• Member since 2014

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hi!
We are working on lightning transition and are meeting with our salesforce app users. One feedback we received consistently is that the existing "Contact" page is not very user friendly. 
We have many many to many relationship between contact object and other custom objects and use junction objects. 
Users want full 360 degree view of contacts when they see a contact page. 
Anyone willing to share their contact page screenshot  that is using either using visual force or lightning component or standard LEX pages with report charts ?
Or point me in the right direction to brainstrom how contact page can be structured to provide full contact overview?
Hi!

We currently have email relay to send the emails triggered by workflows.  The relay was setup 7-8 years ago and I was under the impression that the relay is needed so that from email address does not display "from salesforce on behalf of " and instead shows the actual sender email address.

I was testing this in sandbox and removed all the relays. The email I received in sandbox does not display "from salesforce" and actually displays the sender email address.

Has salesforce changed how the email from address is displayed? Is relaying still needed?

Thanks!
Jay
Hello!

Has anyone implemented a custom tagging functionality? business requirement is
1. It should be Reportable
2. Should be a mult tiered tagging list and people can choose tags from this tagging list to tag any custom or standard record in salesforce.
3. List be relatively easy to govern/maintain either by ssytem admins or a business admin

In both Topics and tagging the list can not be pre defined. are there any other standard or custom solutions taht you have implemented?

-Jay 

Hello,

We have a Date field that gets set in the 'before update' trigger. This date field is used in a formula field. This  formula field is in turn used to calculate another field in the trigger.

Questions:
1. Will the 'before update' trigger see the revised formula field value? Based on my testing, the answer appears to be No.
2. The 'after update' trigger also does not appear to have the revised formula field value. It appears that we must query the record again in the 'after update' trigger. 

Is the best way to query again in the after update to retreive the new formula field value? I have the recursion stopping static variable in the trigger supporting class. Is there any issue with that when we bulk upload the data using demand tools or data loader?

I am puzzled because we have had the 'before update' trigger working for an year  and the field was being calculated in the before update trigger. It stopped working recently. May be it was not supposed to work and the best solution has always been to requery in 'after update'?

Thank you!
Jay

Hi!

Users currently can download single content file in our application. We have href links for users to click to download individual files.

I have added checkbox in front of the content listing, for users to select the contents to bulk download. I am receiveing the list of Content Ids in the apex controller.

how can all the selected files be downloaded via apex?

Thanks!
Jay
We have a validation rule that uses ischanged on a long text field and on a rich text field. when either one of them is changed, the validation rule should fire. It appears that the ischanged() doesnt work with rich text field in validation rule and the rul fires even when the field isnt changed?  Has anyone experienced this issue?
Hello!

We are debating 2 solutions to custom lock records while users edit the record:

background: If user A is editing a record and if user B edits the recod at the same time, the changes get overwritten depending on the save sequence.

Solutions

1. use the last updated timestamp. cache the last updated timestamp when user clicks edits. when user clicks save, compare the current last updated timestamp with the cached timestamp. If they are different then display a warning message or disable the save button.

2. When a user clciks edit, set a recordLock custom field.  Display the edit button only if the recordLock field isnt set. when the user clicks cancel or save, reset the recordLock field so that its blank. Issue, if the user closes the browser without clicking cancel/save or if walks away leaving the window open in edit mode,  how do we reset the recodLock field?

I beleive option is most straightforward to implement and doesnt have any side effects. But might not be the most user friendly option because user will be notified of the record update only when they are trying to save.

we have custom object and visual force page.

Any thoughts? what methods have you implemented?

​-Jay
Hello experts,

This issue wasnt happeneing very frequently and it took us a long time to figure out what was causing it. But it was happening frequent enough that we had to keep our eyes open for the issue  We just figured out what was causing the issue and now we have to figure out a solution. Need help from experts.

We have custom visual force page on a custom object. Internal users can manually edit the record using the visual force page. some of the fields are also updated by our applicants using a portal and the data is brought in using an integrator (boomi). It appears that if the internal user has a prticular record open and while the record is open if boomi updates some of the fields in that record, when the internal user clicks save on the record, the old values that were in the field when they had initially opened the record gets saved back and hence the field updates done by portal/boomi gets reverted back.

I guess this situation will happen if 2 users open the same record and the second user opens and closes the record while the first user still has the record open.

Is there a solution to prevent this from happening?

Thanks for your input.

Hello!

Is there a way to import the formatted text field from excel? I used demand tools assuming data format will be preserved since the input file is excel. But it turns out that the data imported has stripped out all the new line characters. 
Data loader will not work because the input file will have to be csv and csv file does not preserve new line characters. 
Any suggestions on how I should import formatted data that has new line characters and paragraphs?

Thanks!
Jay
Hello!

We would look to duplicate a content in salesforce using apex. Is there a way to do that? I was hoping there will be a contentversion constructor that can receive the contentversion ID of a content and create a duplicate content. 
To provide the background information, We have a business process where we receive document from our applicants during one phase of the process. That document needs to be locked down when they enter to the next phase of the process. In the next phase of the process the will uploading a newer version of the document. If we use the same content from phase1 in to phase2, content they upload in phase2 will become newer version of the content rather than being its own content. Hence when the applicant enters from phase1 to phase2, the process that creates a phase2 record for the applicant should create a new content which is exact copy of the content they had provided. 
Hi,

I am building a pretty big changeset in test sandbox. It includes objects, fields, page layouts, classes, pages, triggers, workflow,  validation rules and profiles.
If any of those changes after I add it to changeset and before deploying to production, will the deploy take the latest changes or will it take the version when the file was added to changeset?

Thanks!
​Jay
Hello!

We use saleforce content to store files. We recently discovered a bug where in some cases our application was creating different content documents instead of saving them as different versions of the same document. We have since then fixed the bug. But now we have these previously created content that instead of being different versions of the same document are in the system as seprate documents. Is there a way we can make them as different versions of the same document? May be we can use data loader or some other tool and change the contentversionId or content document ID?

thanks!
Jay
Hello!

Currently we display a pageblocktable that  lists child records on a visual force page. We would like to display the parent name as well for each record.

for example we have 
Parent__c
Child__c
Lookup__c

Current Query is something like
[SELECT id,  Deliverable__c,
                Description__c, Parent__c
                FROM Child__c 
                WHERE Lookup__c=:Lookup_Id
               ];  

We want to add the Parent__c.Name to the SOQL.

FollowingSOQL works, butthe visual force page displays the error that the data is being displayed without retrieving. Visualforce page code is something like -   {!c.Parent__r.Name} .
                Description__c, Parent__r.Name
                FROM Child__c 
                WHERE Lookup__c=:Lookup_Id
               ];  

This gives a soql error that the relationship does not exist.
                Description__c, (select Name from Parent__r)
                FROM Child__c 
                WHERE Lookup__c=:Lookup_Id
               ];  

Wither my SOQL is wrong or may be there is a different way to display the parent name in the visual force page?

Thank you!
Jay
Hello!

How is the standard object 'content' that we see under 'customize' section in salesforce related to the 'conetnDocument' and 'contentVersion' standard objects? Is it as simple as 'content' is combination of 'contentDocument' and 'contentVersion' objects that are nehind the scenes?
Dear Salesforce wizards,

I need to create a data extract that has data from 4 objects using a join column. In SQL it can be achieved using an easy join. I am lost in SFDC! 
What I have tried -
Join report -Does not work because I can not download the data
forceExplorer - Does not work because it does not allow where clause
vlookup in excel - does not work because the data set is huge and freezes my computer

I am hopin there is an easy way (or a tool) to write SOQL and get this join report. My last resort will be to dump the excel data in to access and create a report. 

Is there any other option?
Is there a way to automatically Show More within the comments in a Chatter post, versus having to select teh button to "Show More"?
Hello experts,

This issue wasnt happeneing very frequently and it took us a long time to figure out what was causing it. But it was happening frequent enough that we had to keep our eyes open for the issue  We just figured out what was causing the issue and now we have to figure out a solution. Need help from experts.

We have custom visual force page on a custom object. Internal users can manually edit the record using the visual force page. some of the fields are also updated by our applicants using a portal and the data is brought in using an integrator (boomi). It appears that if the internal user has a prticular record open and while the record is open if boomi updates some of the fields in that record, when the internal user clicks save on the record, the old values that were in the field when they had initially opened the record gets saved back and hence the field updates done by portal/boomi gets reverted back.

I guess this situation will happen if 2 users open the same record and the second user opens and closes the record while the first user still has the record open.

Is there a solution to prevent this from happening?

Thanks for your input.

Hello!

Is there a way to import the formatted text field from excel? I used demand tools assuming data format will be preserved since the input file is excel. But it turns out that the data imported has stripped out all the new line characters. 
Data loader will not work because the input file will have to be csv and csv file does not preserve new line characters. 
Any suggestions on how I should import formatted data that has new line characters and paragraphs?

Thanks!
Jay
Hello!

We would look to duplicate a content in salesforce using apex. Is there a way to do that? I was hoping there will be a contentversion constructor that can receive the contentversion ID of a content and create a duplicate content. 
To provide the background information, We have a business process where we receive document from our applicants during one phase of the process. That document needs to be locked down when they enter to the next phase of the process. In the next phase of the process the will uploading a newer version of the document. If we use the same content from phase1 in to phase2, content they upload in phase2 will become newer version of the content rather than being its own content. Hence when the applicant enters from phase1 to phase2, the process that creates a phase2 record for the applicant should create a new content which is exact copy of the content they had provided. 

I have a requirement to download multiple files on a click of visual force button.

i know below will work if its a single file

<a href="/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file={!fileId}">

any clue about how to gain this for multiple files

Hi All,

I'll appreciate your help with the following issue.

I want to send an email alert every time a rich area field has changed. I used the IsChanged() formula.

It seems that every time the record is edited, even thought this specific field hasn't been touched.

Salesforce sees it as a change(I've been tracking history on this field).

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Thanks,

Avital.

• February 21, 2011