• 0 Points
  • Member since 2011

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

I have a lookup relation from "employee" to "department". "Department" has 2 field: AutoNumber field and a custom field (text field - "Department Name"). In the "employee" standard page layout I want to show "Department Name" against "department" field in "employee" object. But by default it shows the "Auto number". Is there a way to show "Department Name" here?

Is it a best practice in force.com to normalize data? Will there be disadvantages or complexities due to normalization?

For e.g. say I have a team object and under that employee object and employee object will have multiple child objects like employeeQulifications, employeeSkills, employeeRelationships, etc . Now is this a right way to do it? Or are there any alternatives?

If I do it like the way I have suggested and if I want to create a report type to query teams with all employee attributes (employeeQulifications, employeeSkills, etc) I wont be able to do that as you can select objects in the report type screen only vertically. For e.g I can select team, employee but after that I can select only one employees child object not all.

This is the summary of my example:

team - custom object

employee - custom object, have a lookup relation to employee

employeeQulifications - custom object, have a master detail relation to emploee

employeeSkills - custom object, have a master detail relation to emploee

employeeRelationships - custom object, have a master detail relation to emploee

Is this the correct way of defining object structure? As I have explained above this will have an impact on report types. Other option I can see to get fields of these employeeQulifications, employeeSkills, employeeRelationships is to link these again to employee as a lookup relation so that I can retrieve these from report type --> lookup fields from employee object. But is that a correct way? 

Since employeeQulifications, employeeSkills, employeeRelationships have multiple records for a single employee I have to put a master-detail record to employee from these objects. On the other hand since I can't get all these in a single report type only solution is again to put lookup fileld to employee from all these three objects. Is it correct to put links from both sides like that. I'm really confused about this.

What is the best method of designing a data model in force.com?

I'm developing an application in Google app engine. In this application if user logs in with gmail user credentials, application should access that logged in user's sales force account details (if logged in user has a salesforce account). I should be able to get account details (and any other details in force.com) and display them in Google app in a needed format. How can I do this? Is there a way to accomplish this buy using 'force.com for Google app engine' + SSO ?

• April 19, 2011

I'm developing an application in Google app engine. In this application if user logs in with gmail user credentials, application should access that logged in user's sales force account details (if logged in user has a salesforce account). I should be able to get account details (and any other details in force.com) and display them in Google app in a needed format. How can I do this? Is there a way to accomplish this buy using 'force.com for Google app engine' + SSO ?

• April 19, 2011

• April 19, 2011

Is it a best practice in force.com to normalize data? Will there be disadvantages or complexities due to normalization?

For e.g. say I have a team object and under that employee object and employee object will have multiple child objects like employeeQulifications, employeeSkills, employeeRelationships, etc . Now is this a right way to do it? Or are there any alternatives?

If I do it like the way I have suggested and if I want to create a report type to query teams with all employee attributes (employeeQulifications, employeeSkills, etc) I wont be able to do that as you can select objects in the report type screen only vertically. For e.g I can select team, employee but after that I can select only one employees child object not all.

This is the summary of my example:

team - custom object

employee - custom object, have a lookup relation to employee

employeeQulifications - custom object, have a master detail relation to emploee

employeeSkills - custom object, have a master detail relation to emploee

employeeRelationships - custom object, have a master detail relation to emploee

Is this the correct way of defining object structure? As I have explained above this will have an impact on report types. Other option I can see to get fields of these employeeQulifications, employeeSkills, employeeRelationships is to link these again to employee as a lookup relation so that I can retrieve these from report type --> lookup fields from employee object. But is that a correct way? 

Since employeeQulifications, employeeSkills, employeeRelationships have multiple records for a single employee I have to put a master-detail record to employee from these objects. On the other hand since I can't get all these in a single report type only solution is again to put lookup fileld to employee from all these three objects. Is it correct to put links from both sides like that. I'm really confused about this.

What is the best method of designing a data model in force.com?

As I've just blogged, we've just released Force.com for Google App Engine!

Force.com for Google App Engine is a Python library and test harness that lets you access the Force.com Web services API from within Google App Engine applications. Once it is installed in your Google App Engine application, that application can start to seamless make callouts to the Force.com Web services API. This API lets you query and manipulate data in your Force.com environment - effectively letting you tap into the Force.com platform from within the application.

So if you're looking at building consumer apps on Google App Engine, and want to connect 'em with your data on the Force.com platform, check out the library!

Jon