• Member since 2008

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hello,

I'm a relatively experienced developer, but am new to salesforce.  A client has asked us to put together an application to demo some things for them.  I've been able to do what I want to do so far, but I've been having a number of headaches with salesforce in general.

My first issue was that building things (Objects, Tabs, Apps, etc) with the web-interface, while functional, was way too slow to do things on the scale I want to do them.  This is understandable -- it's a web interface, and it needs to be usable by users at every point along the experience spectrum.

I looked around for a more "heavyweight" solution for developing Salesforce stuff and found the Force IDE plugin for Eclipse (distributed on this website).   I've got that up and running, and while it works, I seem to keep hitting weird annoying glitches. 

My most recent frustration is the IDE's weird tendency to revert all the changes I made to an object if it fails validation -- I'll hit Alt+F S to save, it will churn for a bit, throw an error in the "Problems" tab and then mysteriously revert all the changes I made since last succesful (error free save).   I'm able to work around by hitting Ctrl+Z, but obviously this is really annoying.

I'm sure this is related to me doing something wrong, but it seems like it's one thing after another.  I'm a developer so I understand that it can take a while to get the bugs worked out of things, but this is really frustrating.  Is there an alternate way to do this stuff?  Is there anyway I can use Visual Studio?  Is there a more polished version of the Eclipse plugin?  Thanks for any help you guys can give me,

-John

Hello,

I'm a relatively experienced developer, but am new to salesforce.  A client has asked us to put together an application to demo some things for them.  I've been able to do what I want to do so far, but I've been having a number of headaches with salesforce in general.

My first issue was that building things (Objects, Tabs, Apps, etc) with the web-interface, while functional, was way too slow to do things on the scale I want to do them.  This is understandable -- it's a web interface, and it needs to be usable by users at every point along the experience spectrum.

I looked around for a more "heavyweight" solution for developing Salesforce stuff and found the Force IDE plugin for Eclipse (distributed on this website).   I've got that up and running, and while it works, I seem to keep hitting weird annoying glitches. 

My most recent frustration is the IDE's weird tendency to revert all the changes I made to an object if it fails validation -- I'll hit Alt+F S to save, it will churn for a bit, throw an error in the "Problems" tab and then mysteriously revert all the changes I made since last succesful (error free save).   I'm able to work around by hitting Ctrl+Z, but obviously this is really annoying.

I'm sure this is related to me doing something wrong, but it seems like it's one thing after another.  I'm a developer so I understand that it can take a while to get the bugs worked out of things, but this is really frustrating.  Is there an alternate way to do this stuff?  Is there anyway I can use Visual Studio?  Is there a more polished version of the Eclipse plugin?  Thanks for any help you guys can give me,

-John