• 0 Points
  • Member since 2018

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
I have a requirement where I need to navigate to a new Visualforce page after saving the new record. Hence, I added a simple extension to try to resolve these two actions. 

User-added image

The page is redirecting to the other Visualforce page, but the record is not being saved. 
I've noticed that the .save() method doesn't really factor in Validation rules the way the standard {!save} action DOES. 

For this requirement, I've also tried using an INSERT DML statement instead of the .save() method, and I've even tried to use the standard {!save} method in conjunction with some Javascript redirection. Nothing seems to save the record. 

Another important detail -- the data I'm trying to save as a new record is coming from three separate Visualforce pages. I know the data is stored in the viewstate because the standard 'Save' button creates a new record. However when attempting to use a custom 'save' via DML, an error pops up listing the Required fields that are missing (which were previously filled out on the 1st page).

Any suggestions....?
I have a requirement where I need to navigate to a new Visualforce page after saving the new record. Hence, I added a simple extension to try to resolve these two actions. 

User-added image

The page is redirecting to the other Visualforce page, but the record is not being saved. 
I've noticed that the .save() method doesn't really factor in Validation rules the way the standard {!save} action DOES. 

For this requirement, I've also tried using an INSERT DML statement instead of the .save() method, and I've even tried to use the standard {!save} method in conjunction with some Javascript redirection. Nothing seems to save the record. 

Another important detail -- the data I'm trying to save as a new record is coming from three separate Visualforce pages. I know the data is stored in the viewstate because the standard 'Save' button creates a new record. However when attempting to use a custom 'save' via DML, an error pops up listing the Required fields that are missing (which were previously filled out on the 1st page).

Any suggestions....?
Hi All,

I have a custom object called Leap_Weekly_Curriculum__c and I need a VF page that will help me input values into it and also upload a file which should get added to the attachments related list of the same record. Please help.
I am working on a project to create a VF page where the user can add multiple attachments when creating a record.  Someone suggested the controller listed below, and while it will save the attachments, it isn't saving any of the information entered in the VF page for the Incident Report.  If anyone can take a look at this and tell me why the Incident Report isn't being saved, I would truly appreciate it.

APEX CLASS

public class AddMultipleAttachments {

public Incident_Reports__c objIncidentReport { get; set; }
    public Attachment attachment1 { get; set; }
    public Attachment attachment2 { get; set; }
    public Attachment attachment3 { get; set; }

public AddMultipleAttachments (ApexPages.StandardController stdController)
    {
        // Record and Attachments to be inserted
        objIncidentReport = new Incident_Reports__c();
        attachment1 = new Attachment();
        attachment2 = new Attachment();
        attachment3 = new Attachment();
    }

public PageReference createRecordAndAttachments()
    {

Savepoint sp = Database.setSavepoint();
        try
        {
            // Insert the record
            insert objIncidentReport;

// Insert Attachments;
            List<Attachment> toInsert = new List<Attachment>();

if(attachment1.Name != null)
            {
                attachment1.ParentId = objIncidentReport.Id;
                toInsert.add(attachment1);
            }

if(attachment2.Name != null)
            {
                attachment2.ParentId = objIncidentReport.Id;
                toInsert.add(attachment2);
            }

if(attachment3.Name != null)
            {
                attachment3.ParentId = objIncidentReport.Id;
                toInsert.add(attachment3);
            }

if(toInsert.size() > 0)
                insert toInsert;
        }
        catch(Exception ex)
        {
            Database.rollback(sp);
            ApexPages.Message msg = new ApexPages.Message(ApexPages.Severity.ERROR, ex.getMessage());
            ApexPages.addMessage(msg);
        }

// View the record
        PageReference page = ApexPages.currentPage();
        page.setRedirect(true);
        return page;
    }

}

Here is the Visualforce page:

Visualforce Page

<apex:page standardController="Incident_Reports__c" extensions="AddMultipleAttachments">

<apex:sectionHeader title="Property Incident Reports Edit" subtitle="{!Incident_Reports__c.Name}"/>
    <apex:form >

<apex:commandButton value="Save" action="{!save}"/>
        <apex:commandButton value="Save with Attachments" action="{!createRecordAndAttachments}"/>
        <apex:commandButton value="Cancel" action="{!cancel}"/>
        <apex:pageBlock title="Property Incident Reports Edit" mode="edit" id="thePageBlock">
          <apex:pagemessages />

<apex:pageBlockSection columns="1">
              <apex:outputText value="ATTENTION:  Attorney work product/privileged document (for internal use only).  NOT for Associate Injuries, use Worker's Comp Incident Report." style="font-weight:800"/>
              <apex:outputText value="RED LINES REPRESENT REQUIRED FIELDS" style="color:red"  />
            </apex:pageBlockSection>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Property Information" columns="2">
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Property__c}" required="true"/>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Claimant Information" columns="2">
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Claimant_s_Name__c}" required="false"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Claimant_s_Gender__c}" required="false"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Claimant_s_Address__c}" required="false"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Claimant_s_Age__c}" required="false"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Claimant_s_Date_of_Birth__c}" required="false"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Claimant_s_Phone_Number__c}" required="false"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Claimant_s_Phone_Number_Other__c}" required="false"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Claimant_s_Occupation__c}" required="false"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Alliance_Associate__c}" required="false"/>

</apex:pageBlock>

<apex:pageBlock title="Incident Information" mode="edit" id="Incident">

<apex:actionRegion >
            <apex:pageBlockSection title="Incident Type" columns="1">
              <apex:pageBlockSectionItem >
                    <apex:outputLabel value="Type of Incident"/>
                    <apex:outputPanel >
                      <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Type_of_Incident__c}" required="TRUE">
                        <apex:actionSupport event="onchange" rerender="Incident" status="IncidentType"/>
                      </apex:inputField>
                      <apex:actionStatus startText="applying value..." id="IncidentType"/>
                    </apex:outputPanel>
                  </apex:pageBlockSectionItem> 
          </apex:actionRegion>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Incident Information" columns="2">     
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Date_Time_of_Incident__c}" required="false"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Date_Time_Incident_Reported__c}" required="false"/> 
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Pictures_Attached__c}" required="false"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Property_Owner_Notified__c}" required="false"/> 

<apex:pageBlockSectionItem helpText="Check this box if Police, Fire or Ambulance were dispatched to the property.">
                    <apex:outputLabel value="Emergency Services Called"/>
                      <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Emergency_Services_Required__c}" label="Check if Police, Fire or Ambulance were dispatched to the property.">
                        <apex:actionSupport event="onclick" rerender="Incident" status="status"/>
                      <apex:actionStatus startText="applying value..." id="status"/>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Responding Agencies" id="agencies" columns="2" rendered="{!Incident_Reports__c.Emergency_Services_Required__c == TRUE}">

<apex:outputLabel value="Police Department"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Police_Responded__c}">
                <apex:actionSupport event="onclick" rerender="Incident" status="status1"/>
              <apex:actionStatus startText="adding Police Department block..." id="status1"/>

<apex:outputLabel value="Fire Department"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Fire_Department_Responded__c}">
                <apex:actionSupport event="onclick" rerender="Incident" status="status2"/>
              <apex:actionStatus startText="adding Fire Department block..." id="status2"/>

<apex:outputLabel value="Ambulance Service"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Ambulance_Company_Responded__c}">
                <apex:actionSupport event="onclick" rerender="Incident" status="status3"/>
              <apex:actionStatus startText="adding Ambulance Service block..." id="status3"/>

<apex:outputLabel value="Other Emergency Service"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Other_Department_Responded__c}">
                <apex:actionSupport event="onclick" rerender="Incident" status="status4"/>
              <apex:actionStatus startText="adding Other Emergency Service block..." id="status4"/>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Police Department Information" id="police" columns="2" rendered="{!Incident_Reports__c.Police_Responded__c == TRUE}">
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Police_Department_Name__c}" label="Police Department Name"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Police_Report_Number__c}" label="Police Report Number"/>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Fire Department Information" columns="2" rendered="{!Incident_Reports__c.Fire_Department_Responded__c == TRUE}">
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Fire_Department_Name__c}" label="Fire Department Name"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Fire_Dept_Report_Number__c}" label="Fire Dept. Report Number"/>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Ambulance Information" columns="2" rendered="{!Incident_Reports__c.Ambulance_Company_Responded__c == TRUE}">
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Ambulance_Company_Name__c}" label="Ambulance Company Name"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Ambulance_Company_Report_Number__c}" label="Ambulance Co. Report Number"/>

<apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Hospital_Name__c}" label="Hospital Taken To (if applicable)"/>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Other Emergency Services" columns="2" rendered="{!Incident_Reports__c.Other_Department_Responded__c == TRUE}">
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Other_Respondant__c}" label="Other Department Name"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Other_Report_Number__c}" label="Other Department Report Number"/>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Moisture / Flooding" columns="3" rendered="{!Incident_Reports__c.Type_of_Incident__c == 'Flood/Moisture'}" id="FloodingSection">
                <apex:inputTextarea value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Affected_Area__c}" label="Describe Affected Area" cols="40" rows="8"/>
                <apex:inputTextarea value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Source_Cause_of_Moisture__c}" label="Describe Cause of Moisture" cols="40" rows="8"/>
                <apex:inputTextarea value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Personal_Property_Damage__c}" label="Detail Damage to Personal Property" cols="40" rows="8"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Date_Notification_Letter_Sent__c}" label="Date Notification Letter Sent"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Date_Option_Letter_Given__c}" label="Date Option Letter Given"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Date_Option_Letter_Received__c}" label="Date Option Letter Received"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Follow_Up_Call_Completed__c}" label="Date Follow-up Call Completed"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Follow_Up_Call_Associate__c}" label="Name of Associate Conducting Call"/>
                <apex:inputTextarea value="{!Incident_Reports__c.Result_of_Conversation__c}" label="Result of Conversation" cols="40" rows="8"/>

<apex:pageBlock title="Add Attachments">
          	<apex:pageBlockSection title="Attachment 1" >
                <apex:inputFile value="{!attachment1.body}" fileName="{!attachment1.name}"/>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Attachment 2" >
                <apex:inputFile value="{!attachment2.body}" fileName="{!attachment2.name}"/>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Attachment 3" >
                <apex:inputFile value="{!attachment3.body}" fileName="{!attachment3.name}"/>

</apex:form>    
</apex:page>

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

public class Store {
public Store__c str;

public store(ApexPages.StandardController controller) {
this.str = (Store__c)Controller.getRecord();

}
    public Store__c getStr(){
    return str;
    }

Public PageReference save(){

Store__c str =[Select id,Name__c,Address__c,Phone__c,Email__c from Store__c ];
    upsert str;
    return null;
    }

}

Hi 

I have created an object called store and there are some fields in that object which is defind in the VF page as under.I just want to write a controller which uses the save action and can save the record directly from controller.

As i am new in Apex.Please help me in writing this save method.

<apex:page standardController="Store__c" extensions="Store">
<apex:form id="nasir">
<apex:pageMessages />
<apex:pageBlock title="ApexCloudStore" mode="edit">
  <apex:pageBlockButtons >
     <apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="save" >
     <apex:commandButton action="{!cancel}" value="Cancel"/>
    </apex:commandButton>
  </apex:pageBlockButtons>
 <!--This is the first section-->
<apex:pageBlockSection Title="Store Information" columns="2">

<apex:outputText value="Name"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Store__c.Name__c}"/>
<apex:outputText value="Address"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Store__c.Address__c}"/>
<apex:outputText value="Email"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Store__c.Email__c}"/>
<apex:outputText value="Phone"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Store__c.Phone__c}"/>
<apex:outputText value="Website"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Store__c.Website__c}"/>

<apex:pageBlockSection title="Snacks" columns="2">
<apex:outputText value="Chips"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Store__c.Chips__c}"/>
<apex:outputText value="Cold Drinks"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Store__c.Cold_Drinks__c}"/>
<apex:outputText value="Biscuits"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Store__c.Biscuits__c}"/>
<apex:outputText value="Juice"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Store__c.Juice__c}"/>
<apex:outputText value="Pop Corn"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Store__c.Pop_Corn__c}"/>

</apex:form>
</apex:page>

When i am saving this from UI.My code is not getting saved and some times it give "id not defind and some times attempt to dereferance a null object,

Please help me in resolving the errors

Thanks

Nasir

• October 11, 2010