• Member since 2013

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hi all,

We've used the open source chart.js to implement our charts in lightning components but we've noticed that if the chart's data set changes, e.g. a picklist that the user can select a different value from which generates a different data set for the chart, the chart flickers between the old & new values when the mouse moves over it.
Looking around the web the solution from Chart.js is to keep a global variable in the javascript which holds the chart object when it is created & then destroy that chart object before re-creating a new one (see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28609932/chartjs-resizing-very-quickly-flickering-on-mouseover). However I don't think that mechanism is possible from within a lightning component, but I may be wrong. Any suggestions?

Here's a working example of the problem. After the chart is displayed if you check the checkbox, new data will appear in the chart.  If you then move the mouse over the chart it will toggle between the old & new chart at certain positions. Obviously in real component I'd be calling an apex controller etc. but I thought a simplified version would be easier to understand.  For it to work you'll need to create a static resource called Chart that contains the Chart.js from http://www.chartjs.org/

(AndeeChart.cmp)
<aura:component implements="flexipage:availableForAllPageTypes" access="global">
<ltng:require scripts="{!$Resource.Chart}" afterScriptsLoaded="{!c.init}"/>

<aura:attribute name="dataset" type="String" default="1"  description="Which set of data to display in the chart.  Will be either 1 or 2"/>

<div class="slds-grid slds-wrap">
    <div class="slds-col slds-size--1-of-1 slds-small-size--1-of-2 slds-medium-size--1-of-4">
        <ui:inputCheckbox label="Toggle Data?" click="{!c.updateDataset}"/>

</div>
    <div class="slds-col slds-size--1-of-1 slds-small-size--1-of-2 slds-medium-size--3-of-4">
        Chart1<br></br>
        <canvas aura:id="andeeChart" id="andeeChart123"/>
    </div>

</div>
(AndeeChartController.js)
({
    init : function(component, event, helper) {
        helper.setupChart(component);
    },
    updateDataset : function(component, event, helper) {
        var dataset = component.get('v.dataset');
        if (dataset == '1'){
            dataset = '2';
        } else {
            dataset = '1';
        }
        component.set('v.dataset', dataset)
    } 
})

(AndeeChartHelper.js)
({
    setupChart  : function(component) {

// Normally call apex controller to get data but hardcoded for demonstration purposes
        var data;
        var jsonRetVal
        if (dataset == '1'){
            jsonRetVal = {"chartLabels":["Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"],"chartData":[1.00,3.00,6.00,10.00,15.00,21.00]}
        } else {
           jsonRetVal = {"chartLabels":["Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"],"chartData":[21.00,3.00,16.00,19.00,17.00,12.00]} 
        }

var el = component.find('andeeChart').getElement();
        var ctx = el.getContext('2d'); 

// Need something here to destroy any chart that is currently being displayed to stop the 'flicker'

new Chart(ctx, {
            type: 'bar',
            data: {
                labels: jsonRetVal.chartLabels,
                datasets: [
                    {
                        label: "Data",
                        fillColor: "rgba(220,220,220,1)",
                        strokeColor: "rgba(220,220,220,1)",                
                        data: jsonRetVal.chartData
                    }
                ]
            },
            options: {
                hover: {
                    mode: "none"
                },
                scales: {
                    yAxes: [{
                        ticks: {
                            beginAtZero:true
                        }
                    }]
                }
            }
        });

}
})

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer as this is driving me made.
Hi all,

As a noob I'm probably missing something but we have a Contact standard controller extension page which has the following section of code :-

<apex:pageBlockSectionItem >
                    <apex:outputLabel value="To Company" for="targetContact"/>
                    <apex:inputField value="{!targetContact.AccountId}" id="targetContact" onchange="reRenderForm();"/>
                </apex:pageBlockSectionItem>

The inputField uses the standard contact.Account lookup field & automatically causes a search button to appear on the VF page.  However when viewed through SF1 clicking the search button causes a browser page to be opened & the user is asked to login.  Can anybody suggest a way of keeping this process within SF1?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Stickleback
Hi.

I suspect the answer is no but I have a requirement to alter the behaviour of the Contact Search button that appears on the standard Events page so that it excludes contacts that have certain custom field values.  Is there a way of doing this without turning the standard Events page into a Visualforce page?  

I have found http://blog.jeffdouglas.com/2011/08/12/roll-your-own-salesforce-lookup-popup-window/ but this suggests that it won't work on a standard page.  It was written 4 years ago so things may have changed but knowing SF, probably not :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andee

Hi.  I have requirement to only allow certain Event Types to be used for certain type of contacts e.g. we have a custom field of is_prospect__c on Contact & if this is true we only want our users to be able to assign an Event Type of introductory Meeting whereas if it is false they can choose any of the other Event Types.

I thought at first I could use a trigger on the event but I've not been able to get that to work correctly - at the time the trigger fires SF only seems to have created the EventRelation row for the primary contact so my validation for the prospect contact is ignored.  

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Stickleback

Hi all,

We've used the open source chart.js to implement our charts in lightning components but we've noticed that if the chart's data set changes, e.g. a picklist that the user can select a different value from which generates a different data set for the chart, the chart flickers between the old & new values when the mouse moves over it.
Looking around the web the solution from Chart.js is to keep a global variable in the javascript which holds the chart object when it is created & then destroy that chart object before re-creating a new one (see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28609932/chartjs-resizing-very-quickly-flickering-on-mouseover). However I don't think that mechanism is possible from within a lightning component, but I may be wrong. Any suggestions?

Here's a working example of the problem. After the chart is displayed if you check the checkbox, new data will appear in the chart.  If you then move the mouse over the chart it will toggle between the old & new chart at certain positions. Obviously in real component I'd be calling an apex controller etc. but I thought a simplified version would be easier to understand.  For it to work you'll need to create a static resource called Chart that contains the Chart.js from http://www.chartjs.org/

(AndeeChart.cmp)
<aura:component implements="flexipage:availableForAllPageTypes" access="global">
<ltng:require scripts="{!$Resource.Chart}" afterScriptsLoaded="{!c.init}"/>

<aura:attribute name="dataset" type="String" default="1"  description="Which set of data to display in the chart.  Will be either 1 or 2"/>

<div class="slds-grid slds-wrap">
    <div class="slds-col slds-size--1-of-1 slds-small-size--1-of-2 slds-medium-size--1-of-4">
        <ui:inputCheckbox label="Toggle Data?" click="{!c.updateDataset}"/>

</div>
    <div class="slds-col slds-size--1-of-1 slds-small-size--1-of-2 slds-medium-size--3-of-4">
        Chart1<br></br>
        <canvas aura:id="andeeChart" id="andeeChart123"/>
    </div>

</div>
(AndeeChartController.js)
({
    init : function(component, event, helper) {
    },
    updateDataset : function(component, event, helper) {
        if (dataset == '1'){
            dataset = '2';
        } else {
            dataset = '1';
        }
        component.set('v.dataset', dataset)
    } 
})

(AndeeChartHelper.js)
({
    setupChart  : function(component) {

// Normally call apex controller to get data but hardcoded for demonstration purposes
        var data;
        var jsonRetVal
        if (dataset == '1'){
            jsonRetVal = {"chartLabels":["Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"],"chartData":[1.00,3.00,6.00,10.00,15.00,21.00]}
        } else {
           jsonRetVal = {"chartLabels":["Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"],"chartData":[21.00,3.00,16.00,19.00,17.00,12.00]} 
        }

var el = component.find('andeeChart').getElement();
        var ctx = el.getContext('2d'); 

// Need something here to destroy any chart that is currently being displayed to stop the 'flicker'

new Chart(ctx, {
            type: 'bar',
            data: {
                labels: jsonRetVal.chartLabels,
                datasets: [
                    {
                        label: "Data",
                        fillColor: "rgba(220,220,220,1)",
                        strokeColor: "rgba(220,220,220,1)",                
                        data: jsonRetVal.chartData
                    }
                ]
            },
            options: {
                hover: {
                    mode: "none"
                },
                scales: {
                    yAxes: [{
                        ticks: {
                            beginAtZero:true
                        }
                    }]
                }
            }
        });

}
})

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer as this is driving me made.
Hi all,

As a noob I'm probably missing something but we have a Contact standard controller extension page which has the following section of code :-

<apex:pageBlockSectionItem >
                    <apex:outputLabel value="To Company" for="targetContact"/>
                    <apex:inputField value="{!targetContact.AccountId}" id="targetContact" onchange="reRenderForm();"/>
                </apex:pageBlockSectionItem>

The inputField uses the standard contact.Account lookup field & automatically causes a search button to appear on the VF page.  However when viewed through SF1 clicking the search button causes a browser page to be opened & the user is asked to login.  Can anybody suggest a way of keeping this process within SF1?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Stickleback

Hi.  I have requirement to only allow certain Event Types to be used for certain type of contacts e.g. we have a custom field of is_prospect__c on Contact & if this is true we only want our users to be able to assign an Event Type of introductory Meeting whereas if it is false they can choose any of the other Event Types.

I thought at first I could use a trigger on the event but I've not been able to get that to work correctly - at the time the trigger fires SF only seems to have created the EventRelation row for the primary contact so my validation for the prospect contact is ignored.  

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Stickleback

It seems SF login sessions times out  when suing https://workbench.developerforce.com/ in about 10-15 minutes.  I have the org session timeout set to four hours.

Anyone know why the session dies so quickly in workbench?

It's rather annoying because I could be working on a query and have to do some other stuff in another window in a bit and then go back to it.  Then my login is timed-out in the workbench sessions and I get kicked back to the login screen and lose everything I had been working.