• 75 Points
  • Member since 2011

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

We want to get away from double entry of financial data, and since Quickbooks integrates well with nothing, we want to replace it wholesale. We need a simple application that will do Quote-to-cash, revenue recognition, billing and no other accounting function at all, so no GL AR, AP etc. Optional to calculate commission, but we would like some flexibility in billing options, annual, project-based, one-off, etc.

If you have successfully replaced Quickbooks with something that integrates with Salesforce, I would greatly like to know what you found and your experiences in using it.

Thanks greatly

What is the best way to create spreadheet-like data input functionality in a VForce page?  Can it even be done in VForce, or do i have to resort to something else (Java, .net, etc) and utilize the APIs?  ...and I really mean a true grid, not standard fields squished together with a line between the rows.  When my users are used to premise-based software and Excel spreadsheets, I feel I could get much faster adoption and satisfaction if I just used a real grid.

Back in the Summer '11 or Spring '11 release, JavaScript remoting became available, and the example given was "Google-style auto-compete fields" in a VForce page.  I thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and soon I would be converting every VForce page we had written and replacing standard lookup fields with the auto-complete fields.  i also expected to see tons of board activity about this topic;  however, I really never heard/saw that much about it afterwards. If I google it now, I get a few things, but not a lot.  When I ask a couple of my developers, sometimes its like I am the one telling them about it or they do not immediately jump all over the idea..

So my question is: does the javascript remoting work well for this type of custom field? I speaking of converting a standard lookups field on a vforce page so it behaves like an auto-complete field.   How is the speed...let's say we are hitting an object with 5,000 records or so?

We are building some adoption and usage dashboards, and we have the standard/popular dashboard items such as: New Accounts Created By User, New Contacts Created By User, Closed Activities, etc.  The requirement is to show ALL Users, not just users with records in these dashboard items.  So basically we want the zero's to show up.  Also, we want to use on a dashboard with filters on it.

Long ago, I started creating a number field strictly for reporting, and setting the default value to "1", then report off of that field instead of the record count field.  This seems to work in most, if not all scenarios, but is a little bit of a pain to set up between the custom report type for each object were reporting on, plus creating the custom field, then back-filling existing records via data loader.  

WIth improvements in reporting and analytics, does anyone have a better method to do what I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance!

I am trying to get my clients to a shared calendar and a task list view faster than going thru the home page.

Is there a way to display this info in a custom tab WITHOUT displaying the entire page?  Meaning, when I create the URL for the tab, I get the entire screen re-displayed...including the top of standard SDFC screen along with and all the tabs.  I just want the calendar and/or enhanced list component showing...not all the tabs repeated again.

Is there a way to do this?  ....or do I have do a custom component or page?

Thanks!

What's the easiest (or best) way to change the order of Milestones or Tasks displayed in the Gantt?  I can live with an alphabetical order for a little while, but when I have 20 or so Milestones, then I need to add one at line 12 (for example), it can become a bear to edit all Milestones after that one. just to make it sort properly.

I'm sure someone has already tackled this one...just wondering the best way to do it.  

I was about to customize a couple of objects from Milestones PM.  We want to add some custom fields and few record types & page layouts.  For example, we kinda use Projects like Opportunities and we are going to add a picklist field called Project Status.  

My question is: What am I getting into my messing with these objects?

I was troubleshooting some dashboard visibility issues in an Force.com edition and I came across this statement in Help & Training that confused me:

Note:

"Users with a Salesforce Platform or Salesforce Platform One user license can only view a dashboard if the dashboard running user also has the same license type. Consider creating separate dashboards for users with different license types."

So if an org has 1 Admin license and that Admin is the primary person that builds report and dashboards for the broader user group, does that mean they can NEVER be the running user and it ALWAYS has to be someone else?  Also, if a manager has a full platform license, and writes reports for his staff, who are on 1-App, the manager can't be the running user?  

This seems a little cumbersome, but am I interpreting this correctly?

I've backed myself into a corner here so I am hoping someone can help!  

I was using the Data Loader to mass update some fields on our Events.  I ran into a problem for events that were Private, so I thought "No worries, I'll just mass change them to Private=FALSE, make the changes I need, then mark it back to Private=TRUE."  Well, it let me change from TRUE to FALSE, but would not let me change it back.  ...but I had a plan there too:  I would change the owner to me, then mark Private=TRUE, then change the owner back to the orginal.  It was genius, but alas, it did not work!  Once I marked the Event private, it would not let me change the owner back to the original owner.  So now, the Events ARE private, but they are assigned to me

The good news, is that almost all of these events belong to 1 person...the bad news is that that person is the boss!

So, does anybody know a way around this little problem?

I have a custom button to a report, and I would like to put a parameter in the formula for the link.

Use case: I have a page called Resource, with a child object call Time Logs.  On the Resource detail page, I have a button called "Run Time Log Report".  I would like to point that button to single report, but have it run only for the Resource of the page I am on.

Is this possible, or do I have to create a report for each Resource, then use that URL behind the button?

I am needing to create a VF page to help speed up data entry into a related list.  This particular related list hangs off a custom object and it often has 3-5 entries per 'master' record.  The users want a way to enter the data for all 3-5 entries on one screen and SAVE once, instead of the standard UI way of ADD NEW..., enter data, SAVE...then repeating 5 times (even if they are able to clone sometimes.

Now for the possibly tricky part..this is in GROUP EDITION (GE)!

1) Is this possible without a trigger of any kind?  I'm assuming if I can do it without a trigger, and stick with standard components, actions, etc, I could do it in GE?  I'm asking because I feel it is risky to do anything but the very simple in GE, because you never know when you are going to hit a GE roadblock and stop you in your tracks!

I was trying to build a weekly report of of completed activities.  I want to know WHEN the status was changed to Completed.  When I went in to create a new report, History was no whereto be found.  So I thought History Tracking was not turned on on the Activity object, but when I went to check, I found that it was not an option.  No worries, I thought I would just go in and create a new report type to solve the problem, but can't seem to do it there either.  

Any advice here?  Again, I'm not looking for a simple list of completed activities, I'm looking for the date that represetns WHEN the status was changed to Completed.  I think on a custom object, I would just turn history on and report against those records, but having problems doing that on the Activity object.

TB

Can I modify the page layout to include Account when hitting the NEW button following a lookup search?  I cant find it anywhere.

Scenario - I have a lookup field to Contacts on a custom object.  I enter the 1st part of a name and hit the lookup/magnifying glass to see if locates a match.  It does not, so I hit NEW.  That opens up a window similar to a mini page view...but Account is not on it.  

Can I modify this layout to include Account?  If so, where?  If not, any other (simple) suggestions?

Thanks!

Does anybody know what an "ISV Portal" is?  

My generic question is around reporting in SFDC on things that are NOT there.  I was trying to write a report a while back to identify Accounts without any open (or completed for that matter) Activities.  The intent was to create a Dashboard component called "Top 10 Neglected Accounts".  I had no problem creating a new report type, then writing a report with Accounts and Subjects and simply looking at it with my eyeballs.  If I saw blank rows in the Subject column, I had my answer.  I thought I was on the right track and was headed down the path of just counting records under each Account.  Well, that would not work as it (correctly) would show 1 record for Accounts that had 1 or 0 activities....and I just need the 0's.

I probably got going down the wrong path way upstream here.  Does anyone know that right way to do something like this?

Thanks in advance!

(I don't necessarily agree with this, but here we go....)

At the end-user request, I am trying to figure out a way to post Activities to Chatter.  I'm not sure I can do it without code....and if I can do it without code, I'm really not sure I can do it without EE (we are on PE).  They want to be able to click on the task and be taken directly to the task (not just the Account page)

Possible approaches I have thought about (but not sure if any of them will work):

1. A checkbox field called "Post to Chatter?" on the Activity page layout.  When it is TRUE, that Task gets posted to Chatter under the Company.  This would allow the creator of the Task to determine if it is "Chatter Worthy" on a case-by-case basis.
  2. Another option I thought about was to auto-follow Tasks if the user is following the Company.  That knda sounds more complex and less flexible than the qst option.
  3. (This would work in PE, but really does not meet their requirements) create a roll-up summary field on Account objectt that counts tasks, and include that field in your Chatter feed.  That would increment and alert followers of a new task, but would give them no other information.  Kind of a poor-man's alternative.

Any ideas in this area would be helpful.  I'm also hitting the SE up, but this might fall more into developer territory.

Thanks in advance!

on the  needing to 

I have an easy one for you....I just created one my 1st VF pages, but when I tried to connect to a custom button, it does not show up in the "Content" picklist.  I bet it is something very basic that i am missing!

I have an Org where I need to undo People Accounts and go back to a more traditional method.

I was going to do this:

1) Use the data loader to update all records with a People record type to a 'regular' record type

2) Remove all mentions of people accounts in record type

3) Ensure all users default record type setting are updated

Does anyone know if this will work?  Is there a better way?

I want to make sure we the user leaves the Company field blank, it throws them an error message without saving the record instead of creating a People Account. 

I have a "financially sensitive" client undergoing a proof of concept project using Chatter Plus / Force.com E One-App.  In order to meet some of their requirements, I might need to re-create accts and contacts as custom objects since I can fit it within the 10 object/user limit (Accounts & Contacts are read-only in OneApp).  

I expect a few complications and challenges, but has anyone out there already tried this (working around the read-only by simply re-creating them as custom obljects) and can tell me what to expect?  I want to do it for them, but I also dont want to open up a can of worms that takes countless hours to back out of.

Any experience or other work-arounds are appreciated. 

I'm a complete newbie, so please bear with me. :)

I would like to have a field for Time on a custom object.  I noticed that there is a "Time" class in Apex, but I haven't seen anything about a "Time" field (only DateTime).  Ideally this field would behave like the Date/DateTime fields, and offer a pop-up for selecting a time value.  But more importantly, it should have built-in validation.

Does such a field type exist in Salesforce, or would I need to use a Text field with validation rules, and possibly VisualForce to create the "time selector"?

Is there a preferred method or best practice for dealing with Time-only values in Salesforce?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

• December 15, 2011

I was about to customize a couple of objects from Milestones PM.  We want to add some custom fields and few record types & page layouts.  For example, we kinda use Projects like Opportunities and we are going to add a picklist field called Project Status.  

My question is: What am I getting into my messing with these objects?

I've backed myself into a corner here so I am hoping someone can help!  

I was using the Data Loader to mass update some fields on our Events.  I ran into a problem for events that were Private, so I thought "No worries, I'll just mass change them to Private=FALSE, make the changes I need, then mark it back to Private=TRUE."  Well, it let me change from TRUE to FALSE, but would not let me change it back.  ...but I had a plan there too:  I would change the owner to me, then mark Private=TRUE, then change the owner back to the orginal.  It was genius, but alas, it did not work!  Once I marked the Event private, it would not let me change the owner back to the original owner.  So now, the Events ARE private, but they are assigned to me

The good news, is that almost all of these events belong to 1 person...the bad news is that that person is the boss!

So, does anybody know a way around this little problem?

I have a custom button to a report, and I would like to put a parameter in the formula for the link.

Use case: I have a page called Resource, with a child object call Time Logs.  On the Resource detail page, I have a button called "Run Time Log Report".  I would like to point that button to single report, but have it run only for the Resource of the page I am on.

Is this possible, or do I have to create a report for each Resource, then use that URL behind the button?

I am needing to create a VF page to help speed up data entry into a related list.  This particular related list hangs off a custom object and it often has 3-5 entries per 'master' record.  The users want a way to enter the data for all 3-5 entries on one screen and SAVE once, instead of the standard UI way of ADD NEW..., enter data, SAVE...then repeating 5 times (even if they are able to clone sometimes.

Now for the possibly tricky part..this is in GROUP EDITION (GE)!

1) Is this possible without a trigger of any kind?  I'm assuming if I can do it without a trigger, and stick with standard components, actions, etc, I could do it in GE?  I'm asking because I feel it is risky to do anything but the very simple in GE, because you never know when you are going to hit a GE roadblock and stop you in your tracks!

I was trying to build a weekly report of of completed activities.  I want to know WHEN the status was changed to Completed.  When I went in to create a new report, History was no whereto be found.  So I thought History Tracking was not turned on on the Activity object, but when I went to check, I found that it was not an option.  No worries, I thought I would just go in and create a new report type to solve the problem, but can't seem to do it there either.  

Any advice here?  Again, I'm not looking for a simple list of completed activities, I'm looking for the date that represetns WHEN the status was changed to Completed.  I think on a custom object, I would just turn history on and report against those records, but having problems doing that on the Activity object.

TB

We want to get away from double entry of financial data, and since Quickbooks integrates well with nothing, we want to replace it wholesale. We need a simple application that will do Quote-to-cash, revenue recognition, billing and no other accounting function at all, so no GL AR, AP etc. Optional to calculate commission, but we would like some flexibility in billing options, annual, project-based, one-off, etc.

If you have successfully replaced Quickbooks with something that integrates with Salesforce, I would greatly like to know what you found and your experiences in using it.

Thanks greatly

Can I modify the page layout to include Account when hitting the NEW button following a lookup search?  I cant find it anywhere.

Scenario - I have a lookup field to Contacts on a custom object.  I enter the 1st part of a name and hit the lookup/magnifying glass to see if locates a match.  It does not, so I hit NEW.  That opens up a window similar to a mini page view...but Account is not on it.  

Can I modify this layout to include Account?  If so, where?  If not, any other (simple) suggestions?

Thanks!

My generic question is around reporting in SFDC on things that are NOT there.  I was trying to write a report a while back to identify Accounts without any open (or completed for that matter) Activities.  The intent was to create a Dashboard component called "Top 10 Neglected Accounts".  I had no problem creating a new report type, then writing a report with Accounts and Subjects and simply looking at it with my eyeballs.  If I saw blank rows in the Subject column, I had my answer.  I thought I was on the right track and was headed down the path of just counting records under each Account.  Well, that would not work as it (correctly) would show 1 record for Accounts that had 1 or 0 activities....and I just need the 0's.

I probably got going down the wrong path way upstream here.  Does anyone know that right way to do something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi 

I need a clarification on chatter plus .
I would like to see all chatter plus (account users) in lookup  field which held in custom object or standard object.Is it possible ? if possible then How?
Please Help Me In This Area.
thank you in advance
rajesh

Hi, I need to provide a search feature over some chatter generated data.

I need to choose the author of the post, so I placed a lookUp to the User object, but I don't seem to be able to list any of the ChatterFree users I have created.

I think the reason why user's with this profile aren't showing up is because they can relate only to a few objects in the org - FeedItem and other chatter related objects.

So, my question is how could I select a ChatterFree user in a "standard way", from a lookUp field in a visualforce page.

thanks in advance

Hi

We have developed a managed package and it is linked to salesforce LMA for managing licenses.

There is an option in Appexchange to provide a trail version or make the license active.

How can we make this license free for some customers??

Thanks!

Hi,

Is it possible to build reports on activity history of standard and custom objects.

My requirement is we have to build a audit trail/activity history of different objects and build a report on them .

I can export the activity history of different objects using dataloader as a work wround i am thinking of writing batch classes and dump this data into a custon object so we can build a report of it.

but its gonna be a tremendous process.

any body have any insight or experiance with this kind of requirement

• October 07, 2011

(I don't necessarily agree with this, but here we go....)

At the end-user request, I am trying to figure out a way to post Activities to Chatter.  I'm not sure I can do it without code....and if I can do it without code, I'm really not sure I can do it without EE (we are on PE).  They want to be able to click on the task and be taken directly to the task (not just the Account page)

Possible approaches I have thought about (but not sure if any of them will work):

1. A checkbox field called "Post to Chatter?" on the Activity page layout.  When it is TRUE, that Task gets posted to Chatter under the Company.  This would allow the creator of the Task to determine if it is "Chatter Worthy" on a case-by-case basis.
  2. Another option I thought about was to auto-follow Tasks if the user is following the Company.  That knda sounds more complex and less flexible than the qst option.
  3. (This would work in PE, but really does not meet their requirements) create a roll-up summary field on Account objectt that counts tasks, and include that field in your Chatter feed.  That would increment and alert followers of a new task, but would give them no other information.  Kind of a poor-man's alternative.

Any ideas in this area would be helpful.  I'm also hitting the SE up, but this might fall more into developer territory.

Thanks in advance!

on the  needing to 

Hi Folks ,

I am using Auto complete functionality for lookup. It is working fine, but after selecting the searched dropdown list record value which event will fire? I used onchange function not working[if i use onpress or onclick it will not work because of i am disabling enter function through script(see below)]. Already i tried different events like onselect etc. with out using  Auto complete  Onchange function working fine . Using onchnage mehod i am getting some values from controller based on account lookup value.

<script>    function noenter(ev)   

{       

if (window.event && window.event.keyCode == 13 || ev.which == 13)       

{           

var ele=document.getElementById(cl);           

ele.click();           

return false;       

}       

else       

{           

return true;       

}   

}

</script>

<apex:inputField value="{!m.Account__c}" onkeypress="return noenter(event);" onchange="test()" id="acc">                  

<c:autoCompleteController objectname="Account" additionalfield="TickerSymbol" autocomplete_textbox="{!$Component.acc}" />        

<apex:actionFunction name="test" action="{!sample}" reRender="pb1">         

<apex:param value="{!m.Account__c}" name="ac"/>       

</apex:actionFunction>   

</apex:inputfield>

plase suggest on this..........................................................................

thanks 

krish

I have a "financially sensitive" client undergoing a proof of concept project using Chatter Plus / Force.com E One-App.  In order to meet some of their requirements, I might need to re-create accts and contacts as custom objects since I can fit it within the 10 object/user limit (Accounts & Contacts are read-only in OneApp).  

I expect a few complications and challenges, but has anyone out there already tried this (working around the read-only by simply re-creating them as custom obljects) and can tell me what to expect?  I want to do it for them, but I also dont want to open up a can of worms that takes countless hours to back out of.

Any experience or other work-arounds are appreciated.