• Member since 2004

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Sorry for all of these questions. Hopefully my last one for a bit:

I'm using the SOAP 2.5 API and the a user with System Administrator privileges.
In the past (less than a month ago) I was able to update the ParentId field for Attachments and Notes. For some reason, this has ceased to work now, it seems. DescribeSObject still tells me I have the permissions to do as such, but I get back a INVALID_FIELD_FOR_INSERT_UPDATE error with the message 'bad field names on insert/update call: ParentId'. ParentId has worked, and is listed under Notes and Attachments in both the 2.5 and 3.0 enterprise.wsdl files. My other updates of Id fields are working perfectly. Thanks for the help, if anyone has any insight. Here is a copy of the body of a failed update request:

<ns0:update ns1:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
xmlns:ns0="urn:partner.soap.sforce.com" xmlns:ns1="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
<sObjects ns2:type="ns3:Attachment" xmlns:ns2="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xmlns:ns3="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<Id ns2:type="ns0:ID">
00P30000000dtecEAA
</Id>
<ParentId ns2:type="ns0:ID">
00130000001idkEAAQ
</ParentId>
</sObjects>
</ns0:update>

And a copy of a successful update request made at the same time with the same code on a different loop iteration on a Contact record:

<ns0:update ns1:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
xmlns:ns0="urn:partner.soap.sforce.com" xmlns:ns1="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
<sObjects ns2:type="ns3:Contact" xmlns:ns2="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xmlns:ns3="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<Id ns2:type="ns0:ID">
00330000001A3niAAC
</Id>
<AccountId ns2:type="ns0:ID">
00130000001idkEAAQ
</AccountId>
</sObjects>
</ns0:update>
Another quick question.
The SalesForce documentation says both that servers will always be in utf-8 and iso8859-1 encodings, but it also says that it supports such languages as Japanese and Korean whose characters do not fall within those two encodings. How is this handled?

Many thanks.

James Fraumeni
james.fraumeni@activeprime.com
I noticed that rate limiting was back in 3.0, and have been looking around, but can't tell if it affects the 2.5 API. I'm using the SOAP interface, and was wondering:

1. If rate limiting affects the 2.5 API (I read in this posting that it did not affect the 2.5 API, but it is a pre-3.0-release posting)

2. If there is a way, then, to simulate rate limit conditions with the 2.5 API.

I did find this writeup on the topic, but it gives no implementation specifics.

Thank you very much!

James Fraumeni
Question - how do we know which relationships are parent/child and hence will implement cascading deletes, and which are just considered references, and hence will not allow the referenced object to be deleted.
Thank you very much!

James Fraumeni

(When I ask this, I'm referring to the two bullets in the documentation:
-If a client application deletes an object instance, then its children are
automatically deleted as well (cascading deletes). For example, if a client
application deletes an opportunity, then any associated opportunity line items
are also deleted.
-A client application cannot delete an object instance if it is referenced
by another object instance. For example, a client application cannot delete a
particular Account instance if the AccountId field in an Opportunity instance
references the ID of that account.)
I'm probably missing something, but I was wondering if there was a way through the SOAP 2.5 API of finding what fields/objects the logged in user had permission to view and/or change. There are a number of fields in different records with "Permissions" in their name, but even when I'm logged in as the master administrator, I am not allowed to retrieve those.

Thanks muchly.
James Fraumeni
Hello. I have a question about Contact merging. I was wondering how records with fields pointing to the deleted Contact were handled. Are they all automatically updated to point to the new Contacts? Are there cases where any of these records themselves get deleted or merged, and if so, what about other fields they reference/that reference them?
As far as I can tell, these are other Contacts, with their ReportsToId, Leads, with their ConvertedContactId field, Attatchments and Notes, with their ParentId field, Tasks and Events, with their WhoId field, and OpportunityContactRoles with their ContactId field.

Thanks, and sorry for the bother.

James Fraumeni
Three distinct questions/observations that aren't really related. FYI I'm using the SOAP API 2.5.

1. Why is it that more often than not, if there is something wrong with a query, rather than get a SalesForce server-returned error message, I just get an HTTP 500 Error (Internal Server Error.) To name one example, if I perform a query looking for field "FirstName" from the "Contact" record, I get back all of my Contact's First Names, but if I perform the identical query but for "Name" instead (which does not exist in Contacts,) I do not get a InvalidFieldFault as documented, but the 500 error.

2. The documentation states that deleting a record will delete it's children automatically. However, in at least the case of parent and child Accounts, this is not the case (deleting a parent account only deletes the reference to that parent in the child.) The example used in the documentation (deleting a Case deleting its referenced CaseComment and CaseHistory) also does not end in a cascading delete. Which, if any, cases do trigger cascading deletes?

3. Is there the concept of pairs of records with strict 1:1 relationships in SalesForce?

Thank you very much, sorry for the range of questions. For future reference, do the moderators prefer splitting posts like these up into three separate posts?
I am guessing the answer to these is just that the documentation is not in sync with the implementation yet, but figured I'd post this at least as a bug report.

Thanks!

James Fraumeni

Hello. I was just wondering if there was a set place where documentation errata might be found/reported (besides the message boards, as I have only found one thread mentioning errata.) Thank you very much, I've found these boards incredibly helpful in almost all cases.

James Fraumeni

I noticed that rate limiting was back in 3.0, and have been looking around, but can't tell if it affects the 2.5 API. I'm using the SOAP interface, and was wondering:

1. If rate limiting affects the 2.5 API (I read in this posting that it did not affect the 2.5 API, but it is a pre-3.0-release posting)

2. If there is a way, then, to simulate rate limit conditions with the 2.5 API.

I did find this writeup on the topic, but it gives no implementation specifics.

Thank you very much!

James Fraumeni
I'm probably missing something, but I was wondering if there was a way through the SOAP 2.5 API of finding what fields/objects the logged in user had permission to view and/or change. There are a number of fields in different records with "Permissions" in their name, but even when I'm logged in as the master administrator, I am not allowed to retrieve those.

Thanks muchly.
James Fraumeni
Three distinct questions/observations that aren't really related. FYI I'm using the SOAP API 2.5.

1. Why is it that more often than not, if there is something wrong with a query, rather than get a SalesForce server-returned error message, I just get an HTTP 500 Error (Internal Server Error.) To name one example, if I perform a query looking for field "FirstName" from the "Contact" record, I get back all of my Contact's First Names, but if I perform the identical query but for "Name" instead (which does not exist in Contacts,) I do not get a InvalidFieldFault as documented, but the 500 error.

2. The documentation states that deleting a record will delete it's children automatically. However, in at least the case of parent and child Accounts, this is not the case (deleting a parent account only deletes the reference to that parent in the child.) The example used in the documentation (deleting a Case deleting its referenced CaseComment and CaseHistory) also does not end in a cascading delete. Which, if any, cases do trigger cascading deletes?

3. Is there the concept of pairs of records with strict 1:1 relationships in SalesForce?

Thank you very much, sorry for the range of questions. For future reference, do the moderators prefer splitting posts like these up into three separate posts?
I am guessing the answer to these is just that the documentation is not in sync with the implementation yet, but figured I'd post this at least as a bug report.

Thanks!

James Fraumeni