• 25 Points
  • Member since 2007

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

I have some general methodology questions regarding updating and inserting new Activities(i.e. - Tasks) in a Salesforce Organization.

I am able to insert tasks to a lead fairly easily. And those tasks all appear in the OpenActivity list properly.

• But, when I attempt to insert a "Closed" or "Completed" task, so that the task will appear in the Activity History of the Lead, the task is inserted into the Lead, but appears in the Open Activities list.
  • Is there something else that I should be doing here?
  • How can I get a newly created Task that is closed to appear in the Activity History List of the lead?

Please forgive my ignorance....:smileyhappy:

Any help that you can give me would be very much appreciated...

Yesterday's Winter09 Developer Highlights webinar mentioned some interesting new developer account features.  We were advised that we need to sign up for a fresh DE account to receive the new features, because existing DE accounts will not get the new features.  However, if I'm understanding correctly, developers that have already published managed-released packages from existing DE accounts will have a package prefix that is tied to their existing DE org.  That prefix is also intrinsic to the single managed package that is also tied to that org.  As far as I understand it, the tying of the prefix and the managed package to the DE account are key to making the package upgrades work.

So I think this means that existing managed apps cannot be moved to new DE orgs as far as I am aware.  Is there a way for these DE accounts to be upgraded to receive the new DE features?  Otherwise developers of existing managed packages won't have access to the new DE features.  Or maybe there's something I'm missing here?

• October 09, 2008
I asked this as a question on yesterday's Winter09 Highlights webinar and was advised to report the issues here.

I am trying to use the Force.com IDE plugin installed into FlexBuilder3 (which is based on Eclipse 3.3).  I'm doing this because I'm developing an Apex/Flex hybrid app and am already using FlexBuilder to develop the Flex code, so it makes sense to write the Apex code in the same IDE if possible.  It mostly works fine, but two specific aspects are not working for me:

1. Accessing the force.com help files within Eclipse.
2. The Apex code completion functionality.

On the first one, I posted the problem here and JoshVH kindly directed me to a fix that had been posted to a separate thread here.  So it's fixed for me, but I just wanted to make sure that SFDC is aware of it in case this can be fixed and go forward into a future release.

On the second one, code completion does not work correctly for me when editing Apex classes, as described here.  I don't have a solution for this one, so any help would be appreciated.

By the way if anyone has the Force.com IDE plugin working on FlexBuilder3, please reply as I'd be interested.

Thanks.
  • October 09, 2008
I have a problem with the help features in Eclipse 3.3 (actually Flex3, which is based onEclipse 3.3).  I have a workaround but this took quite a while to hit on, so I think that others might be struggling with the same problem.

I have a clean install of Flex3, and have installed the Force.com IDE plugin for Eclipse 3.3 exactly as described here.  I have a force.com project working, and I can edit and upload code no problem.  The probem is that if I search the Eclipse help, when I click a link to a help item, the links fail.  A little investigation has shown that this is because no HTTP listener is active on the port number referenced in the help URLs.  At first I thought that it was failing at random but I think I've spotted a pattern now:
  • When I start Eclipse, if an Apex code editor window is opened before I use the help function, help will then always fail until I close all Apex code editor windows and restart Eclipse.
    • This includes the case where an Apex code editor window is auto-opened when Eclipse starts, as part of the saved IDE state.
  • If instead I close all Apex code editor windows, restart Eclipse, then access help before I open any Apex code window, help will then work fine for the duration of my Eclipse session, no matter how many Apex code editor windows I open afterwards.
It seems to me that opening Apex code editor windows is somehow stopping the help HTTP listener from starting on first use.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Thanks.

PS: I also have a problem with Apex code auto-complete in Eclipse. See my reply to "Re: Eclipse - code auto-complete".
  • August 23, 2008

If I understand the other postings correctly, if we are an ISV building 5 related but stand-alone applications we need 5 separate DE orgs, one for each application/managed package.

Here's the problem:  What if there are shared custom objects and Apex classes that all 5 applications use?  A given customer may have 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 of the applications installed.  Does not the prepending of each DE namespace result in redundant code for the shared objects and Apex classes?  Also, how would you prevent the creation of up to 5 tables for an effectively identical custom object when you really want all five applications reading and writing to the same single table via the same page, controllers, object, etc?

Said another way, how do you separate and reuse cross-application architectural code and the applications that use it in a multi-application, managed-package environment?

Thanks!

Dave

• March 27, 2009

I have some general methodology questions regarding updating and inserting new Activities(i.e. - Tasks) in a Salesforce Organization.

I am able to insert tasks to a lead fairly easily. And those tasks all appear in the OpenActivity list properly.

• But, when I attempt to insert a "Closed" or "Completed" task, so that the task will appear in the Activity History of the Lead, the task is inserted into the Lead, but appears in the Open Activities list.
  • Is there something else that I should be doing here?
  • How can I get a newly created Task that is closed to appear in the Activity History List of the lead?

Please forgive my ignorance....:smileyhappy:

Any help that you can give me would be very much appreciated...

1.  Search doesn't work with "enter" key - must click search icon

a.  Go to the AppExchange home page

b. Type in a search term

c.  Hit enter

d.  Your page refreshes, still on the 'home' tab, with your search term in place - making it seem that you are looking at results (especially b/c the "home" tab randomly rotates through apps, so the new page is different from the last one).

Turns out you have to actually click the search icon to get to the "apps" tab to see results

This is the case on the 'apps' tab too - if you type a new search query, and then hit enter, the page does refresh but with your old search results displayed but with your NEW search query still in the search query box.  Strangely, if you then hit the "next page" button on your old results, it all of a sudden starts using your NEW search query.

Here's an .avi showing the above behavior.  There are four page loads shown in the video:

1.  home tab: type "email" in query box, hit return = page refresh on home tab

2.  click search icon = page reload to 'app tab'

3.  app tab: type "yada" in search box, hit return = page refresh with old results

4.  app tab: click "next page" of search results = partial refresh with NEW results

2. Old AppExchange URLs no longer work.

I'm sure many, many partners have links on their websites to their AppExchange listings.  All of those links are now broken.

3.  The new implementation does not support HTTPS (the old version did).

Trying to use an HTTPS url gives this:

AppExchange on SSL error

Update: apparently HTTPS is supported, but using a different domain (https://sites.secure.force.com instead of http://sites.force.com).

4.  The "Demo" and "Screenshot" popups take a long time to load

Between 3 and 6 seconds in my experience, so the links appear to do nothing.  And then a popup appears when you're no longer expecting it.

Message Edited by jhart on 03-18-2009 12:48 PM
Message Edited by jhart on 03-18-2009 02:44 PM
  • March 18, 2009
I am getting the message "api_disabled_for_org" when connecting from Force IDE - Eclipse and Sforce Explorer.    I am using the 30 day trial which the way I understand it is the "developer edition".  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Is API access supported in the 30 day trial version developer edition?   If not, what is the cheapest version I can buy for 1 developer to get API access and how do I do that?  I am just trying this out at this point and need to use some external tools such as the above.

Thanks!
Hello,

We have a key/token that allows us to perform integrations using the web services API on behalf of our "Professional Edition" clients since the web services API is not a part of the "Professional Edition" offering.    Would the same concept apply to our clients that use the "Group Edition" offering? 

We use the code snipet below (note that _SFDCPartnerKey points to a variable in our code and is not our actual key/token)

Dim sforceService As New SforceService

sforceService.CallOptionsValue = New CallOptions

sforceService.CallOptionsValue.client = _SFDCPartnerKey

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Scott

• December 02, 2008
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Salesforce development so I apologize in advance if this is an obvious question...  Here's the deal:  I'm using a web services call to integrate with an external application (via Javascript -> APEX) and I need to store authentication credentials within Salesforce.  These credentials are for authentication to the web service and they will be the same for all users within a given Salesforce implementation.  I don't want the administrators to have to enter the same username and password for every User they create so I'm trying to find a way to store the data once and reference it from JavaScript or the APEX classes.  Has anyone done this?

I've search for "global variable", "shared variable", "application-specific configuration", etc. but the results are not useful.  One thought was extending the "Setup" items to include some application-specific data but I can't find a way to do this anywhere.  I even thought about using a Static Resource but that seems unnecessarily cumbersome; I'd have read the file every time a web services call was made.

Any suggestions would be much-appreciated.

Thanks,

Damon
  • October 30, 2008
Good Morning to All,

I m the new in the apex. I have configured my eclipse for the apex development. Every thing
was going fine but suddenly one problem arose.

As in the usual java development if we click ctrl+space keys a pop-up window opens up which help
you to select appropriate item(i.e. function or object name)to auto complete.

Can I do same for the apex class plz tell me bcz it is very simple thing, which I dont know???

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
  • October 17, 2008
Could you point me in the right direction.  I am able to query opportunities using a line of code like

Dim qr As apex.QueryResult = binding.query("Select Name, StageName, ProjectID__c from Opportunity Where StageName = 'Signed Engagement'")

Now I simply want to Update an opportunity using a query like

("UPDATE Opportunity SET ProjectID__c = '80xxx' WHERE Name = '" & opportunity.Name.ToString & "'")

but I am really stuck on the syntax.  What might it look like?

I am working on a simple (or so I thought) Employee and PTO app.  The PTO object looks up to the Employee.  I would like to automate the creation of PTO items at different times - 90 days after the Employee start date, and yearly on their anniversary (ie create a new PTO item for this Employee when eligible, filling in the Amount with a field on the Employee, etc).  I have all the fields in place for this but realized I don't know how to make it happen.

I have searched everywhere I know of, and I have gleaned that 1. I cannot use existing Workflows to do a cross-object 'anything' (except on children), 2. I cannot use existing SF functionality to automate creation of anything.  It seems it can be programmed somehow though?

If anyone can help by pointing me in the right direction that would be great.  I have programming background but haven't programmed in SF besides doing the basic Eclipse IDE thingy - setting up an object and creating fields.  I thought I read something about Apex or AJAX - but can't find any 'Here's how to get started' tutorials or if that's even the right place to look for this.

I'd love to start programming with this and it seems simple enough, so I hope someone can help!
  • October 10, 2008
Hello Everybody,

I'm really newby whit Apex, this is my first testMethod and I'm stuck with this. Maybe anyone can help me?

The method I want to test called checkOrder waits for a Opportunity object who is sent by a call in a  before update trigger.
I try to simulate this on my testMethod but obviously I'm not doing this well 'cause in the call to checkIntranetOrder inside my test method the for condition never begins.

What I'm doing wrong? What is the way to simulate the pass of a Opportunity  object as sent by a trigger.new or trigger.old?

Thanks in advance

The code:

public static testMethod void TestcheckIntranetOrder() {
        Opportunity[] lOp = [Select Id,Order__c from Opportunity where Id = '006R000000286W2']; --> Make a Opportunity whit the values I need

chekOrder(lOp); --> Call chekOrder Method
    }

public static void checkOrder(Opportunity[] accs){
         for (Opportunity a:accs){            --> Want a opportunity 
             if (a.Order__c!=NULL){   
                 a.addError('Alert');
            }        
         }
     }
}
  • October 09, 2008
In order to sell an app on the app exchange, does it need to be written in Apex?  Is there any way to sell an app built upon the web services API through the app exchange?
I asked this as a question on yesterday's Winter09 Highlights webinar and was advised to report the issues here.

I am trying to use the Force.com IDE plugin installed into FlexBuilder3 (which is based on Eclipse 3.3).  I'm doing this because I'm developing an Apex/Flex hybrid app and am already using FlexBuilder to develop the Flex code, so it makes sense to write the Apex code in the same IDE if possible.  It mostly works fine, but two specific aspects are not working for me:

1. Accessing the force.com help files within Eclipse.
2. The Apex code completion functionality.

On the first one, I posted the problem here and JoshVH kindly directed me to a fix that had been posted to a separate thread here.  So it's fixed for me, but I just wanted to make sure that SFDC is aware of it in case this can be fixed and go forward into a future release.

On the second one, code completion does not work correctly for me when editing Apex classes, as described here.  I don't have a solution for this one, so any help would be appreciated.

By the way if anyone has the Force.com IDE plugin working on FlexBuilder3, please reply as I'd be interested.

Thanks.
  • October 09, 2008
I have a problem with the help features in Eclipse 3.3 (actually Flex3, which is based onEclipse 3.3).  I have a workaround but this took quite a while to hit on, so I think that others might be struggling with the same problem.

I have a clean install of Flex3, and have installed the Force.com IDE plugin for Eclipse 3.3 exactly as described here.  I have a force.com project working, and I can edit and upload code no problem.  The probem is that if I search the Eclipse help, when I click a link to a help item, the links fail.  A little investigation has shown that this is because no HTTP listener is active on the port number referenced in the help URLs.  At first I thought that it was failing at random but I think I've spotted a pattern now:
  • When I start Eclipse, if an Apex code editor window is opened before I use the help function, help will then always fail until I close all Apex code editor windows and restart Eclipse.
    • This includes the case where an Apex code editor window is auto-opened when Eclipse starts, as part of the saved IDE state.
  • If instead I close all Apex code editor windows, restart Eclipse, then access help before I open any Apex code window, help will then work fine for the duration of my Eclipse session, no matter how many Apex code editor windows I open afterwards.
It seems to me that opening Apex code editor windows is somehow stopping the help HTTP listener from starting on first use.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Thanks.

PS: I also have a problem with Apex code auto-complete in Eclipse. See my reply to "Re: Eclipse - code auto-complete".
  • August 23, 2008
I have created a fairly simple package consisting of custom fields for the lead, account, and contact objects.

Each object has a one field that is an external Id so that the particular object can be upserted.

When I install the package on a Developer Edition or Enterprise Edition, it works fine.

When I install it on a Professional Edition with Web API enabled, it installs OK. The new fields are created as external Id's just fine.

One thing that is strange is that installing on the Professional Edition is a 2-step process, while it is a 3-step process on Developer and Enterprise. The step that is left out is the middle step option to Deploy for all users, admin users, etc.

But when I try to execute the upsert command, with the same code that works for the Developer and Enterprise Editions, api returns an error that the external Id field cannot be found.

So, why can a field that is existing on Professional Edition not be found.

Any ideas? Am I trying to do something that cannot be done?

I currently have Eclipse 3.2 and downloaded the Force.com IDE plugin for 3.2.  While the plugin is working-- I am not getting any code-complete on my objects/ apex code.  One of our consultants (not from salesforce) - has Eclipse 3.3 wth the 3.3 plugin - and only gets code-complete on S-controls....   Are we supposed to get code-complete functionality with this plugin? From the description it sounds like yes.   Anyone know why this function may not be working in Eclipse with the Force.com plugin??
  • February 26, 2008
Hi,
       I set up a new event on Salesforce GUI at    8:00 AM, 12/21/2006,  when I took a look in your stored data via the Eclipse plugin, it is stored as  Thu Dec 21 10:00:00 CST 2006.  When I query the Event, the returned string shows  2006-12-21T16:00:00.000Z.    My Time zone is CST.
      So my question is what conversion I need to do in order to correctly translate the returned string from the query?
      According to the api:

Date/time values (timestamps). Fields of this type handle date/time values (timestamps), such as ActivityDateTime in the Event object or the CreatedDate, LastModifiedDate, or SystemModstamp in many objects. Regular dateTime fields are full timestamps with a precision of one second. They are always transferred in the GMT/UTC time zone. In your client application, you might need to translate the timestamp to or from a local time zone.

So does that mean if  I set up a new event for  8:00 AM, 12/21/2006 in my client application, I need to first convert it to GMT time before I put it into new QName("ActivityDateTime"),  " yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ssZ"); , and when I received something back from the query, like the above
2006-12-21T16:00:00.000Z, it is the time in GMT time zone?
       What is the tailing 000Z anyway?

Thanks for your help.

• December 20, 2006