• Member since 2009

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hi,

We had a general question on salesforce's Customer Portal vs High Volume Customer User Portal. We'd greatly appreciate your advice/feedbacks on a couple of questions from a "Best Practices" standpoint.

Our Business Scenario:
Assume we have 300k+ end customers who need to access salesforce's customer portal to create support cases. Note that the concurrent usage for the Portal is not very high though.

Questions:
1. If we use Salesforce's "Customer Portal" then would it cause any performance issue if we have 300+ portal user licenses? It would greatly help if we can get some details around this performance issue. Again note that the concurrent usage for the Portal would not be vey high at any point of time.

2. Is "High Volume Customer Portal" receommended for the above business scenario; Also does "High Volume Customer Portal" have any other known performance/system impact due to 300+ high volume portal licenses.

I tried to search all the docs on salesforce sites and could not find any relevant information on the above 2 questions. Therefore an expert advice on this is greatly appreciated which would help us think in the right direction.

Thanks for your time.

Ambili

Hi

I had a very basic question on S2S. Technically in an S2S connection is the lead record(say) shared or is it recreated in the subscribing org? In other words, does the subscribing org get a reference to the lead or a new copy of the lead  record from the publishing org?

Thanks

sfdcdev

Hi there,

I needed some recommendation for an appexchange tool that will FTP file attachments from SFDC to any other internal server. In our scenario when user attaches a file to the case record in SFDC, it should be FTP-ed to our internal LINUX/WINDOWS storage server within our company domain.Our main business requirement for our customers is to upload large attachments (salesforce limits to 5 MB) and our internal engineers to access those files on a Linux machine.

I came across the following 3 tools:

1. FTP Attachments
2. Appirio Cloud Storage Tool
3. S-Drive for Salesforce.com

Could anyone who already used some of these tools please share your experience. Also is there any recommendation for any other better tools?

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

I have a basic question around security when it comes to integration using web-links. Take a very typical web-link integration example wherein a visualforce page in SFDC has a link/button that has a URL to another internal/external application. When user clicks on the link/button, the visualforce page will make an HTTPS POST to the other application passsing certain hidden parameters like username,email,sessionid,orgid,etc. The other application will use this information to authenticate the user in their system and respond with the appropriate page.

Since this was not very secure, an added functionality that we used here in order to make it a more robust and secure is a web service call back to SFDC. For e.g. the other application upon receiving the HTTPS request from SFDC will make a web service call to SFDC (custom apex web service) and pass the same values that was sent over by SFDC to the other app.SFDC web service will then authenticate the request based on username and email address and orgid and then return a true or false.

The question is: How secure is this kind of "authentication" mechanism. This is not a true SSO, but appears to be like one. How can we make this kind of authentication more robust without having to enable SAML or SSO? What are the best preactices for an integration using HTTPS post?

Thanks

Ambili

Hi,

We need to integrate salesforce.com with Avaya(CTI) and IVR/VP. We identified the following major components that forms major part of the SFDC development effort.

Could anyone who already have done this type of integration let us know the level of effort (LoE) in ours or man days for this type of integration ( including DESIGN and DEVELOPMENT)from a pure SFDC development  perspective.

1. Softphone installation, configuration  and Layout modifications.
2. Avaya Call Center (XML File) installation/configuration
3. Agents or User Profile Configuration
4. CSR Phone routing business logic (Custom Apex Code)
5. Web Services for IVR/VP(Custom Apex Code )

Thanks for your time.

How can I get the Salesforce.com Organization ID that is populated in the Company Profile page from Apex?

I tried UserInfo.getOrganizationId(), but that return the ID of the company profile page which is different from the Salesforce.com Organization ID  "field" that we see on the COmpany Profile page.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

We have several standard Oppty reports where the role Hierarchy is displayed when a report is run (especially matrix reports for opportunities,etc). However since our role hierarchy is too long, one sees a very lengthy string of roles flooding the page when the report is run.

How can one hide the Hierrarchy that is displayed on the top page of the reports?

Thanks

Message Edited by sfdcdev on 01-15-2010 04:53 PM

Hi,

With salesforce.com contents, how can we auto-assign a new content that gets uploaded to say workspace A also to a default workspace B.

We have this requirement wherein we need to upload content to partner workspace. However at the same time it also needs to be shared with "Internal Workspace" that we have created. Currently the way we do this is by uploading the contentn to  Partner User workspace and then again editing it and sharing it to the internal workspace, which consumes a lot of time.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

Hi,

I went over the release notes and though it supports the new COUNT_DISTINCT(), which basically returns the number of distinct values, it does not support one of the useful SQL  DISTINCT() function that returns the unique records.

Is this true that it's not supported in Spring '10?

Thanks

Message Edited by sfdcdev on 01-14-2010 02:09 PM

Hi,

We have enabled cases for Partner Portal. But during a new case creation, we want to hide the option "Send notification email to contact" checkbox that appears at the bottom of the new Case page lyout.

How can we do this without having to convert the page to visualforce?

Thanks

Hi,

How can I compare a datetime field with date something similar to oracle's trunc function?

Thanks

Hi,

Does Apex have an equivalent functionality as in Java to parse external HTML documents? For e.g can Apex access external URLs and extract specific contents from them and display in VF pages(say)?

Thanks

Hi,

Does anyone know how we can restrict users from entering/typing double byte characters(chinese, japanese) in a certain field or text area?

Thanks

Hi,

Can a user with profile permission "API only user" access the User Objects like User, User Role, UserGroup? We tried it and it threw INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_OR_READONLY error.

We have a requirement to use the API only user, but who has access to update User objects. At the same time we do not want to use the System Administrator profile for this purpose.

Any pointers?

Thanks for your time.

Message Edited by sfdcdev on 09-22-2009 03:15 PM

Hi,

Can an API only user able to access the User Objects like User, User Role, UserGroup? We tried it and it threw INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_OR_READONLY error.

We have a requirement to use the API only user, but who has access to update User objects. At the same time we do not want to use the System Administrator profile for this purpose.

Any pointers?

Thanks for your time.

Message Edited by sfdcdev on 09-22-2009 02:26 PM

Hi there,

We use the following URL provided as some hyperlinks to login to Partner Portal with a startURL paramater:

https://csx.salesforce.com/secur/login_portal.jsp?orgId=xxxxxxxxxxxxx&portalId=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&startURL=/apex/myPage

The issue is that if a user is already logged in to the Partner Portal, clicking on the above link still redirects him to the partner Login page wherein everytime he needs to perform the login.

Is there a way to avoid the subsequent login if the user is already logged in?

Thanks

Message Edited by sfdcdev on 09-04-2009 11:34 AM

Hi,

I had a question on URL Encoding.

Scenario:

End users would be getting specific hyperlinks in their emails/newsletters. The HREF information in those links will be something like this: 

https://csx.salesforce.com/secur/login_portal.jsp?orgId=xxxxxxxxx&portalId=xxxxxxxxxxxxx&startURL=/apex/firstPage?stURLcustom=http://xxxxx.xxxxcom/xxxx/xxx.cfm?ui=sso&a=one&id_subject=xxxx&defaultlanguage=1  

When user clicks on the above link, it will try to first login the user to partner portal and then based on the salesforce's “startURL” parameter, it will redirect them to the VF page named “firstPage”. It is in this VF page where I need to retrieve the full query string for the second sub-query-string parameter “stURLcustom”. The value that I get for stURLcustom should be the entire string as shown below:

http://xxxxx.xxxxcom/xxxx/xxx.cfm?ui=sso&a=one&id_subject=xxxx&defaultlanguage=1

Issue:
We do not have control on the HREF values behind the custom links as they are sent by other systems outside of Salesforce. Right now the issue is that when I click the link above, I go to the PRM login page and once I enter a valid login and password, it takes me to the visualforce page based on the startURL parameter;  but the document URL on this page is displayed as follows: 

https://csx.salesforce.com/secur/login_portal.jsp?orgId=xxxxxxxxx&portalId=xxxxxxxxxxxxx&startURL=/apex/firstPage?stURLcustom=http://xxxxx.xxxxcom/xxxx/xxx.cfm?ui=sso  

Instead of: 

https://csx.salesforce.com/secur/login_portal.jsp?orgId=xxxxxxxxx&portalId=xxxxxxxxxxxxx&startURL=/apex/firstPage?stURLcustom=http://xxxxx.xxxxcom/xxxx/xxx.cfm?ui=sso&a=one&id_subject=xxxx&defaultlanguage=1

We cannot use the URLEncoding utility available in Apex, as we need to implement this without a controller. I tried encoding the whole URL with UTF 8  but that did not work either and was throwing an invald URL error.

Any thoughts on how can I get the full query String URL for the parameter stURLcustom for the above scenario? 

Thanks for your time.

Thanks

Hi there,

I had a question on query string parameters and the $CurrentPage.parameters variable.

I am sending my query string to a VF page as follows:

https://csx.salesforce.com/apex/xxxxx_clone?sfdc.tabName=xxxxxxxx&myurl=http://www.amazon.com?a=aaa&b=bbb&c=ccc 

But when I alert the value of the query string parameter myurl, this is what I get:

http://www.amazon.com?a=aaa (the rest of the query string is stripped off)

My JS code si as follows:

<script type="text/javascript">
     var tempstURLml= "{!$CurrentPage.parameters.myurl}";
    alert("tempstURLml-->> " + myurl);
</script>

Does anyone know the fix for this issue? 

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

We have several standard Oppty reports where the role Hierarchy is displayed when a report is run (especially matrix reports for opportunities,etc). However since our role hierarchy is too long, one sees a very lengthy string of roles flooding the page when the report is run.

How can one hide the Hierrarchy that is displayed on the top page of the reports?

Thanks

Message Edited by sfdcdev on 01-15-2010 04:53 PM

First off, please read the WHOLE message before replying.  Everyone seems to read the error message and stop there...  Thanks. :)

So I came across this error when doing something relatively simple and after narrowing it down, it seems to be a problem with SalesForce itsself.  First the error:

SELECT id FROM Lead WHERE ((CampaignId = '701xxxxxxxxxxxxx') ^ ERROR at Row:1:Column:29 No such column 'CampaignId' on entity 'Lead'. If you are attempting to use a custom field, be sure to append the '__c' after the custom field name. Please reference your WSDL or the describe call for the appropriate names.

Here's how to reproduce it. 

Apex Page: 

<apex:page standardController="Lead" extensions="leadsextension" recordSetVar="leads" id="leadslist"></apex:page>

Apex Class (leadsextension.cls):

public class leadsextension{ private List<Lead> leads; public Integer leadsCount { get; private set; } public leadsextension( ApexPages.Standardsetcontroller stdSetCtrlr ) { leads = (List<Lead>)stdSetCtrlr.getSelected(); } }

Add the page as a custom button to the leads list view, check some leads and click the button.  Everything so far works fine.  Now the problem.  Create a lead view with a campaign as a filter.  Load that list, check some leads and click the new button... ERROR!  Maybe I'm being stupid and someone can lead me out of the darkness.  Help!

Thanks,
Dan

Message Edited by bikerdan2112 on 01-04-2010 01:15 PM
Message Edited by bikerdan2112 on 01-04-2010 04:49 PM

Hi,

We have enabled cases for Partner Portal. But during a new case creation, we want to hide the option "Send notification email to contact" checkbox that appears at the bottom of the new Case page lyout.

How can we do this without having to convert the page to visualforce?

Thanks

I have an opportunity report that has way too many names in the "Hierarcy "at the  top of the report.  How do I hide or remove those names in the Hierarchy?

Does anyone know why this list of Hierarchy names appears in some Opportunity reports and not others?  How do I change it?  Thanks! 

Hi,

Can an API only user able to access the User Objects like User, User Role, UserGroup? We tried it and it threw INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_OR_READONLY error.

Any pointers?

Thanks for your time.

Message Edited by sfdcdev on 09-22-2009 02:26 PM

Hi there,

We use the following URL provided as some hyperlinks to login to Partner Portal with a startURL paramater:

https://csx.salesforce.com/secur/login_portal.jsp?orgId=xxxxxxxxxxxxx&portalId=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&startURL=/apex/myPage

The issue is that if a user is already logged in to the Partner Portal, clicking on the above link still redirects him to the partner Login page wherein everytime he needs to perform the login.

Is there a way to avoid the subsequent login if the user is already logged in?

Thanks

Message Edited by sfdcdev on 09-04-2009 11:34 AM

Hi there,

I had a question on query string parameters and the $CurrentPage.parameters variable.

I am sending my query string to a VF page as follows:

https://csx.salesforce.com/apex/xxxxx_clone?sfdc.tabName=xxxxxxxx&myurl=http://www.amazon.com?a=aaa&b=bbb&c=ccc 

But when I alert the value of the query string parameter myurl, this is what I get:

http://www.amazon.com?a=aaa (the rest of the query string is stripped off)

My JS code si as follows:

<script type="text/javascript">
     var tempstURLml= "{!$CurrentPage.parameters.myurl}";
    alert("tempstURLml-->> " + myurl);
</script>

Does anyone know the fix for this issue? 

Thanks for your time.