• Member since 2010

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hi Folks,

I need your help/thoughts.  I am loading Account records using Data Loader Command Line Interface. The Account has about 600,000 records with almost 70 to 80 fields.  Account data load takes about 20 hours to load.  Bulk API is used with parallel mode and the size of the batch is set to 6,000.  When I set the size to 10,000, it take over 10 mins to complete, thus, throws timeout error. So, I am going with 6,000.

One of the question I have is although the Bulk API is used with parallel mode, I don't see multiple batches running in parallel.  I would think that if the feature is set to parallel, then the batches should run in parallel.  But I always see batches running in sequetial.

In addition to the above problem, is there any tuning/settings that you recommend to improve the performance?

Thanks!

• March 18, 2011

Hi,

I read at some documentation that in Force.com, there are two types of applications: pre-built, standard apps that can be customizable and custom app. I can't find that documentation and I was wondering if this is true. I know we can create custom application in Force.com. Is there a link that provides the list of standard applications provided by Force.com?

Thanks a bunch in advance for your kind response!

Hi guys,

I read at many places that Force.com provides a native connectors for Oracle, SAP and others. I can't seem to find a documents/links to read detail regarding those specific connectors. Could you please guide me to the right resource to read more about connectors offering by Force.com?

Thanks as always!

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to understand how Apex Batch works. Does Apex Batch do Job partioning? Below snippet is from the following link: http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/index_Left.htm#StartTopic=Content%2Fapex_batch_interface.htm|SkinName=webhelp

"Each execution of a batch Apex job is considered a discrete transaction. For example, a batch Apex job that contains 1,000 records and is executed without the optional scope parameter from Database.executeBatch is considered five transactions of 200 records each. The Apex governor limits are reset for each transaction. If the first transaction succeeds but the second fails, the database updates made in the first transaction are not rolled back."

Based on above snippet, does Apex Batch executes the five transactions at a same time, like parellel processing? Or does it just executes the chunk of 200 records at a time sequentially? I am assuming it runs all five parllely. Please shed some lights.

Also, the start method of Database.Batchable Interface returns QueryLocator, does it return all the data in one call? Just trying to understand what QueryLocator does.

Thanks so much in advance! I'll look forward to your postings :-)

Regards!

Hello everyone,

I have a scenerio where I need to show multiple sObjects ( for eg: Account, Contact etc) information in the same page in one request. If I am correct, I think I can create a custom controller which can invoke these objects to retrieve the data. The question I have is the controller can be bind to only one sObject at a time, in this case Account or Contact. So, Should I create an another custom object which will have these two sObjects as an attribute so that I can bind the custom object to the custom controller for just rendering purpose?  What is the best design approach?

Thanks for your valuable response in advance!

Hello All,

I am very new to the Force.com. The question I have is how is validation rule gets executed on a given object?  I see that validation rules are set within the sobjects/custom objects itself. For example, if I want to set validation rules on Account tab, then I would go to Account object to set validation rules. What I am having a hard time understanding from a design/sequential flow is who calls the validation rules? Is the Controller responsible for calling the validation rules on sObject/custom object before saving the data in the database?

Regards!

Hello everyone,

I am very new to Force.com. I am currently go through various documentation/article to understand Force.com technology. I have a question on a code snippet (please see below)  from "Visualforce Developer's Guide".

My question comes from the line "this.acct = (Account)stdController.getRecord();". How does the StandardController knows to retrieve Account record without providing any information pertaining to Account to StandarController. If for example, if I substitue the casting of (Account) to (Contacts), will I get the record information of Contacts?

public class myControllerExtension {
private final Account acct;
// The extension constructor initializes the private member
// variable acct by using the getRecord method from the standard
// controller.
public myControllerExtension(ApexPages.StandardController stdController) {
this.acct = (Account)stdController.getRecord();
}
public String getGreeting() {
return 'Hello ' + acct.name + ' (' + acct.id + ')';
}
}

Regards!

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to understand how Apex Batch works. Does Apex Batch do Job partioning? Below snippet is from the following link: http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/index_Left.htm#StartTopic=Content%2Fapex_batch_interface.htm|SkinName=webhelp

"Each execution of a batch Apex job is considered a discrete transaction. For example, a batch Apex job that contains 1,000 records and is executed without the optional scope parameter from Database.executeBatch is considered five transactions of 200 records each. The Apex governor limits are reset for each transaction. If the first transaction succeeds but the second fails, the database updates made in the first transaction are not rolled back."

Based on above snippet, does Apex Batch executes the five transactions at a same time, like parellel processing? Or does it just executes the chunk of 200 records at a time sequentially? I am assuming it runs all five parllely. Please shed some lights.

Also, the start method of Database.Batchable Interface returns QueryLocator, does it return all the data in one call? Just trying to understand what QueryLocator does.

Thanks so much in advance! I'll look forward to your postings :-)

Regards!

Hello everyone,

I have a scenerio where I need to show multiple sObjects ( for eg: Account, Contact etc) information in the same page in one request. If I am correct, I think I can create a custom controller which can invoke these objects to retrieve the data. The question I have is the controller can be bind to only one sObject at a time, in this case Account or Contact. So, Should I create an another custom object which will have these two sObjects as an attribute so that I can bind the custom object to the custom controller for just rendering purpose?  What is the best design approach?

Hello All,

I am very new to the Force.com. The question I have is how is validation rule gets executed on a given object?  I see that validation rules are set within the sobjects/custom objects itself. For example, if I want to set validation rules on Account tab, then I would go to Account object to set validation rules. What I am having a hard time understanding from a design/sequential flow is who calls the validation rules? Is the Controller responsible for calling the validation rules on sObject/custom object before saving the data in the database?

Regards!

Hello everyone,

I am very new to Force.com. I am currently go through various documentation/article to understand Force.com technology. I have a question on a code snippet (please see below)  from "Visualforce Developer's Guide".

My question comes from the line "this.acct = (Account)stdController.getRecord();". How does the StandardController knows to retrieve Account record without providing any information pertaining to Account to StandarController. If for example, if I substitue the casting of (Account) to (Contacts), will I get the record information of Contacts?

public class myControllerExtension {
private final Account acct;
// The extension constructor initializes the private member
// variable acct by using the getRecord method from the standard
// controller.
public myControllerExtension(ApexPages.StandardController stdController) {
this.acct = (Account)stdController.getRecord();
}
public String getGreeting() {
return 'Hello ' + acct.name + ' (' + acct.id + ')';
}
}

Regards!