• 50 Points
  • Member since 2010

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

This is a frustrating problem to solve because the solution is already there in "native" fields with Lookup filters BUT they don't work for the opportunity.  So here's the problem:

On a case object, we have the case creator pick an opportunity for the case to be associated with.  Only opportunites with a flag set are valid to be chosen.  So the user adds the case and selects the chooser (Search lookup) for an opp but AGH, they get the entire list returned and there are squillions.  What I'd like to be able to do is filter the search to only opps with flag ABC set.

Now, Lookup filters do exactly this but they are not available on opps (why oh why..).  So...anyone have any ideas of another way I can override the functionality of the search for opps?  Perhaps with some VF or Apex?  I really don't want to over-ride the entire opportunity functionality, just the search...

Cheers

Dave

• March 30, 2011

I'm almost embarassed to ask this but I've searched, read the docs, etc. and have what seems like a very simple question.

In our setup, we have a case which can be linked to an Opportunity (via a lookup field).  really though, this could be any object.  What I want to do is pull some info from the linked opp to display on the case page layout.  Having done some VF work before on the Solutions controller, seems like a logical choice..however, I cannot find for the life of me how to get the related fields.  Here's my "code":

<apex:page standardController="Case" > Case number: {!case.CaseNumber} <br/> Opp Name: {!case.Opportunity__c} </apex:page>

The problem of course is that the "Opp name" gives the salesforce ID.  What I'd like to say is:

Opp Name: {!case.Opportunity__c.Name}

But of course that fails.  So the question is...how do I get access to the related object data fields from within my current VF page when using the "case" controller?

Thanks!

D

• March 09, 2010

I'm having an interesting problem with a time based workflow that perhaps is just my misunderstanding of how they work or I'm missing something.

The problem I'm solving is "nagging" support engineers if a case hasn't been modified (updated) in 8 days.  Seems simple enough.  So I created a time based workflow as such:

Eval Criteria: When a record is created, or when a record is edited and did not previously meet the rule criteria

Rule Criteria: (Case: Sub Status not equal to Maintenance Expired) and (Case: Closed not equal toFalse) and (Case: Status not equal to New-Unassigned)

Time based workflow: 8 Days After Case: Last Modified Date

So on the critera, I only want to add the event if the case isn't pending because the client's maint has expired and it's not yet been assigned.  The key one though is don't "nag" if the case is closed.

What we're finding is that the engineers are getting nagged even if they have already closed the case.  It's like what is happening is:

Case status changes to open - workflow gets triggered; adds event

Case is worked...case is closed before 8 days are up

Workflow still nags

Do I need to do something to trigger a remove of a scheduled workflow event if the case is closed or something?  I would have expected that at fire time, it would check the critiera, say "ah, the case is now closed" (case closed = true) and just drop the event.

Any pointers?

Cheers

D

• March 03, 2010

Hi folks,

I'm creating a VF page that will make it easier for our support engineers to produce PDFs of knowledge base "solutions".  This is incredibly easy with the VF "renderas" tag - all I need is a simple page that shows the solution and some extra text around it.

The page should be dirt simple...the problem I'm facing is that the way the solution detail renders when viewed on the "solutions" tab within SF is quite different than how it's rendering when used in my VF page.  I find that the spacing around images is vastly different for example.  Looking at the raw HTML, it looks like VF is doing things correct (ie. the HTML has a lot of breaks, etc.) yet the Solutions page is quite different.

So the obvious question...how can I get my VF page to look like the solutions page?  For what it's worth, here's the very simple code.  My problem is with the SolutionNote (which is stored in SF as html).

<apex:page standardController="Solution"> <h1>{!solution.SolutionName}</h1> <br></br><br></br> <h2>Solution Number:</h2> {!solution.SolutionNumber} <apex:pageBlock title="Solution Details"> <apex:outputText escape="false" value="{!solution.SolutionNote}" /> </apex:pageBlock> </apex:page>

Any pointers are appreciated.

Cheers

D

• February 25, 2010

Morning all,

I've been looking at this for a day or so now but I cannot find a way to do what I'm after..maybe someone here has an idea.

We have a workflow that sets the case status to PENDING when an incoming email is received on a case (we use email2case).  That works fantastic and easily lets the engineer know they have work to do on this case.  Further, we "auto nag" every 1,2,4 hours if the email hasn't been read.

However.  Currently, the engineer has to manually change the case status when they have read the email to stop the nagger.  I'd like to change this automatically when they have read the email (where read is defined as reading in SF.com).  So I have a new workflow on the Email object that says:

(Email Message: Status equals Read) and (Email Message: Is Incoming equals True)
Given that the email message status changes from NEW to READ when you read the email in SF.  My problem?  The workflow isn't firing even though the email status is changing.  I have the eval critiera on the workflow set to "Every time a record is created or edited" but I've also tried "...did not previously meet".
So the question.  Is there a way with workflows to change the case status when an email is read?
Thanks!
Dave
  • February 18, 2010

I'm almost embarassed to ask this but I've searched, read the docs, etc. and have what seems like a very simple question.

In our setup, we have a case which can be linked to an Opportunity (via a lookup field).  really though, this could be any object.  What I want to do is pull some info from the linked opp to display on the case page layout.  Having done some VF work before on the Solutions controller, seems like a logical choice..however, I cannot find for the life of me how to get the related fields.  Here's my "code":

<apex:page standardController="Case" > Case number: {!case.CaseNumber} <br/> Opp Name: {!case.Opportunity__c} </apex:page>

The problem of course is that the "Opp name" gives the salesforce ID.  What I'd like to say is:

Opp Name: {!case.Opportunity__c.Name}

But of course that fails.  So the question is...how do I get access to the related object data fields from within my current VF page when using the "case" controller?

Thanks!

D

• March 09, 2010

I'm having an interesting problem with a time based workflow that perhaps is just my misunderstanding of how they work or I'm missing something.

The problem I'm solving is "nagging" support engineers if a case hasn't been modified (updated) in 8 days.  Seems simple enough.  So I created a time based workflow as such:

Eval Criteria: When a record is created, or when a record is edited and did not previously meet the rule criteria

Rule Criteria: (Case: Sub Status not equal to Maintenance Expired) and (Case: Closed not equal toFalse) and (Case: Status not equal to New-Unassigned)

Time based workflow: 8 Days After Case: Last Modified Date

So on the critera, I only want to add the event if the case isn't pending because the client's maint has expired and it's not yet been assigned.  The key one though is don't "nag" if the case is closed.

What we're finding is that the engineers are getting nagged even if they have already closed the case.  It's like what is happening is:

Case status changes to open - workflow gets triggered; adds event

Case is worked...case is closed before 8 days are up

Workflow still nags

Do I need to do something to trigger a remove of a scheduled workflow event if the case is closed or something?  I would have expected that at fire time, it would check the critiera, say "ah, the case is now closed" (case closed = true) and just drop the event.

Any pointers?

Cheers

D

• March 03, 2010

Hi folks,

I'm creating a VF page that will make it easier for our support engineers to produce PDFs of knowledge base "solutions".  This is incredibly easy with the VF "renderas" tag - all I need is a simple page that shows the solution and some extra text around it.

The page should be dirt simple...the problem I'm facing is that the way the solution detail renders when viewed on the "solutions" tab within SF is quite different than how it's rendering when used in my VF page.  I find that the spacing around images is vastly different for example.  Looking at the raw HTML, it looks like VF is doing things correct (ie. the HTML has a lot of breaks, etc.) yet the Solutions page is quite different.

So the obvious question...how can I get my VF page to look like the solutions page?  For what it's worth, here's the very simple code.  My problem is with the SolutionNote (which is stored in SF as html).

<apex:page standardController="Solution"> <h1>{!solution.SolutionName}</h1> <br></br><br></br> <h2>Solution Number:</h2> {!solution.SolutionNumber} <apex:pageBlock title="Solution Details"> <apex:outputText escape="false" value="{!solution.SolutionNote}" /> </apex:pageBlock> </apex:page>

Any pointers are appreciated.

Cheers

D

• February 25, 2010

Morning all,

I've been looking at this for a day or so now but I cannot find a way to do what I'm after..maybe someone here has an idea.

We have a workflow that sets the case status to PENDING when an incoming email is received on a case (we use email2case).  That works fantastic and easily lets the engineer know they have work to do on this case.  Further, we "auto nag" every 1,2,4 hours if the email hasn't been read.

However.  Currently, the engineer has to manually change the case status when they have read the email to stop the nagger.  I'd like to change this automatically when they have read the email (where read is defined as reading in SF.com).  So I have a new workflow on the Email object that says:

(Email Message: Status equals Read) and (Email Message: Is Incoming equals True)
Given that the email message status changes from NEW to READ when you read the email in SF.  My problem?  The workflow isn't firing even though the email status is changing.  I have the eval critiera on the workflow set to "Every time a record is created or edited" but I've also tried "...did not previously meet".
So the question.  Is there a way with workflows to change the case status when an email is read?
Thanks!
Dave
  • February 18, 2010