• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hello, forum:

[Similar question to one I asked in a different thread...]

I've created a VF page for creating new child objects from a related list on a parent.  This page has a pageBlock at the top of the page where parent values are displayed.  The 'name' field of the parent displays just fine, but another custom field within the parent does not display.

I have this line in my VF page:

<apex:outputField id="projectName" value="{!Solicitor__c.SOL_Bidding_Opportunity__r.BO_Project_Name__c}"/>

But this field doesn't display.

My controller extension looks like this:

public class solicitorExtension { public solicitorExtension(ApexPages.StandardController controller) { Solicitor__c sol = (Solicitor__c)controller.getRecord(); //if you always create the child object through relatedList //parent should not be null if (sol.SOL_Bidding_Opportunity__c != null) { Bidding_Opportunity__c bo = [select BO_Bid_Due_Date_Time__c, BO_Project_Name__c from Bidding_Opportunity__c where id =: sol.SOL_Bidding_Opportunity__c limit 1]; sol.SOL_Bid_Due_Date_Time__c = bo.BO_Bid_Due_Date_Time__c; sol.SOL_Revision_Number__c = 'ORIG'; sol.SOL_Status__c = 'Prospective'; } } }

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

• February 05, 2010

Hello, Forum:

I've read various posts around the forums concerning the defaulting in of values from a parent object into a newly created child object.  But I still don't see a solution out there.

I've created a VF page.  Using a topmost pageBlock, I've created a sort of boilerplate region where certain key information from the parent object is displayed.  This is a common technique, and it serves to orient the user in the child object with respect to the parent object.

But I'm having trouble implementing this technique.  It seems that newly created child objects do not have access to parent object values.  This is absolutely essential.  I need to fill in certain child fields based on values in the parent.  For example, in the boilerplate region, I need to display the project name of the parent object, not just its name.  The bid due date and time on the parent object needs to default in as the bid due date and time for the child object, etc.

Is there a way to accomplish this with JavaScript?  If we can't accomplish this, it would be a dealbreaker for us with SF.

Thank you.

• February 01, 2010

Hello,

I've created a custom view and, using a technique explained elsewhere on the forum, which involves a VF page, have set this custom view to be the default view on which the user lands when selecting a particular tab.

That custom view is an Enhanced List, which is awesome.  That's what I want.  But how do I remove the checkboxes from the leftmost column?  I want all of the features of the Enhanced List except multi-select.

Thank you. 

• January 28, 2010

Hello Forum:

I know I'm missing something here.  I'm trying to make a Lookup field required on a custom object (so that the red bar appears next to the field).

Is this possible?

Thank you.

• January 15, 2010

I've discovered that creating an autonumber field that resets the sequential portion after the year changes is not possible.  Accomplishing this, in general, seems non-trivial.

I think I have a way around it, though.  What if I were to create a method on an Apex class that runs under the Apex Scheduler at the beginning of each year that programmatically resets the starting number of an autonumber field?

Can the starting number be set programmatically?  I read elsewhere on the Discussion Boards where one has to change the autonumber field to a text field, and then back to an autonumber field with the new starting number.  If the year is part of the autonumber's format, this should avoid the uniqueness issue.

Is all of this possible?

Thank you.

• December 21, 2009

Hello, Forum:

I've read various posts around the forums concerning the defaulting in of values from a parent object into a newly created child object.  But I still don't see a solution out there.

I've created a VF page.  Using a topmost pageBlock, I've created a sort of boilerplate region where certain key information from the parent object is displayed.  This is a common technique, and it serves to orient the user in the child object with respect to the parent object.

But I'm having trouble implementing this technique.  It seems that newly created child objects do not have access to parent object values.  This is absolutely essential.  I need to fill in certain child fields based on values in the parent.  For example, in the boilerplate region, I need to display the project name of the parent object, not just its name.  The bid due date and time on the parent object needs to default in as the bid due date and time for the child object, etc.

Is there a way to accomplish this with JavaScript?  If we can't accomplish this, it would be a dealbreaker for us with SF.

Thank you.

• February 01, 2010

Hello,

I've created a custom view and, using a technique explained elsewhere on the forum, which involves a VF page, have set this custom view to be the default view on which the user lands when selecting a particular tab.

That custom view is an Enhanced List, which is awesome.  That's what I want.  But how do I remove the checkboxes from the leftmost column?  I want all of the features of the Enhanced List except multi-select.

Thank you. 

• January 28, 2010

Hello Forum:

I know I'm missing something here.  I'm trying to make a Lookup field required on a custom object (so that the red bar appears next to the field).

Is this possible?

Thank you.

• January 15, 2010