• 0 Points
  • Member since 2014

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Sorry to repeat a question, but I'm still not understanding workflow triggers.

We have a set of workflow rules that update fields based on a date field.  For example, Account Status on the account object is updated based on the latest contract end date.  So if the contract end date is tomorrow, the account status is "Active" if the latest contract end date was yesterday, the account status is updated to "Inactive".  

The workflow isn't working.  It will not update the Account Status field unless someone makes and saves a change to an Account object.  This means that we have lots of Accounts where the contract has expired, but the Status still shows "Active".  If I go into a field, make a change, and save the change, THEN the workflow fires.  This isn't a good solution.  We want the field to update whether or not someone saves a change to the account.

Is this a job for Apex, or does an Apex trigger ALSO require an account to be created or updated to fire?
Hello,

We have many workflow rules that update dates, statuses, and what not that are not working properly because the workflows only fire when someone updates an account or opp field and saves the change.  We're needing these types of rules to work without someone updating a record, based on dates.

Example: Opportunity has a contract end date of 12-31-2014.  We want the Account Status to update or a new opp created based on the contract end date minus 90 days (as an example).  And we'd like that to update whether or not someone makes a change to the account and saves the change (which seems to be required under workflow rules).

Will Apex triggers accomplish this?  If so, I'm planning on learning basic Apex coding to do simple triggers.  If not, then we may have to hire someone outside to come in to do this.

Thanks!
Sorry to repeat a question, but I'm still not understanding workflow triggers.

We have a set of workflow rules that update fields based on a date field.  For example, Account Status on the account object is updated based on the latest contract end date.  So if the contract end date is tomorrow, the account status is "Active" if the latest contract end date was yesterday, the account status is updated to "Inactive".  

The workflow isn't working.  It will not update the Account Status field unless someone makes and saves a change to an Account object.  This means that we have lots of Accounts where the contract has expired, but the Status still shows "Active".  If I go into a field, make a change, and save the change, THEN the workflow fires.  This isn't a good solution.  We want the field to update whether or not someone saves a change to the account.

Is this a job for Apex, or does an Apex trigger ALSO require an account to be created or updated to fire?
Hello,

We have many workflow rules that update dates, statuses, and what not that are not working properly because the workflows only fire when someone updates an account or opp field and saves the change.  We're needing these types of rules to work without someone updating a record, based on dates.

Example: Opportunity has a contract end date of 12-31-2014.  We want the Account Status to update or a new opp created based on the contract end date minus 90 days (as an example).  And we'd like that to update whether or not someone makes a change to the account and saves the change (which seems to be required under workflow rules).

Will Apex triggers accomplish this?  If so, I'm planning on learning basic Apex coding to do simple triggers.  If not, then we may have to hire someone outside to come in to do this.

Thanks!