• 0 Points
  • Member since 2011

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Apologies for opening with a broad scale question -- (my background = 12+year veteran developer/DBA  .NET/Java/SQLServer/MySQL/Oracle, so talk tech = ok).

I am exploring mirroring some of our data storage into Salesforce (Enterprise) directly so that we can maintain some syncronization of data between local systems and the cloud.  We have SQL objects/tables that hold what I'd call "after-sales facts" that is "true" data the company runs many metrics on.

I'm considering mirroring that existing structure as-IS for the objects/fields I want and then pushing up data to those custom objects from our SQL prod DB.  There are relationships to SObjects (Opportunities, Contacts, etc) that we carry in the datasets, so mapping the relationships to the new objects is easy. 

My question is -- what's the "Gotcha" here?  Is there a limit to the capacity or usefulness within Salesforce reporting if the relationships get complex.  Example Opportunities relates to CustomObj -- reports fine.   But if Opportunities relates to CustomObj1, which is related to CustomObj2,3,and4, where the relationship between CustomObj1 & CustomObj2 is 1-to-many....   see where this is going? 

Is it better to push things in a "Relationship" design, keeping both systems so they're 1-to-1 between cloud & local, or should the cloud system be customized (i.e. flattened out for example) so the GUI knows how to use it. Etc.   Also keep in mind how the answer affects standard IT things;

1. Time to deliver

2. Interface ease of use

3. Code complexity & supportability

4. Long term use & disaster recovery.

Hopefully some experienced Dev/DBA people know where I'm coming from here.  (Also if there's a good resource for reading I'm glad to take that as well).  In answering, assume most datasets will range from 100k to 500k tops, with an occassional million record table.

• December 05, 2011

Is there any way to set an  existing Trigger to InActive from SOAP code.  We have some trigger/apex classes that will need to be refactored b/c they do not function well with Batch Update type logic -- but until I can do that -- I can disable the trigger in the GUI and continue on.   

This code I'm writing will be a nightly batch, so Ideally i'd like to Disable / RunData Sync / Enable said triggers all from .NET methods.  I see there's an ApexTrigger object that the Ent WSDL gives me access to, but how do i use that to find the trigger I want?  (or can i)

• December 01, 2011

Hopefully a quick question:  we are integrating our call log data straight into Salesforce via Tasks associated to Leads.  It works beautifully, however on the Activity History screen on the Lead, the Created Date shows up 9/27/2011, not 9/27/2011 2:15pm.  The "Modified" field we have shows perfectly, full DateTime format. 

How can I change the screen to show the full format?  If i drill into the task, I see the data is correctly displayed/stored.   Am I just daft and not seeing some simple "format" option on the Lead layout?

• September 27, 2011

Admitting I'm not 100% in tune with Eclipse's life/software cycle -- regarding the Force.com IDE install:  I've been tasked to do an install on a few machine/VMs, all currently with either NO version of JavaVM, or 1.5.stoneAge versions. No current Eclipse versions installed either. 

Any thoughts if I should do the whole JSE/JDK 7 download & install, or is it better for now to stick with the Java 6 latest + the Force.com IDE install?

• September 26, 2011

The unique tokens that Salesforce gives to items -- can someone confirm if newer items will always have a greaterThan relationship than previous items?   I've noticed this pattern for months and have discovered internally we have some programming against it.    

Example:  select max(LeadID) from Lead group by Phone ' -->  The newest record created by phone number

Yes I know doing it by date in the query would be better, but does the above logic always hold true as it seems to for the past year+ that we've had our system?   I'm trying to figure out if I have to refactor a bunch of custom code if the answer is no.

• August 23, 2011

Hello all.  Hopefully a simple question; is there anywhere I can go to see what some expected benchmarks regarding data load and communication speed should be?  

For example; using our Enterprise WSDL, I just completed a test loop of Lead Inserts that worked around 100 Leads Per Minute.  To me that seems very slow.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?  Eventually the types of tasks (and scale)  I have to complete for my organization will be as follows below.   Prior to tackling those items, I'm looking to get an idea of best approaches.:

1.  alteration of our Lead database mess (probably 1.5 mill record update/delete)

2.  edit Lat & Long of leads (500,000+ at least)

3.  campaign Member refresh (500,000 at least).

(I was considering using some of the SQL Server CLR in conjunction with web WSDL messages, but I am rethinking this approach at the moment)

Apologies for opening with a broad scale question -- (my background = 12+year veteran developer/DBA  .NET/Java/SQLServer/MySQL/Oracle, so talk tech = ok).

I am exploring mirroring some of our data storage into Salesforce (Enterprise) directly so that we can maintain some syncronization of data between local systems and the cloud.  We have SQL objects/tables that hold what I'd call "after-sales facts" that is "true" data the company runs many metrics on.

I'm considering mirroring that existing structure as-IS for the objects/fields I want and then pushing up data to those custom objects from our SQL prod DB.  There are relationships to SObjects (Opportunities, Contacts, etc) that we carry in the datasets, so mapping the relationships to the new objects is easy. 

My question is -- what's the "Gotcha" here?  Is there a limit to the capacity or usefulness within Salesforce reporting if the relationships get complex.  Example Opportunities relates to CustomObj -- reports fine.   But if Opportunities relates to CustomObj1, which is related to CustomObj2,3,and4, where the relationship between CustomObj1 & CustomObj2 is 1-to-many....   see where this is going? 

Is it better to push things in a "Relationship" design, keeping both systems so they're 1-to-1 between cloud & local, or should the cloud system be customized (i.e. flattened out for example) so the GUI knows how to use it. Etc.   Also keep in mind how the answer affects standard IT things;

1. Time to deliver

2. Interface ease of use

3. Code complexity & supportability

4. Long term use & disaster recovery.

Hopefully some experienced Dev/DBA people know where I'm coming from here.  (Also if there's a good resource for reading I'm glad to take that as well).  In answering, assume most datasets will range from 100k to 500k tops, with an occassional million record table.

• December 05, 2011

Is there any way to set an  existing Trigger to InActive from SOAP code.  We have some trigger/apex classes that will need to be refactored b/c they do not function well with Batch Update type logic -- but until I can do that -- I can disable the trigger in the GUI and continue on.   

This code I'm writing will be a nightly batch, so Ideally i'd like to Disable / RunData Sync / Enable said triggers all from .NET methods.  I see there's an ApexTrigger object that the Ent WSDL gives me access to, but how do i use that to find the trigger I want?  (or can i)

• December 01, 2011

Admitting I'm not 100% in tune with Eclipse's life/software cycle -- regarding the Force.com IDE install:  I've been tasked to do an install on a few machine/VMs, all currently with either NO version of JavaVM, or 1.5.stoneAge versions. No current Eclipse versions installed either. 

Any thoughts if I should do the whole JSE/JDK 7 download & install, or is it better for now to stick with the Java 6 latest + the Force.com IDE install?

• September 26, 2011

The unique tokens that Salesforce gives to items -- can someone confirm if newer items will always have a greaterThan relationship than previous items?   I've noticed this pattern for months and have discovered internally we have some programming against it.    

Example:  select max(LeadID) from Lead group by Phone ' -->  The newest record created by phone number

Yes I know doing it by date in the query would be better, but does the above logic always hold true as it seems to for the past year+ that we've had our system?   I'm trying to figure out if I have to refactor a bunch of custom code if the answer is no.

• August 23, 2011

Hello all.  Hopefully a simple question; is there anywhere I can go to see what some expected benchmarks regarding data load and communication speed should be?  

For example; using our Enterprise WSDL, I just completed a test loop of Lead Inserts that worked around 100 Leads Per Minute.  To me that seems very slow.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?  Eventually the types of tasks (and scale)  I have to complete for my organization will be as follows below.   Prior to tackling those items, I'm looking to get an idea of best approaches.:

1.  alteration of our Lead database mess (probably 1.5 mill record update/delete)

2.  edit Lat & Long of leads (500,000+ at least)

3.  campaign Member refresh (500,000 at least).

(I was considering using some of the SQL Server CLR in conjunction with web WSDL messages, but I am rethinking this approach at the moment)

I was wondering if anyone has come across this API return message:

[message] => field integrity exception: PricebookEntryId, unknown (versions 3.0 and higher must specify pricebook entry id; others must specify product id)

I have not seen this, but I do understand what is asking. The reason why I am posting this is because:

How are we supposed to know what the version is when we are creating an opportunity line item?

If somone could please share that with me, I will be greatful

Thanks,

~Mike