to use SControls (with Applets embedded). Lets say that we create a Java Applet (and sign it), can we deploy a huge jar file (Containing the Java custom implementation with the axis libraries that it needs to run) ?

Thank You

Venk

I'm trying to retrieve all records who's custom field value is > 0

My Code

final Double ZERO = new Double(0.0);

String sqlquery =
          "select Id, description, contactId, origin from Case where Cumulative_Support_Time__c > "+ZERO;
          try {
            qr = binding.query(sqlquery);
          }

I get a INVALID_NUMBER Exceptions.

Any help in this would be appreciated. (Note: The program terminates at binding.query() statement. The value of Cumulative_Support_Time_C could potentially be NULL. Is that a prob?)

AxisFault
 faultCode: {http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/}Server.userException
 faultSubcode:
 faultString: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01722: invalid number

faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:
        {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace: AxisFault
 faultSubcode:

faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01722: invalid number

at org.apache.axis.message.SOAPFaultBuilder.createFault(SOAPFaultBuilder
.java:260)
        at org.apache.axis.message.SOAPFaultBuilder.endElement(SOAPFaultBuilder.
java:169)
        at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContextImpl.endElement(Deseri
alizationContextImpl.java:1015)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.content(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
        at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContextImpl.parse(Deserializa
tionContextImpl.java:242)
        at org.apache.axis.SOAPPart.getAsSOAPEnvelope(SOAPPart.java:538)
        at org.apache.axis.Message.getSOAPEnvelope(Message.java:376)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invokeEngine(Call.java:2583)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2553)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2248)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2171)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:1691)
        at com.sforce.soap.enterprise.SoapBindingStub.query(SoapBindingStub.java1442)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.task.resetCase(task.java:354)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.task.<init>(task.java:72)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.task.main(task.java:47)

Is there a way to do bulk updates with single statement?

For example

update Task set  <customField> =0 ;

(One statement should do batch updates) instead of requiring a select query to retrieve all the objects and updating them with an array of objects.

Thanks

Venk

Hi,

I'm trying to query tasks (just one simple select statement) and I get this error below.

Source:

private void getTasks() {

final Double UNO = new Double(1.0);

//check to see if we are already logged in
      if (lr == null) {
        System.out.println("Run the login sample before the others.\n");
        getUserInput("Hit enter to continue: ");
        System.out.println("\n");
        return;
      }

//create a variable to hold the query result
      QueryResult qr = null;

//TO SELECT THE OPPORTUNITY MODIFIED TODAY
      QueryResult qr1 = null;

// Call the query saving the results in qr
      String sqlquery =
          "select whatId, time25Increments__c, billable_Status__c from Task "

+ " where billable_Status__c='Billable'";
      try {
      }
      catch (UnexpectedErrorFault uef) {
        System.out.println(uef.getExceptionMessage() + "\n\n");
        return;
      }
      catch (Exception e) {
        e.printStackTrace();
        System.out.println("\n\n");
        return;
      }

if (qr != null) {
      SObject[] records = qr.getRecords();
      System.out.println( "THE LENGTH RETURNED IS = " + records.length);
      //we can loop through the returned records
      for (int i = 0; i < records.length; i++) {
        //Because we asked for accounts we will convert
        //the SObject for each record into an Account object
        Task task = (Task) records[i];

//Now we can access any of the fields we had in the query
        //select clause directly from the account variable
        System.out.print(new Integer(i).toString() + ". ");
        System.out.print("WHAT ID "+ task.getWhatId() + " - ");
        System.out.print("time25Increments__c "+ task.getTime25Increments__c() + " - ");
        System.out.print("getBillable_Status__c "+ task.getBillable_Status__c() + " - ");
      }
      System.out.println("");
    }

AxisFault
 faultSubcode:
 faultString: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
 faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:
        {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace: java.net.SocketTimeoutException Read timed out
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.a(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.read(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppInputStream.read(DashoA6275)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:183)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:201)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readHeadersFromSocket(HTTPS
ender.java:506)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:127)

at org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrateg
y.java:71)
        at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:150)
        at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.invoke(SimpleChain.java:120)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:180)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invokeEngine(Call.java:2564)
        at com.sforce.soap.enterprise.SoapBindingStub.query(SoapBindingStub.java1386)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.products.getTasks(products.java:589)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.products.&lt;init&gt;(products.java:77)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.products.main(products.java:55)

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at org.apache.axis.AxisFault.makeFault(AxisFault.java:129)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:131)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.products.<init>(products.java:77)
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        ... 13 more

Hi,

I have a list of task objects and I'm trying to obtain the parent case for each such task object. Which field will help me? How is the parent child relationship maintained.

Thanks

Venk

I am planning to get Sforce certified.. Any links that would help me? Do I have to take any tests?

Two questions

1. Is there a way for an account object to have a custom related list attached to it?

2. Our customer wants to create activities and associate them to the account object. Is there a way to do it? (I understand that we have to call the update API on the account object. I don't know how to associate an activity with an account as I don't even see an activity object)

Our client has a need to create a jsp that will update the contact information in SalesForce... Here is the challenge.

Since this is a marketing campaign, the custom fields used each month will be different. Lets say we use the WSDL2Java to generate the Java files. The contact class will contain the information of only the current Custom fields but not the future custom fields that their marketting team will create later.. (IS there a way around this?)

Another challenge that we are facing is looking at the Schema of the contact entity (By doing a describe call) and dynamically generate HTML based on the schema (picklist or text box or other field)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Venk

Hello,

When I have an opportunity record, I can obtain the account that owns the current opportunity by using

opportunity.accountId;

Since accounts can have parent accounts, I am interested in obtaining the parent most account (root) for any specific opportunity.

Is there any easy way to do it? (Or we do have go to the account record and obtain the account.parentId; recursively to get the root account id)

Thanks

Venk

We are creating a solution for our client and I just want to make any changes from Salesforce (like I�m hearing SF may change some functionality in the product area by allowing the user to add custom fields.) or any changes in the Client will not force us to go back to the code and modify it anywhere.

Lets say we code for one XML schema (enterprise.wsdl) and either SF or the clients add some custom fields to it. So the WSDL that we use will be no longer current. Are there any mandatory fields that will affect our updates. Just any thoughts or best practices that will help us?

Thank You

Venk

Dave,

When adding a product (OpportunityLineItem) and associating it with an opportunity, our requirement is that we should also add it to the schedule automatically (opportunityLineItemSchedule).

If a product has a default schedule already enabled, should we make any extra call to opportunityLineItemSchedule or does this happen automatically?

How will the query be like (just to get a feel for it) if we have do this explicitly ?

Thank You

Venk

We are a technology implementation partner of Salesforce and venturing in to our implementation. Is it better to use partner.wsdl vs our client's wsdl (Even if you are developing for just one client.) The documentation mentioned that using the partner wsdl is more difficult to use but more flexible.

(we are planning to use the quickstart file as the base to start our implementation. Do you see any problems with that? Does it have any issues working with partner.wsdl)

Also, we are planning to buy another development account to develop all the functionality and test it with our client's account later (So that we don't mess up their data while developing).  So, the WSDL of this development account will only contain some custom fields (that we are actually planning to use) Vs all the custom fields in all the areas that our client is using. Any best practices or pointers to help us out?

Thanks Much

Venk

We are thinking about writing a Java Batch process that will read the opportunity records and update them. While updating, is it possible for us to delete and add the products associated with that opportunity in Products (Standard) section of an opportunity. Also, how would you add the newly created products to a schedule automatically ?

Does the API support this?

Thanks

Venk

I am trying to create a SControl in the opportunity page using a web integration link. To pass some fields to the SControl, I understand that we can use merge fields. Since we are planning to use client side JavaScript/HTML in the SControl, how will the merge field be available to the SControl?

I noticed some sample code posted by Dave. he just specifies the name of the merge fields in the HTML. Will this work the same for JavaScript?

<OBJECT ID="collateralList" HEIGHT=100% WIDTH=100%
CLASSID="clsid:C37EEBCE-F222-4AF9-961E-945A7ED5F66E"
CODEBASE="{!Scontrol_URL}#version=1,0,0,0">

Most importantly, do we have any sample code with JavaScript (making a call to Sforce to update something or create something)

Thank You

Venk

I try to run the quickstart.bat in the client's computer and its giving the error

; nested exception is:
        java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

I'm assuming this is because of the use of proxy. Is there a work around? What should be done to support Proxy?

Thanks

Venk

Message Edited by Venk_ModelMetri on 03-29-2004 01:26 PM

Let me start off this question by giving an example.

We have a requirement to customize salesforce.com�s functionality (Within the salesforce pages.) In the opportunity page, the user has send an email option. When this page is called, we want the opportunity�s primary contact email automatically populated. Is there anyway to accomplish this?

On a more generic note, if customizations are required in any Salesforce page (within the salesforce.com domain), what is the best way to accomplish this? I know that we have ClientSide JavaScript available to us using Scontrols can be used to update /add records. But the Scontrols appear to us only after the submit button is clicked. (and not available in the main pages. For example if I need to write some JavaScript to manipulate the HTML fields in the new opportunity page, it is not possible to do using Scontrol as the Scontrols are available only after the submit button is clicked.)

Hello Folks,

Our customer wants about 10-12 custom fields in Opportunity. In addition to that they want a way to sum up all these fields (text box) and store it in another field (total amount field) (text box) and save it to Sales Force. Since the page https://na1.salesforce.com/006/e?retURL=%2F006%2Fo is developed by sales force, we have no way to add client side javascript to sum all these custom fields(in text boxes) and populate it to the total amount field(text box).

Any work arounds? Another proposed work around is the use of web integration link where we can create an HTML file that has client side JavaScript to read the fields in the parent window (SalesForce.com new opportunity page) and sum it up to populate the total amount field in the parent window. But we found that the web integration links can be accessed only after the "save" button is clicked to save the opportunity. At this time, the form fields (Custom fields as text boxes) are already submitted to salesforce and not accessible by my child web integration link.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks

Venk

Vdakshin@modelmetrics.com

Hi,

My application should allow to SFDC user to be connected directly. So I need to check if it is a valid SFDC user. I do not want test and know his login and password. Test the SFDC session id of the user seem to be a good test. If the user has a session valid, he is connected, so he can access to my application.

But, I met a SSL exception when I tried to run the code Invalid connection from web intergation link. Cannot verify sessionId is correct: ; nested exception is:
 javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: No trusted certificate found

After searching in the sforce community, I found this solution :  upgrade to the latest JRE solved the problem. I have uninstalled my previous java version and reinstalled the latest J2SDK.
And now, I am using the J2RE, Standard Edition <build 1.4.2_05-b04> but I already have the error.

Remark: Previously I have succeeded to run the pre-compiled sample in the Java Getting Started Package (sforce 4.0)
 1. Login Only
 2. Create Account
 3. Create Contact
 4. Create Task
 5. Run Query
 6. Run Retrieve

Hope I have been clearer. Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Laurent

Note : This is the code :

VerifySessionId(String sfdcSessionId) {

//Initialize the binding stub
SoapBindingStub binding = null;
try
{
 binding = (SoapBindingStub)new SforceServiceLocator().getSoap();
}
catch(Exception e)
{
 System.out.println(e.getMessage());
}

//Create a new session header object and add the session id
_SessionHeader sh = new _SessionHeader();
sh.setSessionId(sfdcSessionId);
//Set the session header for subsequent call authentication
binding.setHeader("SforceService", "SessionHeader", sh);

//Now try to actually do something with the API
try
{
 //Retrieve the current system timestamp from the sforce Web service
 GetServerTimestampResult now = binding.getServerTimestamp();
 if(now == null)
  System.out.println("Cannot determine sforce server timestamp. User may be invalid");
 else
  System.out.println("Valid sessionId connection from web integration link at "+now.getTimestamp().getTime  ());
}
catch(Exception e)
{
 System.out.println("Invalid connection from web intergation link. Cannot verify sessionId is correct:  "+e.getMessage());
}
}

Thank You

Venk

As part of our java application's login proceedure we login to SalesForce and perform an update.  I would like to "cleanup" after the update is through.  I know the SF login creates a socket but I can't find any type of cleanup in the SF API to close the socket and release any SF-related instances for garbage collection.

I'm trying to retrieve all records who's custom field value is > 0

My Code

final Double ZERO = new Double(0.0);

String sqlquery =
          "select Id, description, contactId, origin from Case where Cumulative_Support_Time__c > "+ZERO;
          try {
          }

I get a INVALID_NUMBER Exceptions.

Any help in this would be appreciated. (Note: The program terminates at binding.query() statement. The value of Cumulative_Support_Time_C could potentially be NULL. Is that a prob?)

AxisFault
 faultSubcode:

faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:
        {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace: AxisFault
 faultSubcode:

faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:

at com.salesforce.quickstart.task.&lt;init&gt;(task.java:72)

Hi,

I'm trying to query tasks (just one simple select statement) and I get this error below.

Source:

private void getTasks() {

final Double UNO = new Double(1.0);

//check to see if we are already logged in
      if (lr == null) {
        System.out.println("Run the login sample before the others.\n");
        getUserInput("Hit enter to continue: ");
        System.out.println("\n");
        return;
      }

//create a variable to hold the query result
      QueryResult qr = null;

//TO SELECT THE OPPORTUNITY MODIFIED TODAY
      QueryResult qr1 = null;

// Call the query saving the results in qr
      String sqlquery =
          "select whatId, time25Increments__c, billable_Status__c from Task "

+ " where billable_Status__c='Billable'";
      try {
      }
      catch (UnexpectedErrorFault uef) {
        System.out.println(uef.getExceptionMessage() + "\n\n");
        return;
      }
      catch (Exception e) {
        e.printStackTrace();
        System.out.println("\n\n");
        return;
      }

if (qr != null) {
      SObject[] records = qr.getRecords();
      System.out.println( "THE LENGTH RETURNED IS = " + records.length);
      //we can loop through the returned records
      for (int i = 0; i < records.length; i++) {
        //Because we asked for accounts we will convert
        //the SObject for each record into an Account object
        Task task = (Task) records[i];

//Now we can access any of the fields we had in the query
        //select clause directly from the account variable
        System.out.print(new Integer(i).toString() + ". ");
        System.out.print("WHAT ID "+ task.getWhatId() + " - ");
        System.out.print("time25Increments__c "+ task.getTime25Increments__c() + " - ");
        System.out.print("getBillable_Status__c "+ task.getBillable_Status__c() + " - ");
      }
      System.out.println("");
    }

AxisFault
 faultSubcode:
 faultString: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
 faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:
        {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace: java.net.SocketTimeoutException Read timed out

at com.salesforce.quickstart.products.&lt;init&gt;(products.java:77)

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at org.apache.axis.AxisFault.makeFault(AxisFault.java:129)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:131)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.products.<init>(products.java:77)
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        ... 13 more

Hi,

I have a list of task objects and I'm trying to obtain the parent case for each such task object. Which field will help me? How is the parent child relationship maintained.

Thanks

Venk

I am trying to create opportunityLineItemSchedule..

I created the OpportunityLineItem and then used the returning ID to create the Opp Line schedule.

Though the associated product has schedule type set to "Divide" and the number of installments = 12 , when adding new opp line item schedue, I just get a single schedule with the complete value and not divided among 12 months time period.

I tried to set the OpportunityLineItem's HasRevenueSchedule Field to true. It throws up error.

How can I add Opp Line Item Schedule so that it is divided among 12 months? Should I add 12 individual schedules????

Thank you,

Chitra

• March 25, 2004

We are a technology implementation partner of Salesforce and venturing in to our implementation. Is it better to use partner.wsdl vs our client's wsdl (Even if you are developing for just one client.) The documentation mentioned that using the partner wsdl is more difficult to use but more flexible.

(we are planning to use the quickstart file as the base to start our implementation. Do you see any problems with that? Does it have any issues working with partner.wsdl)

Also, we are planning to buy another development account to develop all the functionality and test it with our client's account later (So that we don't mess up their data while developing).  So, the WSDL of this development account will only contain some custom fields (that we are actually planning to use) Vs all the custom fields in all the areas that our client is using. Any best practices or pointers to help us out?

Thanks Much

Venk

We are thinking about writing a Java Batch process that will read the opportunity records and update them. While updating, is it possible for us to delete and add the products associated with that opportunity in Products (Standard) section of an opportunity. Also, how would you add the newly created products to a schedule automatically ?

Does the API support this?

Thanks

Venk

I try to run the quickstart.bat in the client's computer and its giving the error

; nested exception is:
        java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

I'm assuming this is because of the use of proxy. Is there a work around? What should be done to support Proxy?

Thanks

Venk

Message Edited by Venk_ModelMetri on 03-29-2004 01:26 PM

Hello Folks,

Our customer wants about 10-12 custom fields in Opportunity. In addition to that they want a way to sum up all these fields (text box) and store it in another field (total amount field) (text box) and save it to Sales Force. Since the page https://na1.salesforce.com/006/e?retURL=%2F006%2Fo is developed by sales force, we have no way to add client side javascript to sum all these custom fields(in text boxes) and populate it to the total amount field(text box).

Any work arounds? Another proposed work around is the use of web integration link where we can create an HTML file that has client side JavaScript to read the fields in the parent window (SalesForce.com new opportunity page) and sum it up to populate the total amount field in the parent window. But we found that the web integration links can be accessed only after the "save" button is clicked to save the opportunity. At this time, the form fields (Custom fields as text boxes) are already submitted to salesforce and not accessible by my child web integration link.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks

Venk

Vdakshin@modelmetrics.com