• 0 Points
  • Member since 2011

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

I need to write over an existing, active trigger in production with a new, updated version, and do the same for a test class. What is the best way to do this? If I create a change set with the new version of the trigger and test and deploy them while the first version is still active, will it write over the first version? Or do I need to remove the old versions first?

I'm more comfortable using change sets, but can use Eclipse if needed to do this.

Thanks.

I need to send an email to a contact associated with a record (through a lookup field) one week before a date in the record's "End Date" field. 

I can't use workflow for this because the email doesn't go to a set contact, but rather it depends on the field contents. 

I can write an apex trigger to send the email, but how do I incorporate the time-dependent aspect? 

Would it work if I set a workflow rule to check a checkbox field a week before the deadline, and write the trigger to be an "on update" trigger and say that the field must be checked? Would the workflow-induced field update set off the trigger? 

I'm currently using Javascript buttons with custom URLs to send emails based on templates. While I know this is unsupported and not recommended, it's great because it allows the user to access the edit page of the email to add any additional recipients on the fly and make changes to the content. 

It's not great because in order to work for templates using merge fields from standard objects, "Modify All Data" must be checked for the profile, which is becoming a security issue. 

So, I need to replace each Javascript button with an Apex class/VF button (and maybe another VF page?). I know how to write a class and button to just send an email to a set list of recipients, but that's not it, exactly. The problem is, I want to it do exactly what the Javascript does--open the send an email edit/preview page, allow the user to make changes, and *then* send the email, not just do it all behind the scenes. 

How can I accomplish this? Does it require some kind of custom Visualforce page replacing the standard email edit page? Or can I somehow get the standard page to open using Apex without encountering the system permissions issue I do with Javascript? Thanks. 

I'm trying to have a field on my master object (Opportunity, field is called AFPAK_Student_Names__c) reflect the a field on all detail objects (Student_Assignment__c) meeting a certain criteria (Student_Assignment__c.status = Active) at any given time. Kind of like a text roll-up summary field. 

This trigger works just fine to add student names to the field when I add new Student Assignments with Status Active. However, what if I delete one or change the status? I want the field to reflect the change. 

In that case, is there a way to use Apex to test if the text field contains certain text (Student Name from the now non-active Student Assignment) and then remove just that? 

trigger StudentAssignmentClassUpdate on Student_Assignment__c (after insert) { 

if (trigger.isInsert){
Map<Id,Id> AssignmentToClassMap = new Map<Id,Id>();
for(Student_Assignment__c A : trigger.new)
           AssignmentToClassMap.put(A.Class__c,A.Id);

List<Opportunity> OppsToUpdate = new List<Opportunity>();

for (Opportunity TestOpp: [SELECT Id, AFPAK_Student_Names__c FROM Opportunity WHERE Id IN:  AssignmentToClassMap.keySet()])
    {
        Id TestOppId = AssignmentToClassMap.get(TestOpp.Id);
        Student_Assignment__c StudAss = trigger.newMap.get(TestOppId);

//CASE 1: if inserting a Student Assignment with status Active, add student name to AFPAK student names field        
if (StudAss.status__c=='Active'){
TestOpp.AFPAK_Student_Names__c =TestOpp.AFPAK_Student_Names__c+' '+[SELECT Name From Contact Where Id = :StudAss.Student_Name__c limit 1].Name;
OppsToUpdate.add(TestOpp);
}
}
if(OppsToUpdate != null && !OppsToUpdate.isEmpty())
Database.update(OppsToUpdate);
}
}

I need to isolate a group of contacts and send them an email. Essentially, I need a SOQL statement along the lines of: select email from Contact
where ID in (select instructor_name__c.id from Opportunity where stage='Active' and Location__c='Arlington')

Or something to that effect. Then, I would create a list and send an email to that group. Could I accomplish this with an Apex class and a javascript button? Or does it have to be a Visualforce button? Is there a better way (maybe this is something Conga Composer can do?) I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Relatedly, what if I just want to generate a report of all contacts meeting the criteria of my SOQL statement? Is there some way to just display the list? Thanks.

I have a complex trigger on Opportunities that is behaving exactly as I would like, but my test coverage is only at 88%. The trigger is after insert, after update, and after delete, and it's the after delete portion of the code that the test is not affecting. Here is a shortened version of the trigger showing just the after delete case. How would I go about testing this portion? I'm getting confused since it seems to be more complex than the after insert and after update cases. I tried to just create an opportunity and the related contact and then delete the opportunity and update the contact in my test, but I must need to do something else as well. Thanks for any insight. 

In a nutshell, what the trigger does is:  a contact is related to an opportunity by a lookup field on opportunity. When the opportunity is deleted, if its stage is Active, it decrements a counter field on the related contact (instructor). 

trigger InsertUpdateDelete on Opportunity (after insert, after update, after delete) {

if(trigger.isDelete){
  {
 Map<Id,Id> instructorsToOppsMap3 = new Map<Id,Id>();
 for(Opportunity A : system.trigger.old)
 	             instructorsToOppsMap3.put(A.InstructorName__c,A.Id);

List<Contact> contactsToUpdate3 = new List<Contact>();

for (Contact Instructor: [SELECT Id,Active_Count__c FROM Contact WHERE Id IN:  instructorsToOppsMap3.keySet()])
    {
	          Id oppId = instructorsToOppsMap3.get(Instructor.Id);
 	          Opportunity opp = system.trigger.oldMap.get(oppId);

if (opp.StageName=='Active'){
 	              Instructor.Active_Count__c=Instructor.Active_Count__c - 1;

contactsToUpdate3.add(instructor);
	         }
	  if(contactsToUpdate3 != null && !contactsToUpdate3.isEmpty())
 	          Database.update(contactsToUpdate3);
 	  }
 	  } 

Is it possible to use a custom button to create a new record? I'd like to put the button on a custom object (Task Order__c) and have it create a new Opportunity, pulling information from the Task Order into the Opportunity fields. I would also like to be able to specify the record type of the new Opportunity. I have cobbled this together based on some examples I found of other buttons. Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance.

Here is what I am trying:

{!REQUIRESCRIPT("/soap/ajax/22.0/connection.js")}
var newopportunity= new sforce.SObject("Opportunity");
newopportunity.Name = "my new opportunity";
newopportunity.Account="{!Task_Order__c.Account__c}";
newopportunity.StageName="Active";
newopportunity.CloseDate=new Date();
newopportunity.Student_Name__c="TBD";
var result = sforce.connection.create([newopportunity]);
window.location.reload();

Diplomatic Language Services is a language services provider to government and commercial clients in the Washington, D.C. area. Please visit our website at http://www.dlsdc.com for more information. We are seeking a Salesforce developer, preferably in the local area, to work with our Salesforce administrator on a consultant basis to accomplish several small Apex development tasks (writing, testing, and deploying triggers.) 
We are looking for an experienced developer with at least two years of Apex development experience and an interest in sharing your knowledge to guide us through deployment of triggers on our standard and custom objects, and to serve as a resource to us on an as-needed basis going forward. The goal is to accomplish the work in a way that teaches us as much about the deployment process as possible. 
Requirements:
Excellent Apex knowledge
force.com Certified Developer preferred with at least two years of Salesforce development experience.
Willingness to answer questions and work closely with our Administrator on each step of the process 
Duration: approximately 1 month, may extend
Location: Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. D.C.-based candidates are preferred. Candidates elsewhere in the U.S. may be considered with good
availability and responsiveness and a history of successfully accomplishing development work remotely.

Please visit our jobs board at http://dlservices.force.com/careers to apply. Please submit your resume and rates and describe your recent development projects for consideration. 

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but: I have a trigger, I wrote a test for it, and it is displaying 100% coverage in my Sandbox. I want to deploy it to production, but my overall average coverage is only 72%. I can't deploy unless everything is at 75%, right? The problem is, the code without sufficient coverage is part of managed packages--installed apps. Is it really the case that I have to fix or get rid of other people's mistakes in order to be able to deploy my trigger?

I also just downloaded Eclipse with the Force.com IDE. Is that a better way to go to deploy my trigger?

Thanks for the help.  

I received some helpful feedback here to write a trigger on opportunity to update a field on a related contact, linked through a lookup field. I now understand how to do a simple field update on a picklist field on a related object.

I now need to write a revised version to actually increment or decrement a counter field (Active_Count__c) on the related contact. If Opp Stage = Active, Active_Count__c needs to be the previous value + 1. If Opp Stage is not Active, Active_Count__c needs to be the previous value -1. I'm not sure how to express the previous value or the addition/subtraction. I have question marks at those places in the code. 

Here is what I have so far: 

trigger OpportunityRelatedContact2 on Opportunity (after insert, after update) { 
{
Map<Id,Id> instructorsToOppsMap = new Map<Id,Id>();
for(Opportunity A : trigger.new)
           instructorsToOppsMap.put(A.InstructorName__c,A.Id);

List<Contact> contactsToUpdate = new List<Contact>{};

for (Contact Instructor: [SELECT Id,Active_Count__c FROM Contact WHERE Id IN:  instructorsToOppsMap.keySet()])
    {
        Id oppId = instructorsToOppsMap.get(Instructor.Id);
        Opportunity opp = trigger.newMap.get(oppId);
            Instructor.Active_Count__c= ???Active Count value + 1 ;
       }else {
       Instructor.Active_Count__c= ???Active Count value - 1;
             contactsToUpdate.add(instructor);
         }
}
if(contactsToUpdate != null && !contactsToUpdate.isEmpty())
        Database.update(contactsToUpdate);
}
}

Thanks for the input!

I posted a related question a little while back and got some good ideas, but I'm still struggling with writing my first trigger. It should be simple enough: 

Opportunity has a Contact related through a lookup field on Opportunity. When Opportunity stage is Active, I want related contact status (Instructor_Status__c; it's a picklist) to change to Employed. 

When Opportunity Stage is not Active, I want related contact status to change to Available. 

If it matters, Opportunity:Contact is One:Many. 

I have so far: 

trigger OpportunityRelatedContact on Opportunity (after insert, after update) { 
{
list<Contact> Listofinstructors = new list<Contact>();

for (Opportunity A : trigger.new)
{

Contact instructor = new Contact(Id = A.InstructorName__c);
listofinstructors.add(Instructor);

if(A.StageName=='Active'){
instructor.Instructor_status__c='Employed';}
}
}
}

It's obviously not there yet, and I don't know if I have the right approach. Any help is appreciated. 

Hi, 

I'm new to Apex, and want to create what I think is a pretty simple cross-object field update trigger. 

An Opportunity has an Instructor Name lookup to a Contact record. When I change the opportunity record to Active, I want a custom field to update the instructor employment status to Employed on the Contact record. Likewise, when Opportunity stage moves to Ended, I want Contact status to go to Available. 

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this? Thanks very much for your input. 

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but: I have a trigger, I wrote a test for it, and it is displaying 100% coverage in my Sandbox. I want to deploy it to production, but my overall average coverage is only 72%. I can't deploy unless everything is at 75%, right? The problem is, the code without sufficient coverage is part of managed packages--installed apps. Is it really the case that I have to fix or get rid of other people's mistakes in order to be able to deploy my trigger?

I also just downloaded Eclipse with the Force.com IDE. Is that a better way to go to deploy my trigger?

Thanks for the help.  

I need to write over an existing, active trigger in production with a new, updated version, and do the same for a test class. What is the best way to do this? If I create a change set with the new version of the trigger and test and deploy them while the first version is still active, will it write over the first version? Or do I need to remove the old versions first?

I'm more comfortable using change sets, but can use Eclipse if needed to do this.

Thanks.

I need to send an email to a contact associated with a record (through a lookup field) one week before a date in the record's "End Date" field. 

I can't use workflow for this because the email doesn't go to a set contact, but rather it depends on the field contents. 

I can write an apex trigger to send the email, but how do I incorporate the time-dependent aspect? 

Would it work if I set a workflow rule to check a checkbox field a week before the deadline, and write the trigger to be an "on update" trigger and say that the field must be checked? Would the workflow-induced field update set off the trigger? 

I'm trying to have a field on my master object (Opportunity, field is called AFPAK_Student_Names__c) reflect the a field on all detail objects (Student_Assignment__c) meeting a certain criteria (Student_Assignment__c.status = Active) at any given time. Kind of like a text roll-up summary field. 

This trigger works just fine to add student names to the field when I add new Student Assignments with Status Active. However, what if I delete one or change the status? I want the field to reflect the change. 

In that case, is there a way to use Apex to test if the text field contains certain text (Student Name from the now non-active Student Assignment) and then remove just that? 

trigger StudentAssignmentClassUpdate on Student_Assignment__c (after insert) { 

if (trigger.isInsert){
Map<Id,Id> AssignmentToClassMap = new Map<Id,Id>();
for(Student_Assignment__c A : trigger.new)
           AssignmentToClassMap.put(A.Class__c,A.Id);

List<Opportunity> OppsToUpdate = new List<Opportunity>();

for (Opportunity TestOpp: [SELECT Id, AFPAK_Student_Names__c FROM Opportunity WHERE Id IN:  AssignmentToClassMap.keySet()])
    {
        Id TestOppId = AssignmentToClassMap.get(TestOpp.Id);
        Student_Assignment__c StudAss = trigger.newMap.get(TestOppId);

//CASE 1: if inserting a Student Assignment with status Active, add student name to AFPAK student names field        
if (StudAss.status__c=='Active'){
TestOpp.AFPAK_Student_Names__c =TestOpp.AFPAK_Student_Names__c+' '+[SELECT Name From Contact Where Id = :StudAss.Student_Name__c limit 1].Name;
OppsToUpdate.add(TestOpp);
}
}
if(OppsToUpdate != null && !OppsToUpdate.isEmpty())
Database.update(OppsToUpdate);
}
}

I have a complex trigger on Opportunities that is behaving exactly as I would like, but my test coverage is only at 88%. The trigger is after insert, after update, and after delete, and it's the after delete portion of the code that the test is not affecting. Here is a shortened version of the trigger showing just the after delete case. How would I go about testing this portion? I'm getting confused since it seems to be more complex than the after insert and after update cases. I tried to just create an opportunity and the related contact and then delete the opportunity and update the contact in my test, but I must need to do something else as well. Thanks for any insight. 

In a nutshell, what the trigger does is:  a contact is related to an opportunity by a lookup field on opportunity. When the opportunity is deleted, if its stage is Active, it decrements a counter field on the related contact (instructor). 

trigger InsertUpdateDelete on Opportunity (after insert, after update, after delete) {

if(trigger.isDelete){
  {
 Map<Id,Id> instructorsToOppsMap3 = new Map<Id,Id>();
 for(Opportunity A : system.trigger.old)
 	             instructorsToOppsMap3.put(A.InstructorName__c,A.Id);

List<Contact> contactsToUpdate3 = new List<Contact>();

for (Contact Instructor: [SELECT Id,Active_Count__c FROM Contact WHERE Id IN:  instructorsToOppsMap3.keySet()])
    {
	          Id oppId = instructorsToOppsMap3.get(Instructor.Id);
 	          Opportunity opp = system.trigger.oldMap.get(oppId);

Instructor.Active_Count__c=Instructor.Active_Count__c - 1;

contactsToUpdate3.add(instructor);
	         }
	  if(contactsToUpdate3 != null && !contactsToUpdate3.isEmpty())
 	          Database.update(contactsToUpdate3);
 	  }
 	  } 

Is it possible to use a custom button to create a new record? I'd like to put the button on a custom object (Task Order__c) and have it create a new Opportunity, pulling information from the Task Order into the Opportunity fields. I would also like to be able to specify the record type of the new Opportunity. I have cobbled this together based on some examples I found of other buttons. Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance.

Here is what I am trying:

{!REQUIRESCRIPT("/soap/ajax/22.0/connection.js")}
var newopportunity= new sforce.SObject("Opportunity");
newopportunity.Name = "my new opportunity";
newopportunity.Account="{!Task_Order__c.Account__c}";
newopportunity.StageName="Active";
newopportunity.CloseDate=new Date();
newopportunity.Student_Name__c="TBD";
var result = sforce.connection.create([newopportunity]);
window.location.reload();

Thanks for the help.  

I received some helpful feedback here to write a trigger on opportunity to update a field on a related contact, linked through a lookup field. I now understand how to do a simple field update on a picklist field on a related object.

I now need to write a revised version to actually increment or decrement a counter field (Active_Count__c) on the related contact. If Opp Stage = Active, Active_Count__c needs to be the previous value + 1. If Opp Stage is not Active, Active_Count__c needs to be the previous value -1. I'm not sure how to express the previous value or the addition/subtraction. I have question marks at those places in the code. 

Here is what I have so far: 

trigger OpportunityRelatedContact2 on Opportunity (after insert, after update) { 
{
Map<Id,Id> instructorsToOppsMap = new Map<Id,Id>();
for(Opportunity A : trigger.new)
           instructorsToOppsMap.put(A.InstructorName__c,A.Id);

List<Contact> contactsToUpdate = new List<Contact>{};

for (Contact Instructor: [SELECT Id,Active_Count__c FROM Contact WHERE Id IN:  instructorsToOppsMap.keySet()])
    {
        Id oppId = instructorsToOppsMap.get(Instructor.Id);
        Opportunity opp = trigger.newMap.get(oppId);
            Instructor.Active_Count__c= ???Active Count value + 1 ;
       }else {
       Instructor.Active_Count__c= ???Active Count value - 1;
             contactsToUpdate.add(instructor);
         }
}
if(contactsToUpdate != null && !contactsToUpdate.isEmpty())
        Database.update(contactsToUpdate);
}
}

Thanks for the input!

I posted a related question a little while back and got some good ideas, but I'm still struggling with writing my first trigger. It should be simple enough: 

Opportunity has a Contact related through a lookup field on Opportunity. When Opportunity stage is Active, I want related contact status (Instructor_Status__c; it's a picklist) to change to Employed. 

When Opportunity Stage is not Active, I want related contact status to change to Available. 

If it matters, Opportunity:Contact is One:Many. 

I have so far: 

trigger OpportunityRelatedContact on Opportunity (after insert, after update) { 
{
list<Contact> Listofinstructors = new list<Contact>();

for (Opportunity A : trigger.new)
{

Contact instructor = new Contact(Id = A.InstructorName__c);
listofinstructors.add(Instructor);

if(A.StageName=='Active'){
instructor.Instructor_status__c='Employed';}
}
}
}

It's obviously not there yet, and I don't know if I have the right approach. Any help is appreciated. 

Hi, 

I'm new to Apex, and want to create what I think is a pretty simple cross-object field update trigger. 

An Opportunity has an Instructor Name lookup to a Contact record. When I change the opportunity record to Active, I want a custom field to update the instructor employment status to Employed on the Contact record. Likewise, when Opportunity stage moves to Ended, I want Contact status to go to Available. 

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this? Thanks very much for your input.