• 50 Points
  • Member since 2010

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

We have a managed extension package that has been available on the AppExchange for over 3 years. We are in the process of finalizing an updated version to our extension so we have been actively testing the install and uninstall process within a variety of development orgs. The new version of our package is still set as 'beta'. We have encountered a problem in 2 separate orgs which seem to have only started to occur since the Spring 13 release (we have sucessfully completed the exact same install/uninstall testing on many upgrades in the past with no issues whatsoever). Note: no major components, pages, etc. were added as part of this new version.

Here is the scenario:

1. Install the beta version of our extension package into a Spring 13 org.

2. Uninstall the beta version of our extension package.

3. Attempt to reinstall the beta version - OR any previous version (including release versions that have been working fine for years) - and receive the very cryptic error message that the install failed with an even more cryptic error code.

We created a case and fortunately they were able to provide some additional error log information. The log information implies that certain components included in our package are 'duplicates'. This makes us believe that the previous uninstall did not completely remove some of the items in our package - namely, 2 custom fields that are included in the package. We have NEVER had this issue before and believe me, we have tested our install/uninstall process hundreds of times. The initial install worked fine - it just fails after an uninstall and a re-install.

I am posting this on the discussion boards because i am not sure how much support i will get from salesforce.com.

Has anyone else encountered this situation? If so, please speak up. Maybe we can collectively work together to get the attention of the salesforce support team - beyond just first level support.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

• February 09, 2013

So, I believe i have found what appears to be a bug with the new Dynamic Visualforce Binding. I created a case with all the information, but unfortunately since i don't have 'premier' status, Salesforce will not even take a look at the issue. Therefore, I am reaching out to my awesome force.com developers out there to see if anyone else has encountered something similar. Maybe i will get lucky and find someone with 'premier' status to help out.

Here's the situation: I have built a Visualforce page with a component that contains an apex:datatable. As part of the datatable definition, I have a set of dynamically defined columns. In each column i have an apex:outputField that uses Dynamic Visualforce Binding to specify the value:

<apex:outputField value="{!pos.Obj[col.FieldName]}" />
    where 'pos.Obj' represents the row object and
    'col.FieldName' represents the API name for the associated field.

If the FieldName is a field directly on the object (example: FirstName), everything works fine in all situations.

If the FieldName is a field from a referenced field on the object (example: Owner.FirstName or ReportsTo.Email), then salesforce will throw an 'Insufficient Privileges' error if there are records in the list where the referenced item is null. If all records in the list have a value in the referenced field, then the list displays correctly.

To illustrate: if the FieldName is 'ReportsTo.Email', then if all Contacts in the results list have a value in the ReportsTo field, the page displays correctly.

If any one of the Contacts in the results list has a null value in the ReportsTo field, then the page displays an 'Insufficient Privileges' error.

Seems to me they have an issue binding to field values on a referenced object when that referenced object happens to be null for a particular record.

Thanks in advance for any help/assistance you can provide.

• July 14, 2012

I wasn't sure which topic I should submit this issue, but since there have been recent posts about performance in the Visualforce Development category, I am entering the post here. However, the issue appears on the standard tab pages with no custom development code involved.

Has anyone seen a huge performance degradation when resizing the Salesforce window when viewing information on the standard tabs like Accounts, Leads, Contacts, etc.? You won't see the problem if you just click on the Tab. You will need to select a view and click the Go button. Then, grab a corner of the window and drag it to a new size. It takes an incredibly long time for the contents of the window to redraw/update. 

I am using FF 3.6.2, but have confirmed that it is an issue with FF 3.5.8, as well as IE. It happens with both the old and new UIs in Salesforce.

I have no idea when this started happening. We just stumbled upon it recently.

If I get others to confirm that it is indeed a problem, then I will submit a case for it. Thanks!

• April 02, 2010

We have a page with a dataTable that can hold up to 1000 items (for user experience purposes, pagination is not really an option). We also have the standard onrowmouseover and onrowmouseout settings to invoke the standard highlighting of a row to designate the current selection.

With the new UI that has arrived as part of Spring '10, we are seeing horrific performance results when the dataTable has a larger number of items in it (> 200 or so). If you mouse over and off a row, the highlighting takes forever to appear and lags WAY behind the mouse movement. The old UI did not have this problem. 

Has anyone else seen the same thing?

We have had to update our VF component to dynamically turn off the highlighting based on the number of items in the table, but we hope that is only a temporary solution.

• March 10, 2010

We have a managed extension package that has been available on the AppExchange for over 3 years. We are in the process of finalizing an updated version to our extension so we have been actively testing the install and uninstall process within a variety of development orgs. The new version of our package is still set as 'beta'. We have encountered a problem in 2 separate orgs which seem to have only started to occur since the Spring 13 release (we have sucessfully completed the exact same install/uninstall testing on many upgrades in the past with no issues whatsoever). Note: no major components, pages, etc. were added as part of this new version.

Here is the scenario:

1. Install the beta version of our extension package into a Spring 13 org.

2. Uninstall the beta version of our extension package.

3. Attempt to reinstall the beta version - OR any previous version (including release versions that have been working fine for years) - and receive the very cryptic error message that the install failed with an even more cryptic error code.

We created a case and fortunately they were able to provide some additional error log information. The log information implies that certain components included in our package are 'duplicates'. This makes us believe that the previous uninstall did not completely remove some of the items in our package - namely, 2 custom fields that are included in the package. We have NEVER had this issue before and believe me, we have tested our install/uninstall process hundreds of times. The initial install worked fine - it just fails after an uninstall and a re-install.

I am posting this on the discussion boards because i am not sure how much support i will get from salesforce.com.

Has anyone else encountered this situation? If so, please speak up. Maybe we can collectively work together to get the attention of the salesforce support team - beyond just first level support.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

• February 09, 2013

So, I believe i have found what appears to be a bug with the new Dynamic Visualforce Binding. I created a case with all the information, but unfortunately since i don't have 'premier' status, Salesforce will not even take a look at the issue. Therefore, I am reaching out to my awesome force.com developers out there to see if anyone else has encountered something similar. Maybe i will get lucky and find someone with 'premier' status to help out.

Here's the situation: I have built a Visualforce page with a component that contains an apex:datatable. As part of the datatable definition, I have a set of dynamically defined columns. In each column i have an apex:outputField that uses Dynamic Visualforce Binding to specify the value:

<apex:outputField value="{!pos.Obj[col.FieldName]}" />
    where 'pos.Obj' represents the row object and
    'col.FieldName' represents the API name for the associated field.

If the FieldName is a field directly on the object (example: FirstName), everything works fine in all situations.

If the FieldName is a field from a referenced field on the object (example: Owner.FirstName or ReportsTo.Email), then salesforce will throw an 'Insufficient Privileges' error if there are records in the list where the referenced item is null. If all records in the list have a value in the referenced field, then the list displays correctly.

To illustrate: if the FieldName is 'ReportsTo.Email', then if all Contacts in the results list have a value in the ReportsTo field, the page displays correctly.

If any one of the Contacts in the results list has a null value in the ReportsTo field, then the page displays an 'Insufficient Privileges' error.

Seems to me they have an issue binding to field values on a referenced object when that referenced object happens to be null for a particular record.

Thanks in advance for any help/assistance you can provide.

• July 14, 2012

I am trying to create a custom header for the partner portal.

I created an html with the following contect:

<div> this is the header </div>

I created a salesforce.com document for this html file.

On the partner portal settings page I change the 'Header' to the document created in the previous step.

When I log into the partner portal I get this at the top of my page:

<div>

this is the header

</div>

For some reason it's not interpreting the html code.  I tried adding doc type but no luck.  I have looked at examples and they look exactly the same as mine.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Michael

I wasn't sure which topic I should submit this issue, but since there have been recent posts about performance in the Visualforce Development category, I am entering the post here. However, the issue appears on the standard tab pages with no custom development code involved.

Has anyone seen a huge performance degradation when resizing the Salesforce window when viewing information on the standard tabs like Accounts, Leads, Contacts, etc.? You won't see the problem if you just click on the Tab. You will need to select a view and click the Go button. Then, grab a corner of the window and drag it to a new size. It takes an incredibly long time for the contents of the window to redraw/update. 

I am using FF 3.6.2, but have confirmed that it is an issue with FF 3.5.8, as well as IE. It happens with both the old and new UIs in Salesforce.

I have no idea when this started happening. We just stumbled upon it recently.

If I get others to confirm that it is indeed a problem, then I will submit a case for it. Thanks!

• April 02, 2010

We have a page with a dataTable that can hold up to 1000 items (for user experience purposes, pagination is not really an option). We also have the standard onrowmouseover and onrowmouseout settings to invoke the standard highlighting of a row to designate the current selection.

With the new UI that has arrived as part of Spring '10, we are seeing horrific performance results when the dataTable has a larger number of items in it (> 200 or so). If you mouse over and off a row, the highlighting takes forever to appear and lags WAY behind the mouse movement. The old UI did not have this problem. 

Has anyone else seen the same thing?

We have had to update our VF component to dynamically turn off the highlighting based on the number of items in the table, but we hope that is only a temporary solution.

• March 10, 2010

There appears to be an issue that has always been present but it is now coming to light with the new user interface. If you are using the new ui, have a large picklist, perform a rerender, and are using Firefox 3 the panel that is being rerendered flashes blue. I did some quick testing with the old UI and this behavior is there but the panel flashes white and is barely noticeable. The new bright blue background is obnoxiously apparent with the new ui.

What is quite bizarre is that if the picklist has a selected value that is less than 20 you will not see the behavior. Perhaps this is Firefox's fault but I would think there is someway to prevent the bright blue flash by updated the CSS or javascript that performs the rerender. Below is the code to reproduce and there is also a video that shows how annoying this can be from a user experience perspective.

<apex:page controller="rerenderFlash" >
<apex:form >
<apex:pageBlock id="block">

<apex:pageBlockButtons >
<apex:commandButton value="Rerender" rerender="block" />
</apex:pageBlockButtons>

<apex:pageBlockSection >
<apex:selectList value="{!selectedValue}" size="1" id="number" >
<apex:selectOptions value="{!options}" />
</apex:selectList>
</apex:pageBlockSection>

</apex:pageBlock>
</apex:form>
</apex:page>

public class rerenderFlash {

public List<SelectOption> options {get; set;}
public string selectedValue {get; set;}

public rerenderFlash(){
options = new List<SelectOption>();
for(Integer i = 0; i < 100; i++){
options.add(new selectOption(String.valueOf(i),String.valueOf(i)));
}
selectedValue = '90';
}

Video: http://vimeo.com/10013511

Message Edited by TehNrd on 03-08-2010 12:58 PM
  • March 08, 2010

Have a tabbed account setup that loads numerous custom related lists - and this of course impacts load-time performance significantly (open opportunities list, closed opportunities list, our assets, competitors assets, etc.).  These are each located within their own tabpanels, then their own tab, and finally a form with VF to display.  The current controller loads all lists when the VF page loads - so I am frequently waiting for 15-20+ seconds for the page to display.

In trying to reduce initial load times I am trying to find a means of only loading the list and rendering the form when the user selects the tabPanel or when the individual tab beneath the panel, or the form beneath the tab comes into focus.  So far, numerous attempts to have the actionSupport action fire are not working.  The action method isn't getting called. 

Any ideas on where I have gone wrong?

<apex:tab label="Contacts" name="Contacts" id="tabContacts"> <apex:tabPanel switchType="client" id="tTbPnlCont" > <apex:tab label="Contact" name="Contact" id="tabContact"> <apex:form id="actConForm" > <apex:actionSupport event="onfocus" focus="actConForm" action="{!loadActiveContacts}" rerender="actConForm" status="actconstat"/> <apex:actionStatus id="actconstat" startText="Retrieving contacts" stopText=""/> <apex:pageblock id="ActContacts" title="Active Contacts" > <apex:pageBlockButtons > <apex:pageBlockTable id="ActCont" value="{!ActiveContact}" var="o" rendered="{!IF(activeContactFlag=True,true,false)}"> The Controller action method excerpt List<Contact> ActiveContact = null; Private Boolean activeContactFlag = False; public boolean getactiveContactFlag() { return activeContactFlag; } // // loadActiveContacts does not get executed per debug log // public PageReference loadActiveContacts() { system.debug('DEBUG: getActiveContacts called'); List<Contact> con = getActiveContact(); return null; } // // The code below works fine when referenced in VF pageBlockTable // without the render="{!IF(activeContactFlag=True,true,false)}" // public List<Contact> getActiveContact() { if(ActiveContact == null) { sortExpression = 'name'; sorterActiveContacts.originalList = [Select LastName,FirstName,email from Contact where AccountId = :acct.id and Inactive_contact__c = False ORDER BY LastName,FirstName LIMIT 1000]; ActiveContact = (List<Contact>) sorterActiveContacts.getSortedList(sortExpression, sortAscending); activeContactFlag = True; } return ActiveContact; }