• 5 Points
  • Member since 2012

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Is it possible to modify/update the currently-viewed object via a Visualforce page on a standard object's layout in "real-time"?

Example: I have a small Visualforce component on my Account page layout.  When I interact with the Visualforce component (which has an Apex controller to save changes to the Account object), I would like those changes to be reflected on the non-VF items on the page without a page refresh.  In my case, I just need a check-box to be flipped depending on what happened within the VF component.  Is this possible?

• March 12, 2013

I am trying to transfer Chatter posts from one instance to another.  I am running into problems moving attached files within comments (FeedComment items).

I realize that the files attach to comments via the RelatedRecordId (mapped to the ContentVersion object) and I am trying to transfer the file by:

1. Get the VersionData from the ContentVersion that is attached to the comment

2. Create the file on the destination environment by writing the file to disk locally and setting the VersionData, PathOnClient (linked to the file that was just created locally), Description, Title

3. Get the ID of the newly created ContentVersion object (returned by the SaveResult array)

4. Set the FeedComment's RelatedRecordID to the new ID created in step 3

5. Upload the comment

The result is the comment is created but the file is not found, resulting in "The file is no longer available.".  Am I missing a step in the file linking?

Note: My file creation process is similar to this - if there is a way to upload a ContentVersion file without creating it locally, I'd happily check that out.

• September 14, 2012

Is there a way to create (or maintain in my case) @mentions in Chatter API posts?  I am trying to transfer Chatter posts from one instance to another but the linked @mentions are no longer linked when the message is created via the API.  I would prefer not to alert the user being mentioned but maintaining link would be nice.

• September 11, 2012

I am using Java with the SOAP api to transfer Chatter records.  I cannot post messages to existing Chatter groups.

The code below is simple Java code that tries to create a new FeedItem, add it to a group and insert the record.  I have confirmed that the userID is correct, the groupId is correct AND the user belongs to the group.  The user account I am using to do the transfer has the "Manage Chatter Messages" enabled.  I am using API v 25.

Why is my attempt to post to a group failing?

The error message I get is: The Insert failed because: insufficient access rights on cross-reference id

String userID = "005E0000001JywAIAS";
		String groupId = "0F9E0000000Tp2mKAC";
		FeedItem newFeed = new FeedItem();
		Calendar greg = Calendar.getInstance();
		greg.add(Calendar.HOUR, -48);

//newFeed.setId(feed.getId());
		newFeed.setBody("Faked ITEM GROUP test");
		newFeed.setParentId(groupId);
		newFeed.setCreatedDate(greg);
		newFeed.setCreatedById(userID);

List<FeedItem> list = new ArrayList<FeedItem>();
		list.add(newFeed);
		loginCentral();
		SObject[] objs = new SObject[1];
		objs[0]=newFeed;
		uploadRecords(objs);

logout();

• September 08, 2012

I am trying to move all Chatter activity from one instance to another using the Chatter SOAP API.  I cannot find the SOQL query to grab the posts on the main Chatter page.  Is there a simple query to grab every post on the Chatter page?  If it has to be broken down by User or Group, that's fine.

Note: I can create all the required Groups.  I can get a list of all the users and map them over to the other instance.  I just can't get the actual posts from the Chatter page.

• September 04, 2012

I have to call a service to generate a text file.  When the text file is ready, I have to download the text file.  The text file is pushed as an HTTP download when the URL is used in a browser (I assume due to the content type of application/octet-stream).  The problem is that the Apex code breaks on the HTTP.send(), throwing "System.CalloutException: Premature EOF". 

Please note that if I call the URL (in Apex) before the file is ready, then I recieve the error message from the server properly (meaning the Apex does not crash and I can see the error message in the debug logs).  This suggests to me that I am making the call correctly.

Is there a way to download this file for in-memory processing in Apex?

• August 20, 2012

I'd like users to be able to share data (in custom fields within standard objects or in custom objects) with other users within groups they belong to but have that data hidden from users not in the group(s).  Is this possible?

Note: This should be dynamic such that it works for all groups, not just a single group.

If it is not possible with Groups, can it be accomplished with Roles or Profiles?

• August 02, 2012

For our Chatter pilot-program (short amount of time, limited number of users), we would like to be notified (via an email alert) whenever a message is posted and there is no follow-up messages to the original/parent message within 4 days.  Are time-based Workflow rules possible on Chatter feeds?

• July 18, 2012

I have a company that has as many as 20 different SalesForce orgs/instance, each with their own Chatter.  We are trying to do a merge into one singular org and would like to keep all past Chatter activity (posts, groups, files, follows, etc) from each of the other 20 old instances.  Is there a simple way to import (and merge) everything into a single org?  If there is no "easy" way to do this, is it possible to do it through the REST API (using a standard Java application)?

Notes/Constraints:

This is a one-time process - there is no need to check for duplicate messages

A user may exist on multiple orgs and the user on the master org should have all Chatter-related data from their other accounts

A user will be identified by their email address

All files hosted within each Chatter instance should be moved over to the master instance.

Data Export does not appear to be the way to go since it appears to match on internal IDs rather than the email address field we have to match on

The migration tool appears to be mainly for migrating data from Dev to Prod - if this is the correct tool for this task, I'll take another look at it.  It would have to be smart enough to match Chatter activity based on the email, though.

• July 17, 2012

I have the requirement to disable most users (all users within a custom Profile) from being able to update their own profile - we will be importing that data from another, master source.  Is this possible?

• June 27, 2012

I am trying to transfer Chatter posts from one instance to another.  I am running into problems moving attached files within comments (FeedComment items).

I realize that the files attach to comments via the RelatedRecordId (mapped to the ContentVersion object) and I am trying to transfer the file by:

1. Get the VersionData from the ContentVersion that is attached to the comment

2. Create the file on the destination environment by writing the file to disk locally and setting the VersionData, PathOnClient (linked to the file that was just created locally), Description, Title

3. Get the ID of the newly created ContentVersion object (returned by the SaveResult array)

4. Set the FeedComment's RelatedRecordID to the new ID created in step 3

5. Upload the comment

The result is the comment is created but the file is not found, resulting in "The file is no longer available.".  Am I missing a step in the file linking?

Note: My file creation process is similar to this - if there is a way to upload a ContentVersion file without creating it locally, I'd happily check that out.

• September 14, 2012

I am trying to move all Chatter activity from one instance to another using the Chatter SOAP API.  I cannot find the SOQL query to grab the posts on the main Chatter page.  Is there a simple query to grab every post on the Chatter page?  If it has to be broken down by User or Group, that's fine.

Note: I can create all the required Groups.  I can get a list of all the users and map them over to the other instance.  I just can't get the actual posts from the Chatter page.

• September 04, 2012

I have to call a service to generate a text file.  When the text file is ready, I have to download the text file.  The text file is pushed as an HTTP download when the URL is used in a browser (I assume due to the content type of application/octet-stream).  The problem is that the Apex code breaks on the HTTP.send(), throwing "System.CalloutException: Premature EOF". 

Please note that if I call the URL (in Apex) before the file is ready, then I recieve the error message from the server properly (meaning the Apex does not crash and I can see the error message in the debug logs).  This suggests to me that I am making the call correctly.

Is there a way to download this file for in-memory processing in Apex?

• August 20, 2012

I have a company that has as many as 20 different SalesForce orgs/instance, each with their own Chatter.  We are trying to do a merge into one singular org and would like to keep all past Chatter activity (posts, groups, files, follows, etc) from each of the other 20 old instances.  Is there a simple way to import (and merge) everything into a single org?  If there is no "easy" way to do this, is it possible to do it through the REST API (using a standard Java application)?

Notes/Constraints:

This is a one-time process - there is no need to check for duplicate messages

A user may exist on multiple orgs and the user on the master org should have all Chatter-related data from their other accounts

A user will be identified by their email address

All files hosted within each Chatter instance should be moved over to the master instance.

Data Export does not appear to be the way to go since it appears to match on internal IDs rather than the email address field we have to match on

The migration tool appears to be mainly for migrating data from Dev to Prod - if this is the correct tool for this task, I'll take another look at it.  It would have to be smart enough to match Chatter activity based on the email, though.

• July 17, 2012

I have the requirement to disable most users (all users within a custom Profile) from being able to update their own profile - we will be importing that data from another, master source.  Is this possible?

• June 27, 2012