• 65 Points
  • Member since 2006

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
We're partnering with oDesk, a marketplace for outsourced services, to bring you the Salesforce.com & Force.com Group at oDesk. Please use this venue to find and hire developers to work on small integrations and freelance projects.

Yesterday, we announced the general availability of Force.com Sites. For the uninitiated, Sites lets anyone build public facing websites on the Force.com cloud platform. We're all very excited about this capability, and can't wait to see how you will use it. To help you along, here are some key resources:

1. Force.com Free Edition : Also announced yesterday, this will let you build one application for up to 100 user, free for life! 
  2. Look at some examples: Nothing like a little inspiration. See what other have done with sites during it's limited release.
  3. Start Learning: A section of the Technical Library is now dedicated to Force.com Sites related resources.
  4. Start Coding: Get the latest release of the Force.com IDE for Eclipse and start bringing your ideas to life!
  5. Discuss With Others: Should you hit any snags at all, we have a thriving forum for discussing all your Force.com Sites questions.

We've learned that finding and hiring developers to work on small integrations and freelance projects are a challenge to customers and partners. That's why we're partnering with oDesk, a marketplace for outsourced services, to bring you the Salesforce.com & Force.com Group at oDesk.

Please sign up for the Salesforce.com & Force.com Jobs Group at oDesk, and let us know what you think about it! 

Please use the "SRC" button that's available in editing toolbar to insert source code. Inserting source code directly will break the layout of the page. Often, long posts will stretch the layout and hide the reply button, deterring otherwise helpful responses.

Also, please DO NOT use long strings of code in the title. A run-on string in the title breaks the layout for all messages, not just yours.

Thanks for helping keep the boards clean and useful!
Please use the "SRC" button that's available in editing toolbar to insert source code. Inserting source code directly will break the layout of the page. Often, long posts will stretch the layout and hide the reply button, deterring otherwise helpful responses.

Also, please DO NOT use long strings of code in the title. A run-on string in the title breaks the layout for all messages, not just yours.

So far, it has not been possible to change your email address in the community. It's now possible to change it yourself. Simply go to your user profile page and you will see an option to change your email address.
From Karina Kaiser @ salesforce:

Because of the limitations on the formula field, this would require creating three fields: “Days Since Closed”, “Days Since Open” and “Age”. Only the “Age” field would be visible on the page layout the others would have to be hidden. 

Formula Fields with Number data type and zero decimal points. Below are the formula values for the fields. 

1. Days Since Closed  = TODAY() - {!CloseDate}
  2. Days Since Open = NOW() - {!CreatedDate}
  3. Age = IF(ISPICKVAL({!StageName},"Closed Lost"),{!Number_Since_Open__c} -  {!Days_Since_Closed__c},NOW() - {!CreatedDate})
Hopefully this will help you.
Welcome to the new AJAX Toolkit discussion board. You are very smart if you have already guessed that this is for discussing development with the AJAX toolkit. Discussions on whether it is spelt AJAX or Ajax (or whether we should be case sensitive or case respecting), will be entertained but not encouraged :).

Resources :

So far, it has not been possible to change your email address in the community. It's now possible to change it yourself. Simply go to your user profile page and you will see an option to change your email address.
    From Karina Kaiser @ salesforce:

Because of the limitations on the formula field, this would require creating three fields: “Days Since Closed”, “Days Since Open” and “Age”. Only the “Age” field would be visible on the page layout the others would have to be hidden. 

Formula Fields with Number data type and zero decimal points. Below are the formula values for the fields. 

1. Days Since Closed  = TODAY() - {!CloseDate}
    2. Days Since Open = NOW() - {!CreatedDate}
    3. Age = IF(ISPICKVAL({!StageName},"Closed Lost"),{!Number_Since_Open__c} -  {!Days_Since_Closed__c},NOW() - {!CreatedDate})
    Hopefully this will help you.
    Welcome to the new AJAX Toolkit discussion board. You are very smart if you have already guessed that this is for discussing development with the AJAX toolkit. Discussions on whether it is spelt AJAX or Ajax (or whether we should be case sensitive or case respecting), will be entertained but not encouraged :).

Resources :

When I use Safari 4.03 (osx) to post nicely formatted code here, using the code block feature, the forum breaks the code formatting. I'm posting this here so I can refer to it in a case I am logging.

for (Lead l: trigger.new) { if (l.OwnerId == vendorQueueId && l.IsConverted == false && l.Source_type__c == Literal.groupNames.get('vendorRegistration') && l.ExternalId__c != null) { leads.add(l); } }

If I post the same code using FireFox, the formatting is not mangled.

Im not sure if anyone else is experiencing this issue: When logged in to the boards, I get popups requiring a password: The server com-salesforce-wiki-1s.wwwa.com at SalesForce requires a username and password. This happens any time I click on a new thread/ section.

When logged out, the popups do not appear. :smileyvery-happy:

Hello,

I've inherited a project that uses some custom S-Controls. When I log into my dev account and click S-Controls the following message is displayed:

"S-controls have been superseded by Visualforce pages. Salesforce will, sometime after January 2010, remove the ability to create and distribute new s-controls. Existing s-controls will be unaffected."

Can anyone tell me when this announcement was originally made? The project I'm working on isn't that old so I'm curious to know why the previous dev used S-Controls if they were being deprecated.

Thanks,

Dan 

• June 05, 2009

Hi, 

I have been through the visualforce documentation and although it has helped me a great detail in being able to provide a custom list of all my events, I would still like to build an if/then statement. Depending on a certain event name I would like the text to be bold for example. Does anyone know what code I can use? Below is my code

<apex:page controller="EventController" showHeader="false"> 

<apex:repeat value="{!Events}" var="event" id="event_id">

<p><a href="/apex/event_details?id={!event.id}">{!event.name}, {!event.Event_Date__c}</a>

<br/>Description:&nbsp;{!event.Description__c }

if {!event.name} = "marathon" then ....

</p><hr/>

</apex:repeat>

</apex:page> 

• June 05, 2009

We've learned that finding and hiring developers to work on small integrations and freelance projects are a challenge to customers and partners. That's why we're partnering with oDesk, a marketplace for outsourced services, to bring you the Salesforce.com & Force.com Group at oDesk.

Please sign up for the Salesforce.com & Force.com Jobs Group at oDesk, and let us know what you think about it! 

Can someone share a datalist component example? Also, can I create custom components?  
      Hi,

I'm still a JS beginner programmer and been killing me how this works!
      Basically, i'm trying to collect response from external users via email, if they would like to attend a function or not.

I've tested the function below on IE and it works perfectly fine. The javascript function fires off when executed within a web page. It basically changes the member_status to 'accept' or 'declined'. This is the most important part which i want to get working.

The same function does not work when executed from a HTML BASED EMAIL. It will pass the original value 'Temp Value' back into SFA regardless of which button i click.

How do i get this to work?? If there are any html gurus please advise on another method or why this JS doesn't quite fire!

regards

Jimmy

--html>
      --head>
      --script type="text/javascript">
      function Attending(strField)
      {document.getElementById("member_status").value = strField;
      // document.getElementById("mainForm").submit()
      }
      --/script>
      --/head>

<body>
      <form id="mainForm" >
      <input size="25" id="member_status" name="member_status" value="Temp Value">
      <input type="button" value="Accept" onclick="Attending('Accepted')">
      <input type="button" value="Decline" onclick="Attending('Declined')">
      </form>
      </body>

--/html>

I want to run my own mini campaigns with my active and inactive customer list.  anybody know what I am talking about?
      thx
      j
      Let me first say that this sounds like a great addition to SFDC. My question is where do I begin in testing this new language? I have access to a SFDC preview org. Am I missing something? Do I save it as an s-control? I have read through the documentation but seemed to have missed this starting point.

Thanks!
      I just noticed my authenticated Salesforce pages now have PageRank from Google (PR3), which means Google spiders are holding URLs like https://na1.salesforce.com/home/home.jsp in their index.

Very odd since robots.txt in the root disallows this.

https://na1.salesforce.com/robots.txt
      #
      # robots.txt for sfdc appservers.
      #
      # For use by salesforce.com
      #
      User-agent: * # applies to all robots
      Disallow: / # disallow indexing of all pages

Perhaps the spiders need some more specific NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW instructions in the page template? Such as:

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

... some may be concerned that anything with Google PR is accessible via the web, although I know that's not the case here.
      Hi,

I wanted you to know that I was taking part in the mydreamapp.com competition to design (and get developed) the greatest Mac application !
      My idea is macForce, salesforce.com on the Mac : the idea is presented here, copied below.

Please cross-post discussions about this idea on the mydreamapp forum.
      If you wish to support this idea, please vote for it starting 1/2 september on mydreamapp.com.

So just imagine, now, having salesforce.com on your Mac.

You can use already the salesforce.com OnDemand service online ?
      That's true, but here are the drawbacks :
      . online : precisely, you have to be online to use salesforce.com
      . speed : the reactivity of your web browser, through the internet, is much less good than any Mac app you are used to using locally
      . usability : any Mac app, with great user interfaces and integration with your other Mac desktop applications, will be more usable, sexy and productive than salesforce.com through your web browser, even with the best Ajax UI (which salesforce.com does not have).

So what exactly will macForce offer ?

Feature 1 : sync your data between the OnDemand salesforce.com platform and your Mac, locally

You now have all your salesforce.com on your Mac; you can walk away from the net, use the data offline, and sync it back later on. Data is mapped to the MacOSX data model thanks to the introspection features of the salesforce.com API : Accounts and Contacts mapped to AddressBook addresses, Tasks and Events mapped to iCal, Documents stored in the Finder as files, etc.
      Are you getting it now ?  You will be able to read, update, create, delete and link all this data offline, on your own Mac, and those actions will be reflected, after the next sync, in salesforce.com
      You use several salesforce.com accounts ?  That's OK, macForce will tag your data with your salesforce.com userid, and store your passwords in KeyChain, if you want.
      On MacOSX Server, this sync engine will run as a service : that means it will just run on its own, without your assistance - the same is true for the MacOSX client platform, of course.
      Just like any sync service, conflicts will be managed and resolved. macForce will used the Mac's SynServices; there is a difficulty here, which is discovering how the "server" value of Client Description type is managed ...
      Data is stored locally in a CoreData database. The sync engine will be extended with engine-plugins, developed by third-party partners, to connect to other OnDemand services. They will also be able to develop data-plugins to sync your own salesforce.com custom data objects (e.g. pulled in from the AppExchange).

Feature 2 : macForce integrated with Spotlight

This is not as straightforward as it seems, since Spotlight does not search databases (currently), but only searches file metadata. Depending on the advances of Spotlight in Leopard, we will either implement this feature rather like Delicious Library (i.e. create a small file for each salesforce.com object), or use the hoped-for Leopard feature of Spotlight for CoreData databases.
      An API will be standardized around this service, in the first case, so that any Mac developer can developer his own local Mac application to handle your salesforce.com data on the Mac !  In the second case, the API will be simple Leopard CoreData+Spotlight : what could be more simple ?
      So just imagine searching through your heap of salesforce.com contacts : they are all there; find them in Spotlight, in Mail, in AddressBook, etc.

Feature 3 : macForce integrates salesforce.com with the Mac

There is currently no Mac client for salesforce.com, because they provide a client component based on .Net which does not run on our favorite platform. No worries; with macForce, you will be using Mac apps !
      Send an SMS to a salesforce.com contact from AddressBook; fix a meeting with him in iCal; send him an email and add it to his current Opprotunity from within Mail.app - all this on your Mac, offline : it will all sync up to the salesforce.com OnDemand service later on. macForce will be integrated with Skype for IP-calls, Gmail for storage if necessary, Google Maps and Earth for locations, Growl for notifications, etc., etc. Your imagination is the limit, your data is now on your Mac with macForce.

Feature 4 : macForce comes with its own Mac client apps

(sync) engines are nice, but Mac user interfaces are much nicer. macForce comes with its own client applications for you to update your own salesforce.com data on your Mac : a Sales and a Support console. These are designed like iSale or Delicious Library, and integrate all the possible operations on your standard salesforce.com data : Opportunity, Product, Solution, Contract, Campaign, as well as Document in Finder, Account and Contact in AB, Task and Event in iCal.
      Your favorite Mac developer will also be able to add specific plugins into macForce to develop the perfect GUI (graphical user interface) to handle your own custom data from salesforce.com.

Feature 5 : macForce syncs your salesforce.com data with .Mac

A second sync engine keeps all your data synced with .Mac : your Accounts and Contacts data will sync with the rest of your AddressBook data, salesforce.com Events and Tasks will go with your iCal data, salesforce.com Documents (files) will go on iDisk, and all the rest will be synced as a new SalesForce.com data class in .Mac

So now, you can access all that business data from all your Macs : at home, at work, on your MacBook pro you want to take to the beach, etc.

Finally, a bit about this competition. How will judges evaluate macForce ?

A) Innovation and Creativity : ***** (5/5)?

This has never been done. I have been waiting for this app for 2 years, and not seen anyone mention anything like it. That is why I have started prototyping it, spending most of my time looking out for the technologies (now available) to implement it with.

B) Use of OS X and Leopard technologies : ****. (4.5/5)

Integrated with many desktop mac applictions, macForce will also rely on lower-level Tiger and Leopard technologies like Spotlight, CoreData, TimeMachine, etc.

C) Feasibility of Development : ****. (4.5/5)

This has already been prototyped - e.g. for calling the salesforce.com API, have a look at ActiveSalesforce which I run with client-only RubyOnRails.

D) Mass-Market Appeal : ***** (5/5)

I hope that macForce will simply be the Trojan Horse we have been waiting for to introduce the Mac massively into the entreprise : that is what I have been waiting for for 2 years now.

Beyond bringing valuable on-demand services right to your Mac, the "sync to on-demand" concept of macForce is the door open to a stream of Mac apps working locally with seamlessly-synced business services data and turns the salesforce.com service platform into an extension of the Mac and its .Mac/iDisk sync model.

• August 30, 2006
      Hi gang

I have a user that created a custom object that has a formula field.
      I'd like to program a lookup on this field, but my SOAP message return is always saying
      "<sf:exceptionCode>INVALID_FIELD</sf:exceptionCode>"

and pointing the little carat-thingy underneath the field name.
      My first question is if it's even allowable for us to look at furmla fields.

Thanks in advance

KC

My organization has a small problem and we are looking for a solution to fix this issue. On the lead side we collect information in a particular field, and we would like to map this information to both the contact and the opportunity record upon converting.

As far as we are aware, SFDC does not allow duplicate mapping to occur. If I am wrong in this, please let me know and explain how I can make it happen. Our thought is then to create a 2nd custom field with a field formula that looks something like (field2 = field1) so that when we convert we can just map it to 2 locations.

Can anyone shed some light on this, and provide some assistance on how to solve this problem.

Is there someone whose job it is to be embarrassed about this?

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A//www.salesforce.com/

That many errors is quite a feat.
      I suspect this isn't possible--has anyone been able to get carriage returns into a text formula field? I tried to pass <br/>, but not surprisingly I got the text "<br/>" back.

I want to list a few hyperlinks in one formula field to clean up my UI.

Thanks,
      Steve
      I have a custom url tab which runs an SSL application.  However, for whatever reason, the session variables used in that application don't persist across the different pages.
      Moreover, if I run the same custom tab without the https:// on a different non-SSL server, the session variables DO persist.  Anyone encountered this problem??

Thanks in advance.

• March 29, 2006