• 10 Points
  • Member since 2004

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Am I correct in my understanding that relationships can only be defined for custom objects, although those definitions may relate custom objects to standard objects?

If I am wrong, how does one define an additional relationship between standard objects?

I am trying to relate closed opportunities to contracts. I don't see any standard relationship between opportunities and contracts, and I don't see how to make a custom relationship.

How do people transfer/associate information from an opportunity to a contract? Was it never intended that closed opportunities would flow to contracts, or am I missing something?

Thanks.
I am unable to set up Workflow Rules for custom objects using the SalesForce.com UI because the "Type of Record" drop-down is only populated with pre-defined SalesForce.com objects. Am I missing a step, or are Workflow Rules only for pre-defined objects?
Am I correct in my understanding that relationships can only be defined for custom objects, although those definitions may relate custom objects to standard objects?

If I am wrong, how does one define an additional relationship between standard objects?

I am trying to relate closed opportunities to contracts. I don't see any standard relationship between opportunities and contracts, and I don't see how to make a custom relationship.

How do people transfer/associate information from an opportunity to a contract? Was it never intended that closed opportunities would flow to contracts, or am I missing something?

Thanks.
I am unable to set up Workflow Rules for custom objects using the SalesForce.com UI because the "Type of Record" drop-down is only populated with pre-defined SalesForce.com objects. Am I missing a step, or are Workflow Rules only for pre-defined objects?
I have been tasked to utilize salesforce as the main repository for all our business information, but at the same time have changes made in salesforce propagate in real time to various external back-end systems within our company. Since salesforce doesn't yet support an event-driven programming model, I have been thinking about work-arounds:

1. Polling - use the timestamp feature to look for items that have changed since the last poll and update accordingly. Polling is somewhat cumbersome, and only partially real time at best, particularly with the 5-minute polling interval that salesforce enforces.

2. Workflow Alert - set up a workflow alert to email my back-end system when changes of interest are made to salesforce, then have my back-end system call back into sforce to get the update. This seems pretty hokey to me. Email was never meant to be used in a mission-critical manner like this. At the very least I would also have to implement polling to pick up any changes missed from lost email.

3. Web Integration Link - rather than having changes made directly to salesforce, have the user access a custom web integration link (URL or control) that accesses my back-end system and then, either directly through a control or indirectly through my back-end system, calls the sforce API to commit the changes to salesforce.

Right now I am leaning towards option three.

Has anyone else faced a similar problem and, if so, how did you approach it? Have I missed any alternatives or failed to consider an important consequence of any of the alternatives I did list?

Thanks