• 0 Points
  • Member since 2008

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
I have seen that a number of people have experienced my issue of wanting to have a text field dependent on a pick list field -- meaning that if a certain value was selected in a pick list, then the text field would require data entry.  (e.g. if user selects 'Other', then user must complete Comments field).

I do not want to manage this via field validation that occurs when the record is saved.  I would also prefer not to achieve this with an S-control.  I'm thinking that this is best achieved with VisualForce.

Ideally, I would like for the text field (i.e. Comments field) to display upon selection of the 'Other' pick list value.  (IT would remain hidden if the 'Other' pick list value was not selected.)

I believe that this is done with a partial page refresh.  I am looking for help in the form of a simple example of house this would be coded in a VisualForce page.

Thanks,
Scott
I have seen that a number of people have experienced my issue of wanting to have a text field dependent on a pick list field -- meaning that if a certain value was selected in a pick list, then the text field would require data entry.  (e.g. if user selects 'Other', then user must complete Comments field).

I do not want to manage this via field validation that occurs when the record is saved.  I would also prefer not to achieve this with an S-control.  I'm thinking that this is best achieved with VisualForce.

Ideally, I would like for the text field (i.e. Comments field) to display upon selection of the 'Other' pick list value.  (IT would remain hidden if the 'Other' pick list value was not selected.)

I believe that this is done with a partial page refresh.  I am looking for help in the form of a simple example of house this would be coded in a VisualForce page.

Thanks,
Scott