• 0 Points
  • Member since 2010

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

I'm still getting an error when I try to sync with SF3 (see postscript).  Rather than changing the SF3 application, it seems that it would be easier for me to change my own data.  But I don't have enough information to determine which data contains the offending character that triggers the error and failure.

Any ideas?

For instance:

1. Can I turn on a debugging message to show the XML hierarchy at the time of error?  If so, I may be able to determine the direction of the error (SF->Mac or Mac->SF), and the context (i.e. Contact or Task), and the particulars (e.g. the Contact name, Account name, or Task subject).

2. Can I capture the (possibly incomplete) XML for analysis in a text editor?

3. Can I enable more informative status messages so that I can see what passed before the error message?

4. Can I specify a one-way-only merge to determine if one direction fails, thus implicating the other direction?

5. Can I specify a subset to merge (say all Contacts with last name beginning with A-M (then A-F, G-M, then A-C, C-F, G-J, K-M, etc... ) until I can do a binary search for the bad contact?

6. ... anything else that turns this "black box" (a tool with only an external interface) into a "white box" (a tool with an external interface, but also some internally visible probe points).

I'm currently stuck in an all-or-nothing situation, leaving me unable to use SF3.  I'd really like to clean up my data so that I can sync.

Thanks for any insights that may help me get on the "all" side of "all-or-nothing".

Thanks,

Michael

P.S.  The error messsage is: "An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x19) was found in the element content of the document."

I want my native address book and native calendar to do bi-directional sync with Salesforce.  If I were on a PC, I'd have it for free.  Since I'm on a Mac, I have to do a 2400% price upgrade.

Well, that's not entirely true.  If I wanted to take a huge step *backwards*, I could install Entourage, and my Mac, but who wants a PC-compatible Mac?  That's laughable, and the reason I left my PC. But if I did take that giant step backwards, I could get Mac bi-sync for native address book and calendar just like the PC folks do.

But Macs have such nice integration to their own address book and calendar that I didn't want to break that integration just to get a better SF integration, so I went searching around on the net.

And I found Riva Integration Server.  It comes in two flavors: server software for the big (or old school) folks who want to buy/install/maintain/own their own software, and SaaS for the little (or new school) for folks who just want to use it as a service.

Hallelujah.  I've seen the promised land.  I'll drink the SF cool-aid.  I've got religion.  I've heard that cloud computing is the wave of the future!  So I signed up for the service.  Yeah.  

Aside: Riva Integration Servier even has a compelling technical architecture.  It is *not* an integration to my applications (iCal and Mail.app), so I don't even need to install anything (i.e. infect my computer).  It integrates via a protocol over the network.  A very common protocol: Exchange Server.  Yes.  Macs now have Exchange Server (as of 10.6, Snow Leopard).  That means that I can use a native Mac program (iCal or Mail) tto access any Exchange Server application.  In general, that's likely to be a corporate mail server, but (drum roll please) in the case of Riva Integration Server (wait for it. wait for it.  big crecendo), it *looks* like it's a mail server, but it *acts* like (big bass drum crash here) a bridge to Salesforce.  Brilliant!  By integrating at the protocol layer instead of the application layer (anyone remember their ISO stacks), they've pulled a major coup d' etat!  The Riva product can work for any Exchange Server product, including old-fashioned MSFT stuff, or new-fashioned Mac stuff.  They can host it in the cloud.  I can subscribe to the service and be a happy bi-directional syncing camper.

But... hold onto your seats.

I found that SF blocks my Riva access because I'm just a little guy, and even though they like little guys to bi-sync their MSFT address and calendar, they don't allow little guys to bi-sync their Mac address and calendar.  Full disclosure: I'm blurring the technical facts and stating the end effect.  I'l get back to the technology in a while, but let's jump to the economics.

Here's what I wanted:
  Salesforce Contact Manger: $5/month
  Riva Live Integration Server: $10/month

Here's what I have to do to get bi-sync integration:
  Salesforce Enterprise: $125/month

Yup.  In order to integrate to native Mac address and calendar, I have to upgrade by 3 levels, skipping Group and Professional, and going directly to Enterprise, one level shy of Unlimited.  That's an insideous Mac integration surcharge for something that comes (albeit not so elegantly) for free with PCs!

So I called Salesforce, and heard (in effect):  "We can't let you use the Riva integration to bi-sync your address book and calendar because that would be giving away the whole API".

BUT..... I don't want the whole API.  I just want to bi-sync integration for my address and calendar, like the Microsofties do.  I just want a little, itty-bitty, tinsy-winsy hole through it to sync my address and calendar.  So I asked my Account Executive if she could flip the API bit, not for the full-blown API, but just for Riva Live Integration Server.

No dice.  No way.  No can do.  No way around it.  Pony up 25X (or at least 5X) your monthly investment, and you can have it for free.  :-0  

So.... I'm bummed.

$5 (or $25) Salesforce is the right size for me
$10 Riva Live bridge is the right size for me

It "feels" like there should be a way to make that work.

But.... SF can't (or won't) support this.

So.... If you're on a Mac, and you want native support for address book and calendar apps, there is still no solution.

THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO INTEGRATE NATIVE MAC ADDRESS BOOK AND CALENDAR APPLICATIONS WITH SALESFORCE!!!
THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO INTEGRATE NATIVE MAC ADDRESS BOOK AND CALENDAR APPLICATIONS WITH SALESFORCE!!!

Gee, it sure would be nice to have it as good as the MSFT folks have it.  ;-)

Salesforce product managers?  Anyone listening?  You don't need to develop this bi-sync integration:  Omni Technology has already done it for you.  You just need to live-and-let-live, and let SF and Mac live in harmony.  

Please?!

How can I debug which contact contains this character and eliminate it?  It's an ASCII 'em', a Control-Y.  It probably got in a contact via a cut/paste.  I don't care about keeping it as much as I care about SF3 working.

How can I modify the SF3 code to encode this correctly so that I (and others) don't get this error again?

It appears that SF3 maintenance is non existant.  Is there a way for that to get resurected?  Anyone want to join me?

I really, *really*, REALLY, *REALLY* want to sync my SF account with my Mac iCal and Address Book.

I want my native address book and native calendar to do bi-directional sync with Salesforce.  If I were on a PC, I'd have it for free.  Since I'm on a Mac, I have to do a 2400% price upgrade.

Well, that's not entirely true.  If I wanted to take a huge step *backwards*, I could install Entourage, and my Mac, but who wants a PC-compatible Mac?  That's laughable, and the reason I left my PC. But if I did take that giant step backwards, I could get Mac bi-sync for native address book and calendar just like the PC folks do.

But Macs have such nice integration to their own address book and calendar that I didn't want to break that integration just to get a better SF integration, so I went searching around on the net.

And I found Riva Integration Server.  It comes in two flavors: server software for the big (or old school) folks who want to buy/install/maintain/own their own software, and SaaS for the little (or new school) for folks who just want to use it as a service.

Hallelujah.  I've seen the promised land.  I'll drink the SF cool-aid.  I've got religion.  I've heard that cloud computing is the wave of the future!  So I signed up for the service.  Yeah.  

Aside: Riva Integration Servier even has a compelling technical architecture.  It is *not* an integration to my applications (iCal and Mail.app), so I don't even need to install anything (i.e. infect my computer).  It integrates via a protocol over the network.  A very common protocol: Exchange Server.  Yes.  Macs now have Exchange Server (as of 10.6, Snow Leopard).  That means that I can use a native Mac program (iCal or Mail) tto access any Exchange Server application.  In general, that's likely to be a corporate mail server, but (drum roll please) in the case of Riva Integration Server (wait for it. wait for it.  big crecendo), it *looks* like it's a mail server, but it *acts* like (big bass drum crash here) a bridge to Salesforce.  Brilliant!  By integrating at the protocol layer instead of the application layer (anyone remember their ISO stacks), they've pulled a major coup d' etat!  The Riva product can work for any Exchange Server product, including old-fashioned MSFT stuff, or new-fashioned Mac stuff.  They can host it in the cloud.  I can subscribe to the service and be a happy bi-directional syncing camper.

But... hold onto your seats.

I found that SF blocks my Riva access because I'm just a little guy, and even though they like little guys to bi-sync their MSFT address and calendar, they don't allow little guys to bi-sync their Mac address and calendar.  Full disclosure: I'm blurring the technical facts and stating the end effect.  I'l get back to the technology in a while, but let's jump to the economics.

Here's what I wanted:
  Salesforce Contact Manger: $5/month

Here's what I have to do to get bi-sync integration:
  Salesforce Enterprise: $125/month

Yup.  In order to integrate to native Mac address and calendar, I have to upgrade by 3 levels, skipping Group and Professional, and going directly to Enterprise, one level shy of Unlimited.  That's an insideous Mac integration surcharge for something that comes (albeit not so elegantly) for free with PCs!

So I called Salesforce, and heard (in effect):  "We can't let you use the Riva integration to bi-sync your address book and calendar because that would be giving away the whole API".

BUT..... I don't want the whole API.  I just want to bi-sync integration for my address and calendar, like the Microsofties do.  I just want a little, itty-bitty, tinsy-winsy hole through it to sync my address and calendar.  So I asked my Account Executive if she could flip the API bit, not for the full-blown API, but just for Riva Live Integration Server.

No dice.  No way.  No can do.  No way around it.  Pony up 25X (or at least 5X) your monthly investment, and you can have it for free.  :-0  

So.... I'm bummed.

$5 (or $25) Salesforce is the right size for me
$10 Riva Live bridge is the right size for me

It "feels" like there should be a way to make that work.

But.... SF can't (or won't) support this.

So.... If you're on a Mac, and you want native support for address book and calendar apps, there is still no solution.

Gee, it sure would be nice to have it as good as the MSFT folks have it.  ;-)

Salesforce product managers?  Anyone listening?  You don't need to develop this bi-sync integration:  Omni Technology has already done it for you.  You just need to live-and-let-live, and let SF and Mac live in harmony.  

Please?!

How can I debug which contact contains this character and eliminate it?  It's an ASCII 'em', a Control-Y.  It probably got in a contact via a cut/paste.  I don't care about keeping it as much as I care about SF3 working.

How can I modify the SF3 code to encode this correctly so that I (and others) don't get this error again?

It appears that SF3 maintenance is non existant.  Is there a way for that to get resurected?  Anyone want to join me?

I really, *really*, REALLY, *REALLY* want to sync my SF account with my Mac iCal and Address Book.

Is there a reason that I can't get the "Do Not Call" field or the "Do Not Email" field to appear on a contact's display?
  • March 15, 2010