• 0 Points
  • Member since 2008

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

I've asked this question before and have not had much feedback.

I'm looking for an SDLC development model suited to many developers working with SalesForce.

We're in the teething phases and have setup a n-developer sandboxes and a single CVS repostory.  The sandbox covers ALL metadata and objects.  Typically we'll sync changes through a combinations of updates/commits/deploy to server/refresh from server.

We've hit walls where:

* Profiles may get committed referring to objects a developer hadn't intended to ci y et.

* Some profiles won't get exported alone (resolved)

* We're forced to upgrade to Summer 2009 versions (where this should have already been the case)

* CVS updated changes to custom Objects won't get overwritten when you explicitly try to refresh from server

This may be a case of us getting used to a development model where one has to synch first with a local file sandbox and then with a cloud sandbox.  In any case if someone has gotten around these issues and defined processes for working in such a context, I would be grateful to hear about it.

I'd very much like to hear about other people's experiences, whether with CVS, Subversion or any other technologies.  

Thanks,

Raf

• September 14, 2009

Hi Community,

I've created a CVS repository by importing 'all meta-data' from a configuration sandbox via Force.com IDE - including ALL customised and native entities.

I had a number of developers who have checked-out this tree from CVS and I'm seeing the following errors when trying to 'Deploy to Server'  back to their sandboxes:

---------------------------

File Name:    profiles/Company Director.profile
   Full Name:  Company Director
   Action:  NO ACTION
   Result:  FAILED
   Problem: CRUD Permissions are not available for this entity : Product2

File Name:    profiles/Managing Director.profile
   Full Name:  Managing Director
   Problem: Permission View All Data depends on permission(s): Read Idea

------------------------

* These errors occur when trying a user is updating into his own sandbox. 

* I've found that explictly exporting one of these profiles yeilds an empty profile (ie. <profile/> ) even where the web-frontend indicates that this has various settings against it.

* The errors not occur for other layouts. 

I'm not really sure where to set these permissions - since the user is admin in his own sandbox.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Many Thanks,

Raf

• September 08, 2009

Hi All,

This is a repost of a question which went unanswered in the 'General Developments' thread.  Would be grateful for feedback and shared experiences.

I'm looking at best practice suggestions for collaborative development in Force.com.  I'm working on a project which is scaling up from a single developer to several. 

Ideally I'd like us to work in seperate sandboxes, merge and deploy to a single pre-release sandbox, test, tag and deploy from there.  I'm considering using local version control via the IDE and forcing state changes in the cloud through forced 'save to server's. 

A couple of questions:

i) How do others handle collaboration and versioning?

ii) Can one version state of non-programmatic constructs (ie. custom objects, etc)?

iii) Is there someway of cloning the state of my sandbox directly into that of another developer's sandbox?

Any thoughts / suggestions / lesson-from-the-field would be valuable.

Thanks,

R.

• September 01, 2009

Hi All,

I'm looking at best practice suggestions for collaborative development in Force.com.  I'm working on a project which is scaling up from a single developer to several. 

Ideally I'd like us to work in seperate sandboxes, merge and deploy to a single pre-release sandbox, test, tag and deploy from there.  I'm considering using version control on the IDE side and forcing state changes in the cloud through forced 'save to server's.  Although this wouldn't covery object state and other metadata.

A couple of questions:

i) How do others handle collaboration and versioning?

ii) Can one version state of non-programmatic constructs (ie. custom objects, etc)?

iii) Is there someway of cloning the state of my sandbox directly into that of another developer?

Any thoughts/ suggestions/lesson-from-the-fieldwould be valuable.

Thanks,

raf

• August 25, 2009

In designing an SF Object and deciding on a practical length for a text field - I would like to understand the associated representation in Salesforce's underlying database.  

Can someone shed light ( and preferably direct me to the correct document ) on whether I'm specifying the length on a fixed length field or a varchar?

Thanks,

Raf

• August 24, 2009

I'm new to SF developement and have not been able to find a recommended 'best-practice' for representing many-to-many relationships between objects.

I've designed the following entities:

i)   Invoice - Representing a demand for payment - which may be payed through multiple payments

ii)  Payment - Representing an actual payment (which may be allocating 'across' multiple invoices.

iii) PaymentAllocation - Essentially a relationship container - associating a paymentId to an invoiceId

The later would be populated in Apex space and is my attempt to repersent this sort of many-to-many relationship which does not appear to come out of the box.

I was hoping that others would advise as to the recommended 'SalesForce' way of accomplishing this sort of relationship/behaviour?

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

Raf

• August 24, 2009
Hi,

Salesforce's getUpdated request returns a list of record ids that have
been updated in a given time window. It also returns
'latestDateCovered' which confirms to the requestor the time window in
which these records were updated.

We send a request as follows:
        getUpdated(sObjectType startDate EndDate)

After each request we store the latestDateCovered to use as the
startDate for the next request, and we always set the EndDate to be now.

We make this request every 10 minutes and usually everything is fine.
However yesterday we noticed that the request seemed to get "stuck":

i) We made a request at 11:02 UTC and the value for latestDateCovered
was 2008-07-21T10:57:00.
ii) We made our next call at 11.12 UTC and the value for
latestDateCovered was still 2008-07-21T10:57:00.
iii) Repeated ii over and over until...
iv) ...about 18:15 UTC when the latestDateCovered
suddenly jumped to 2008-07-21T18:12:00.

This means that towards the end of yesterday the API wasn't reporting
changes for over 7 hours and our systems were very out of sync.

So my questions are:
1) Has anyone else seen this happen before and what did you do?
2) Does anyone know what Salesforce consider an acceptable delay for
these sort of API calls to be? I can't find anything about this on the
API Developer's Guide at all. This is a business critical function for
us, and a 20 minute delay would be fine, but several hours was a serious
problem.

We first experienced this problem on two consecutive days a month ago
but unfortunately our support ticket is still pending.

Thanks for any help.

Katherine
  • July 22, 2008

In designing an SF Object and deciding on a practical length for a text field - I would like to understand the associated representation in Salesforce's underlying database.  

Can someone shed light ( and preferably direct me to the correct document ) on whether I'm specifying the length on a fixed length field or a varchar?

Thanks,

Raf

• August 24, 2009

Hi Community,

I've created a CVS repository by importing 'all meta-data' from a configuration sandbox via Force.com IDE - including ALL customised and native entities.

I had a number of developers who have checked-out this tree from CVS and I'm seeing the following errors when trying to 'Deploy to Server'  back to their sandboxes:

---------------------------

File Name:    profiles/Company Director.profile
   Full Name:  Company Director
   Problem: CRUD Permissions are not available for this entity : Product2

File Name:    profiles/Managing Director.profile
   Full Name:  Managing Director
   Problem: Permission View All Data depends on permission(s): Read Idea

------------------------

* These errors occur when trying a user is updating into his own sandbox. 

* I've found that explictly exporting one of these profiles yeilds an empty profile (ie. <profile/> ) even where the web-frontend indicates that this has various settings against it.

* The errors not occur for other layouts. 

I'm not really sure where to set these permissions - since the user is admin in his own sandbox.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Many Thanks,

Raf

• September 08, 2009

Hi,

I need to ask u one question.

I have a bundled java code or say a python code.

Can deploy it on Force.com ie using the IDE or Migration toolkit.

Can I just deploy applications build on Force.com ie a Apex or some visualforce pages.

Please reply .. As i am in a fix..

Can you please tell me or give me some documentation as how deployment is made easy in Force.com

Regards,

Diti

• August 25, 2009