• 35 Points
  • Member since 2010

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

How can I link to a file in Sharepoint directly from Salesforce ?

So we upload all our documents in Salesforce for a given prospect and we store the link of this folder in the field on the Prospect.

How can we provide a single sign-on between Salesforce and Sharepoint so that when the user clicks on this link they don't have to login to Sharepoint again ?

Also, are there any Sharepoint webServices  available that we can call from Salesforce for integration ?

Thanks

• March 02, 2010

Hi,

I guess what i'm looking for is a dummy's explanation of what I need for an SSO configuration.  I've read the articles on http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/How_to_Implement_Single_Sign-On_with_Force.com and http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Single_Sign-On_with_SAML_on_Force.com but still have questions (I'm very new to this).

The process I need to setup is as follows:

A user click on a link on a 3rd party website which brings them to my salesforce.com ssytem. It authenticates the user (details are passed in the URL) then returns the user to the 3rd party external site (using a returnulr) with some user details from salesforce as part of the url string.

My understanding is that SAML authentication on Salesforce.com can be setup for my part of the requirements.

On reading the above articles. It specifies "In Salesforce, specify your organization’s Single Sign-On Gateway URL by clicking Setup | Security Controls | Single Sign-On settings."

There are also examples detailed on using an Identity provider & a service provider.  Open source identity providers such as OpenSAML are also detailed.

Questions I have:

If the authentication is to occur on salesforce.com, Do I need to setup salesforce.com as the identity provider (It would seem to me that the 3rd party company who need authentication from Salesforce would therefore be the service provider?).

Do I need external identity provider software/configurations (such as OpenSAML for example) or can this be built using built in using existing salesforce functionality? 

Thanks in advance. Any help would be appreciated!

There is lots of good information on developer.force.com about SSO and Salesforce as the service provider but I can't find any information on using Salesforce as the identity provider to another service. I would like to be able to use my salesforce user and contact objects as my identity store for an outside application. Can it be done? Do I have to role my own SAML SSO service within Salesforce to get the job done? What kind of license agreement issues would I have to deal with?

Any thoughts?

• August 02, 2010

I have a business case, where there is a .Net web application that opens up Salesforce within the app. How do I ensure that the user is automatically logged in without being asked for a username and password.

Note:
1. The login needs to be seamless - so that even when a new user is setup, he/she does not have to go through the process of password reset. The user should not have to know what his / her username and password is
2. This Salesforce org already has SSO enabled. However, the users that use the web app are not on the same network. Hence SSO will not work. I would need a parallel authentication mechanism. Is it possible to have 2 parallel external authentication mechanisms. Is yes, how? Is there some documentation that I can refer?
3. I dont want to maintain Salesforce usernames and passwords in the .Net app, since it will be an overhead to sync the passwords everytime
4. I cannot use a single API user that will impersonate all users, because, I need to keep a history of which user did what. 

What options do I have? And if I am willing to store the paswords in the .Net app, are there easy options to automatically store the user credentials and have the user login into Salesforce.

Ram

How can I link to a file in Sharepoint directly from Salesforce ?

So we upload all our documents in Salesforce for a given prospect and we store the link of this folder in the field on the Prospect.

How can we provide a single sign-on between Salesforce and Sharepoint so that when the user clicks on this link they don't have to login to Sharepoint again ?

Also, are there any Sharepoint webServices  available that we can call from Salesforce for integration ?

Thanks

• March 02, 2010