• Developer Evangelist
  • salesforce.com

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
My ''Anti-Hate'' app idea is a sure winner. Will launch startup after hackathon. Need top-flight developers and designers quickly. More info at www.meetup.com/Hackathon-Derived-Startups-San-Francisco

Hi,

I signed up for Force.com free edition and then created a custom object, custom tab & custom app. Then I created another user and assigned profile "Force.com - Free User" to the user. 

I then edited profile "Force.com - Free User" and assigned the custom app to as "Visible" and "Default".

However when this user is now logging on to the system, he is not able to view the custom tab and the object. I tried a lot of different combinations but its not working.

Anyone has any idea on how to resolve this ?

Thanks & Regards,

Ashish

http://www.asagarwal.com

Hello all,

I came across an interesting situation today that I have not seen before.

I am trying to add functionality to our products to update my live site with the amount of storage a customer can use based on the products they have. It is possible in my system to have multiple products with a different amount of storage that should add to the total storage.

I applied a value to the product for storage and we use an Account Products custom object to assign products to customers. This storage field is passed to the account product which I would like to total the amount of storage allocated at the account level.

Initially, I thought I would be able to use a Roll-Up Summary field to sum this amount from the account products assigned to the account to give me a total storage available. Apparently, you cannot sum formula fields from another object even if they use a number (ie Product -> Account Product -> Account).

Can anyone think of a way to accomplish this?

Mark

• September 03, 2009

I've searched around, but I can't find a solution to this:

In an effort to bypass the fact the Opportunity Products cannot be referenced in a formula, I'm attempting to use a Roll-Up Summary field, but its not working as I had hoped. My steps are:

1) In "Products", there is a Customer Checkbox labeled "Beta"

2) In "Opportunity Products", there is a Custom Number (0 decimal places)  Formula field named "Betalook". The formula states:

IF(PricebookEntry.Product2.Beta__c,1,0)

So, any "Opportunity Product" entry whose Price Book item has the "Beta" box checked will show a 1 in this field, and a 0 otherwise.

In "Opportunities", I want to create a Custom Roll-Up Summary field ("Betacount") that will count the number of Opportunity Product entries that have a 1 in the "Betalook" field.

1) I start a new Custom Field in Opportunity, choosing "Roll-Up Summary" as the type

2) I name it "Betacount"

3) I choose "Opportunity Product" as the Summarized Object and "COUNT" as the Roll-Up Type.

4) I choose the "Only records meeting certain criteria..." radio button.

The problem is that in my choices for "Field" in the criteria, the "Betalook" field is not available. It is also not an available field in the "Field to aggregate" picklist if I choose SUM, MIN, or MAX. The Roll-Up Summary help files states: "Roll-up summary fields can calculate the values of formula fields if they do not contain functions that automatically derive values on the fly, such as NOW or TODAY." So, why can't I filter on the field? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to create a validation rule that requires the lookup field be filled in.  I have tried ISNULL ="" LEN=0 to no avail. 

Anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

We are trying to label all the fields in Salesforce with Help Text labels; but you can only create these for custom fields.  Is there a way to create Help Text label for fields that come standartd?

Thanks.

Andrea

Message Edited by pallavic237 on 02-15-2008 11:06 AM

Fresh off the press, the ultimate landing page for all formula newbies who desire to be gurus:

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/An_Introduction_to_Formulas

I am very open to constructive feedback on this article (it is very easy to edit), so please let me know what you think.

- Mary

Warning: Shameless self-promotion!  :smileywink:

Check out our live webinar this Wednesday to see how you can leverage formulas, workflow, and approvals to make your applications smarter.  Click here to register!

During the free live webinar, you will:

• Get up to speed on the latest Force.com capabilities for admins, new developers and business analysts
  • Pose your toughest questions to the expert product managers behind these platform features
  • Whet your appetite with a sneak peek at new features coming in the Winter '09 release
  • Learn how to build a complete, complex approval workflow

Hello,

Does
 Salesforce Connected Native Android App quialifies for this competetion.
Hi,

To start off, thank you for hosting one of the few Los Angeles summer hackathons.  I have some very pressing questions about the rules.

I had trouble figuring out not only what is allowed for the competition, but also what is required.  The rules semi-clearly state that every submission is required to use the Salesforce Development Environment.  Is this true?  In that case, would it not make a whole lot of sense to study up on iOS 8 (for example) in preparation for the hackathon?

Also, if my hunches about the required use of the Salesforce Development Environment are true, I would like some guidance on the kinds of creations this hackathon is trying to facilitate?

Many thanks!

I've an idea but due to last minute changes; no team.  Anyone ready to hack; looking for inspiration -- give me a shout. 

My ''Anti-Hate'' app idea is a sure winner. Will launch startup after hackathon. Need top-flight developers and designers quickly. More info at www.meetup.com/Hackathon-Derived-Startups-San-Francisco

I just signed up for the Hackthon and looking to join a great existing team!

I have Computer Science background but my expertise is in figuring out monetization, user acquisition and growth strategy.  I can also help figure out your market size, competitive analysis, user research and basically build a kickass presentation.  Judges love a good presentation!

Please contact me with your team info if interested. Thanks!

• November 07, 2013

I have created a button on the Contact Object whcih will create a new Case and prepolulate many fields of the case.  I have logic in the code that looks to see if it's one reocrd type, create a Case with record type1.  Otherwise, create a case with record type2.  I am now trying to fill a picklist field on the Case with a specific value based upon a couple of variables which exist on the Account.  For some reason, it appears that I cannot accuratley put a condition whcih exists on the account?

&FieldID={!Case(Account.Field1__c ,
"Value1",(If(Account.Field2__c=True,"1","2")),
"Value2",(If(Account.Field2__c=True,"1","3"))"") }

I know the sytax is partially correct, becasue if I substuitute Account.Field1__c with Contact.Field1__c I see better resutls, but I still need to act upon a value that is in Account.Field2__c.  Can this be accomplished in basic button coding or is the only way to reference an account field with Apex or Java?

Any help would be appreciated.

• September 04, 2013

Is there anyway to increase the number of RSF on a Mater Object. Thanks

Hi,

I signed up for Force.com free edition and then created a custom object, custom tab & custom app. Then I created another user and assigned profile "Force.com - Free User" to the user. 

I then edited profile "Force.com - Free User" and assigned the custom app to as "Visible" and "Default".

However when this user is now logging on to the system, he is not able to view the custom tab and the object. I tried a lot of different combinations but its not working.

Anyone has any idea on how to resolve this ?

Thanks & Regards,

Ashish

http://www.asagarwal.com

I tried many things on how to customize this but find nothing effective. I want to put a text message on the Page Layout I created, how can I do that? Anyone who know how to configure this? Please help me again.

i have a custom object.

i want to override this custom object's home tab.

how do i begin to do this?

salesforce developer guide is not helping me in any way. 

thanks guys.

Hello all,

I came across an interesting situation today that I have not seen before.

I am trying to add functionality to our products to update my live site with the amount of storage a customer can use based on the products they have. It is possible in my system to have multiple products with a different amount of storage that should add to the total storage.

I applied a value to the product for storage and we use an Account Products custom object to assign products to customers. This storage field is passed to the account product which I would like to total the amount of storage allocated at the account level.

Initially, I thought I would be able to use a Roll-Up Summary field to sum this amount from the account products assigned to the account to give me a total storage available. Apparently, you cannot sum formula fields from another object even if they use a number (ie Product -> Account Product -> Account).

Can anyone think of a way to accomplish this?

Mark

• September 03, 2009

Back for some formula field assistance.  I am working with our IT team to set up a hierarchy structure on SFDC User records so they can trigger some dashboards off that info.  So I went to create the fields that they need . . . I have lookup fields on a user record that can be used to look up other SFDC users and put them into a spot on the hierarchy.  Those lookups bring back other data from that "manager user" record and shows them on the sales rep's user record (So on Sales Rep #1's user record, there is a lookup for Manager #1 (2, 3, 4, etc) and by selecting that person it returns data for that manager and puts it on the sales rep record for reference).  Hope that makes sense.  Anyway, it all works fine EXCEPT for one thing.  I want to have a field that pulls in another Manager field--but it's a picklist on the Manager User record.  And I get syntax errors when I try to do a formula field on the Sales Rep record to bring back the Manager User field value from that picklist.

So my question is . . . how do I build a formula field that can simply return the text based off a picklist driven field???  So if the Manager User record value selected from a picklist is "Country Manager", then how can I pull that Country Manager value to the Sales Rep user record?  I really want to use a picklist on the Managr record, otherwise I will run into data inconsistencies.

Any suggestions?  Can this be done?

How can make it to only one column in page layout screen? By default they are 2 columns. Since I have big text field and I would like to spread the text box till to the boarder.

Thanks

• May 21, 2009

I've searched around, but I can't find a solution to this:

In an effort to bypass the fact the Opportunity Products cannot be referenced in a formula, I'm attempting to use a Roll-Up Summary field, but its not working as I had hoped. My steps are:

1) In "Products", there is a Customer Checkbox labeled "Beta"

2) In "Opportunity Products", there is a Custom Number (0 decimal places)  Formula field named "Betalook". The formula states:

IF(PricebookEntry.Product2.Beta__c,1,0)

So, any "Opportunity Product" entry whose Price Book item has the "Beta" box checked will show a 1 in this field, and a 0 otherwise.

In "Opportunities", I want to create a Custom Roll-Up Summary field ("Betacount") that will count the number of Opportunity Product entries that have a 1 in the "Betalook" field.

1) I start a new Custom Field in Opportunity, choosing "Roll-Up Summary" as the type

2) I name it "Betacount"

3) I choose "Opportunity Product" as the Summarized Object and "COUNT" as the Roll-Up Type.

4) I choose the "Only records meeting certain criteria..." radio button.

The problem is that in my choices for "Field" in the criteria, the "Betalook" field is not available. It is also not an available field in the "Field to aggregate" picklist if I choose SUM, MIN, or MAX. The Roll-Up Summary help files states: "Roll-up summary fields can calculate the values of formula fields if they do not contain functions that automatically derive values on the fly, such as NOW or TODAY." So, why can't I filter on the field? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to do the following, your help would be much appreciated:

• I have a custom field in Product called Origin
  • I have created another custom field in Opportunity Product called Origin
  • When a Product is selected on an Opportunity, I would like to fill the second Origin field with the value of the Origin field from Product.

I have seen a possible solution using Workflows, however I do not feel this will be workable for the future. I would prefer to use a formula field, unless someone else has a better solution!

In a nutshell I want the various custom fields that I have created under Product to be available under Opportunity Product as well.

Anyone's swift help would be much appreciated! 

Hi,

How can I find the list of properties supported from a Global variable like $User?

Thanks,

Henry 

We would like the free text fields that I have created in the Campaign Object to auto populate from the Event Start Date and Time and Event End Date and Time which are date&time fields.

Is there an advanced formula I could use? Or another way around this?

Currently getting this error message:

Error: formula result is data type (DateTime) incompatible with expected data type (text)

Thanks

Fresh off the press, the ultimate landing page for all formula newbies who desire to be gurus:

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/An_Introduction_to_Formulas

I am very open to constructive feedback on this article (it is very easy to edit), so please let me know what you think.

- Mary

We are trying to build some fields on one object to pull information from another object. We were able to do this on date and text fields using the cross-object formula outlined in the SFDC help. However, there is not a formula type for a pick-list, so how do we create a cross-object formula that will pull a pick-list value from another object? We logged a case with SFDC and received a response that this is possible, but as we have standard support, they couldn't tell us how to do it - very frustrating.  We tried the ISPICKLIST based off another post, but couldn't get that to work with the cross-object formula; maybe we're just missing a set of parentheses - has anyone built this type of formula successfully?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
  • April 16, 2009